my stock 1600 dp turbo build!

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
1938vw
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!

Post by 1938vw »

The whole alternator is DEAD!

Here's what happened, it wasn't water after all it was a loose screw inside!

At the dog house end of the alternator there are two threads to attach the tin to one of them came out of its threaded hole and wedged between the body and the internal bit.

Image

You can see how it's arced on the body.

Inside the other end the wire that connects to the "B+" terminal has melted all the insulation off of it

Image


Long story "short" ha ha I need a new one.



In other news my new narrower wings arrived and my wheels won't fit!

Image

Image

Image


Basically a crap day!
MY JUNKYARD 1600T BUG IS NOW ON THE ROAD, THANKS STF USERS FOR ALL THE HELP!
SEE MY ENGINE BUILD
HERE
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL HERE
Boardpaul
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!

Post by Boardpaul »

What width wheels?
Just about to get some rears banded and hoping 8s will fit with a small amount of stretch.
1938vw
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!

Post by 1938vw »

These are 9s I was under the impression 8s would fit under stock wings but now I'm not sure!
MY JUNKYARD 1600T BUG IS NOW ON THE ROAD, THANKS STF USERS FOR ALL THE HELP!
SEE MY ENGINE BUILD
HERE
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL HERE
1938vw
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!

Post by 1938vw »

I fixed it! 225 60s off 195 65's on, sorted!!
Before:

Image

Now:

Image


Almost identical look no failing on the wing!
MY JUNKYARD 1600T BUG IS NOW ON THE ROAD, THANKS STF USERS FOR ALL THE HELP!
SEE MY ENGINE BUILD
HERE
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL HERE
Boardpaul
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!

Post by Boardpaul »

So 9s fit! That's tempting. What wheels are they?
I'm getting wide 5 solids banded. Don't mind a small bit of stretch either.
1938vw
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!

Post by 1938vw »

Well the wings are 2" wider too remember.
Here are the wheels under a normal width wing.

Image

Image


Here's a better pic of the wheels itself

Image

Image
MY JUNKYARD 1600T BUG IS NOW ON THE ROAD, THANKS STF USERS FOR ALL THE HELP!
SEE MY ENGINE BUILD
HERE
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL HERE
Boardpaul
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!

Post by Boardpaul »

Cheers for that. May stick with 7s as standard wings. It's a 65 on wide 5 rims.
Will do a bit more research.
1938vw
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!

Post by 1938vw »

7's would look good I think ;)
MY JUNKYARD 1600T BUG IS NOW ON THE ROAD, THANKS STF USERS FOR ALL THE HELP!
SEE MY ENGINE BUILD
HERE
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL HERE
1938vw
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!

Post by 1938vw »

Well then folks this is were my turbo story ends.

It's been great fun both building and driving this crazy bug!!
I'd like to thank you all for your input, advice and general chit chat.

The whole set up is coming off in favour of a mildly tuned 1600 NA engine.

My set up it for sale if anyone in the uk is interested let me know.

I may go turbo in the future but if I do it will be bigger and better! Better start saving some monies!!!

Thanks again guys, I'll be around on here but not in the forced induction section much any more!!!
MY JUNKYARD 1600T BUG IS NOW ON THE ROAD, THANKS STF USERS FOR ALL THE HELP!
SEE MY ENGINE BUILD
HERE
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL HERE
Boardpaul
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!

Post by Boardpaul »

Reasons for the change?
I'm interested to hear what made you decide to take it off.
What parts are for sale or is it a complete engine?
1938vw
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!

Post by 1938vw »

Hey buddy. Well, I enjoyed it and it worked well but I think it's not for me. My wife hates it and I wanted it to be "our" car now, she had a bug and misses it like crazy!! I want a more economical ride too so I can use it more often, I couldn't keep off the boost!!!

The whole set up is for sale, too much to list but literally everything to make a NA 1600 a 1600 hideaway turbo!!
MY JUNKYARD 1600T BUG IS NOW ON THE ROAD, THANKS STF USERS FOR ALL THE HELP!
SEE MY ENGINE BUILD
HERE
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL HERE
1938vw
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!

Post by 1938vw »

everything turbo is now sold off the car!

what do i do now in regards to the thread??

i'd like to continue it on but as its now going to be an NA engine it has no place here. can it be moved in its entirety?
MY JUNKYARD 1600T BUG IS NOW ON THE ROAD, THANKS STF USERS FOR ALL THE HELP!
SEE MY ENGINE BUILD
HERE
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL HERE
Boardpaul
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: my stock 1600 dp turbo build!

Post by Boardpaul »

Get a second engine and start building a bigger turbo motor ;)
Then get something to put it in.
Post Reply