Building the Ultimate Killer Bee!

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

They are dirty and probably a little blurry in that pic. How can you tell from that pic they are worn out? They look fine in real life. What should I look for? How can I tell if they need replaced?
User avatar
bajaherbie
Posts: 9967
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Post by bajaherbie »

shawn, i like your new paint color. its so bright i can see it from my house....
User avatar
scott the viking
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am

Post by scott the viking »

thrown_hammer wrote:They are dirty and probably a little blurry in that pic. How can you tell from that pic they are worn out? They look fine in real life. What should I look for? How can I tell if they need replaced?

Image
User avatar
takotruckin
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:40 pm

Post by takotruckin »

thrown_hammer wrote:They are dirty and probably a little blurry in that pic. How can you tell from that pic they are worn out? They look fine in real life. What should I look for? How can I tell if they need replaced?
FYI, they will get worn on the inside, where you cant see.

cool car
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

I pulled the fuel cell and seats out so the local lawman could sign off my out of state title. All the #s matched up. I was sweating that a little. I am going to take the oppurtunity to clean the inside all up and paint it with JD Blitz Black before I reinstall everything...
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Returning to that suspect front bushing. There is a gap between the bushing and beam. I jacked the car up to change the front tires tonight and noticed when I jack up the bottom of the shock to get the front tire off the ground the gap goes away. Does this point with out a shadow of a doubt to worn bushings? If so is it just the one, both on that side, or all four? It currently has the poly bushings if that makes any difference.
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

If there is a suspect, take it apart and inspect your parts, it is alot easier replacing worn part then a broken one. Check for slop in all the joints and hardware, sometimes a nut or bolt will get stretched or bent. Glad your numbers matched up, You WIN!
User avatar
shmoishere
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:29 pm

Post by shmoishere »

I can almost gurantee you have sacked bushings, just by looking at the camber of the front wheels. Actually, I can even tell you that you probably BACKED the car into position before taking that pic. Plus, Tako is wrong, it will wear your tires on the outside edges while the vehicle is in motion, due to the toe in.

Do this. Jack the front end up. Grab a tire and try to wiggle it. I bet the beam bushings walk around like a wooden spoon in a plastic bowl. that should give you a rough idea of their condition. I am just trying to help. I hope you don't take my input as sarcasim.

Good Luck,

SHMO
User avatar
subybaja
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:56 pm

Post by subybaja »

I can even tell you that you probably BACKED the car into position
Yeah, that chainlink is a dead giveaway... :wink:
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

subybaja wrote:
I can even tell you that you probably BACKED the car into position
Yeah, that chainlink is a dead giveaway... :wink:
They put that up right after I got there... :D

I did "wiggle" the tire around and it didn't do the wooden bowl dance. I think I will order new bushings and pull it apart. Heck the whole set is only $25. I called Moore Parts and they told me I needed the warrior beam bushings. Is this right? Their return policy is not user friendly so I want to be sure I order the right parts.

How difficult is it to take the beam apart? I've never done it.
User avatar
shmoishere
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:29 pm

Post by shmoishere »

Easy to take the suspension out. Here is the catch, not all beam bushings are the same. You really need to measure your beam to order the correct bushings, and personally I would ditch the idea of urethane bushings all together. Purchase the Micarta bushings. The will last you a lot longer. Get in touch with Dansperformance.com. He will help you out. Tell him SHMO sent you.

SHMO
User avatar
scott the viking
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am

Post by scott the viking »

shmoishere wrote: Tell him SHMO sent you.

SHMO

Or you could just tell him that his Wife is fat. Should have about the same affect. :lol:
User avatar
shmoishere
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:29 pm

Post by shmoishere »

HAHAHAHA,

ya maybe you shouldn't use my name.

SHMO
User avatar
subybaja
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:56 pm

Post by subybaja »

Yeah, I was gonna say take em apart and measure, too. Mine went in the first time with a mallet, and then the arms wouldn't move.
As far as Moore's- screw them. If they're not willing to take returns on parts that don't fit, why would you shop there? Go with Dan's, or Kartek, or one of the real offroad places, not just Johnny's Speed and Chrome. IMHO.
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Can you guys tell by looking at the pictures what bushings I need? The beam is prety wide, has old school adjusters, and the grease zerts are on the back of the beam if that helps.

This is my daily driver so i don't want to take it apart, measure, put bad pars back in, drive for a week whike i wait on parts to show up, pull the bad parts back out again, and put the new ones in... 8)
Post Reply