FI Build Up - Vee Dub Nut Build #2
- supaninja
- Posts: 1658
- Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 pm
Re: FI Build Up - Vee Dub Nut Build #2
Steve-O is da man! Did you make it out to VW Harvest last weekend, it was a friggin blast!

'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
- Vee Dub Nut
- Posts: 1156
- Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am
Re: FI Build Up - Vee Dub Nut Build #2
Yea he is.. I've bought lots of parts off of him.supaninja wrote:Steve-O is da man! Did you make it out to VW Harvest last weekend, it was a friggin blast!
No on the harvest... been really busy and had stuff come up, so I didn't make it. I was supposed to ride up with Bill (light blue rag oval with the 17" escras)
- Vee Dub Nut
- Posts: 1156
- Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am
Re: FI Build Up - Vee Dub Nut Build #2
I'm not planning on taking the engine down. Its a known quantity right now, been running it NA for about 6 months without ANY issues. The one oil pressure problem I did have back after I first built it was easily resolved, and not so much as a hiccup since. I do have this in mind though the next time it comes apart. Lets hope my hand is not forced on that56speedster wrote:Lookin' good! I don't know if you would be interested in doing this or not but if you haven't opened up some of the passages inside the aluminum case, now would be a good time to do it and it wouldn't cost anything.
- supaninja
- Posts: 1658
- Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 pm
Re: FI Build Up - Vee Dub Nut Build #2
Vee Dub Nut wrote:Yea he is.. I've bought lots of parts off of him.supaninja wrote:Steve-O is da man! Did you make it out to VW Harvest last weekend, it was a friggin blast!
No on the harvest... been really busy and had stuff come up, so I didn't make it. I was supposed to ride up with Bill (light blue rag oval with the 17" escras)
That Oval was nice but that guy was showing off his stereo at Top Notch
You missed a really awesome weekend.

'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
- Vee Dub Nut
- Posts: 1156
- Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am
Re: FI Build Up - Vee Dub Nut Build #2
Think you got him confused with someone else, don't think he was up on Saturday (doesn't sound like him either).. dunnosupaninja wrote:Vee Dub Nut wrote:Yea he is.. I've bought lots of parts off of him.supaninja wrote:Steve-O is da man! Did you make it out to VW Harvest last weekend, it was a friggin blast!
No on the harvest... been really busy and had stuff come up, so I didn't make it. I was supposed to ride up with Bill (light blue rag oval with the 17" escras)
That Oval was nice but that guy was showing off his stereo at Top Notch![]()
You missed a really awesome weekend.
Yea.. been enjoying the photos from the show. Oh well, always next year. I went last year when I was still running the 1915 turbo motor.
- supaninja
- Posts: 1658
- Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 pm
Re: FI Build Up - Vee Dub Nut Build #2
Pulling into Top Notch (the shift rod support bracket broke on the way):

At the harvest:

Hopefully I confused your buddy.

At the harvest:

Hopefully I confused your buddy.

'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
- Vee Dub Nut
- Posts: 1156
- Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am
Re: FI Build Up - Vee Dub Nut Build #2
Yea, I was wanting to see your ride too. Read over your blog earlier, but wanted to see the car first hand.
We'll I'm hoping to be up and running long before, but my drop dead date is before the Tx Classic next year...
We'll I'm hoping to be up and running long before, but my drop dead date is before the Tx Classic next year...
- Vee Dub Nut
- Posts: 1156
- Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am
Re: FI Build Up - Vee Dub Nut Build #2
Making some more headway... I should hopefully start having some more regular updates as I have a load of parts heading to me that will let me finish knocking up the engine and getting it back in the car. Then the fun with building the MS and wiring everything will begin.
Got the tins all cleaned and painted and reinstalled...

Got a k-type probe installed for head temp...

Also worked up a VR sensor mount. This came out pretty similar to what I built last time. It worked well for me before, and I couldn't think of anything that would work better...


Didn't get any pictures, but I bent up a piece of 1/4 stainless tubing under the tank to be the return line. I'll use a jumper from the tunnel to the line, and then between the line and the tank.
Anyways... hopefully more to come this week. Plan on finishing paint on my intake and charge pipe, drilling and mounting the 36-1 wheel to the pulley, installing the new clutch, and hopefully painting and installing the header & wastegate.
Keep watching for more!

Got the tins all cleaned and painted and reinstalled...

Got a k-type probe installed for head temp...

Also worked up a VR sensor mount. This came out pretty similar to what I built last time. It worked well for me before, and I couldn't think of anything that would work better...


Didn't get any pictures, but I bent up a piece of 1/4 stainless tubing under the tank to be the return line. I'll use a jumper from the tunnel to the line, and then between the line and the tank.
Anyways... hopefully more to come this week. Plan on finishing paint on my intake and charge pipe, drilling and mounting the 36-1 wheel to the pulley, installing the new clutch, and hopefully painting and installing the header & wastegate.
Keep watching for more!

- supaninja
- Posts: 1658
- Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:48 pm
Re: FI Build Up - Vee Dub Nut Build #2
Looking good dude!

'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
- Vee Dub Nut
- Posts: 1156
- Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am
Re: FI Build Up - Vee Dub Nut Build #2
Well, got the first load of parts in today..
Anyways, to start out I had to pull the deep sump back off and make a small change to it. Everything was pretty straight forward with nothing to exciting to report. Its all buttoned back up and ready. Also got my new Kennedy STG II pressure plate in and installed. Should be more equipped to hold back some power.
When unpacking the header and wastegate from CB, I found out that they are no longer using their original billet wastegate, but have changed up the header to accommodate the TurboSmart UltraGate38. Don't know if this is the norm, or I got an upgrade, but I'm definately not complaining.

Anyway, fiddled around with it a bit. Gonna have to boot up the CD that came with it to figure it all out, but looking forward to running it. Supposed to be a good product...
While I was at it I threw the header up on the engine stand to see how it fits. I've got a potential intermediate turbo headed my way that is supposed to show tomorrow that I want to check fit with. I'm hoping it will get me up and running while I can save my pennies for a new custom built unit. I unfortunately just don't have the budget to swing a new one right now, so fingers crossed....

More to come...
Anyways, to start out I had to pull the deep sump back off and make a small change to it. Everything was pretty straight forward with nothing to exciting to report. Its all buttoned back up and ready. Also got my new Kennedy STG II pressure plate in and installed. Should be more equipped to hold back some power.
When unpacking the header and wastegate from CB, I found out that they are no longer using their original billet wastegate, but have changed up the header to accommodate the TurboSmart UltraGate38. Don't know if this is the norm, or I got an upgrade, but I'm definately not complaining.

Anyway, fiddled around with it a bit. Gonna have to boot up the CD that came with it to figure it all out, but looking forward to running it. Supposed to be a good product...
While I was at it I threw the header up on the engine stand to see how it fits. I've got a potential intermediate turbo headed my way that is supposed to show tomorrow that I want to check fit with. I'm hoping it will get me up and running while I can save my pennies for a new custom built unit. I unfortunately just don't have the budget to swing a new one right now, so fingers crossed....

More to come...
- Vee Dub Nut
- Posts: 1156
- Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am
Re: FI Build Up - Vee Dub Nut Build #2
Deleted... Multiple posts when the forum was being buggy
Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Vee Dub Nut
- Posts: 1156
- Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am
Re: FI Build Up - Vee Dub Nut Build #2
Deleted... Multiple posts when the forum was being buggy
Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Vee Dub Nut
- Posts: 1156
- Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am
Re: FI Build Up - Vee Dub Nut Build #2
Deleted... Multiple posts when the forum was being buggy
Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Vee Dub Nut
- Posts: 1156
- Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am
Re: FI Build Up - Vee Dub Nut Build #2
Well the potential turbo didn't pan out... It was a crap shoot and someone was nice enough to send it my way to see if it would fit, but alas, no dice. Still on the hunt, but have some time yet...
Did get a new coat of paint on my intake and charge pipe tonight. The first paint job sort of when south on me, so I re-blasted everything and started over with some different paint. So far so good!
Did get a new coat of paint on my intake and charge pipe tonight. The first paint job sort of when south on me, so I re-blasted everything and started over with some different paint. So far so good!
-
Clonebug
- Posts: 4763
- Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:28 pm
Re: FI Build Up - Vee Dub Nut Build #2
No pic of said turbo???
You know how the saying goes.......
This thread is w................
Clonebug
You know how the saying goes.......
This thread is w................
Clonebug