Motorbreath53's Baja... is still ALIVE

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
motorbreath53
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 5:57 pm

Post by motorbreath53 »

I was gunna do the bumper for him anyway Copper... so, I was thinking of offering someone in the "DEEP END" some old wrenches i've got laying around.... (for their fabricator/mechanic to use of course... wouldn't wan't any dirty hands operating the off-road car)

As for my neighbor in Poway, it can't drive without the tires that you've denied me... :lol:

...oh, and the brakes aren't fixed yet... My shed should be done in a week or so though.. and then its on to the 2009 Baja Upgrade Extravaganza at the Leetch residence....

...come by to check it out anyway... (just don't show up without some SuperDiggers...) There will be cash and beer waiting in the garage... :lol:
Baja5 was right...
User avatar
motorbreath53
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 5:57 pm

Post by motorbreath53 »

MORE PARTS! I'm still collecting. I think I have a set of these locked down for a pretty outstanding deal... (get it? locked down-beadlocks... get it?... crack myself up.)
Image

yes, they are "real" beadlocks...
They are 15x6... and should be sweet wrapped in those Supperdiggers... that I purchased from my Poway neighbor with the second coolest VW t-181 i've ever seen. (Sorry PDM... but i'm sure you've seen MotoChris' car....)

but, i'm only getting the rears.. (no fronts available from my source that will remain nameless........no not her.)

So, I was thinking that finding a pair of black BTR 15x4's for the front would be just the ticket.

So, who has some 15x4 BTR's that need sold? black or not... I know a guy.
Baja5 was right...
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

Saw those on Craigs.

Word on the street is that they was a killer deal on them and some are reselling for a profit. Damn wheel flippers. :lol:
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
cwrisley
Posts: 882
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:44 pm

Post by cwrisley »

I heard those wheels aren't the only thing you've acquired lately!! :wink: :lol:
User avatar
motorbreath53
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 5:57 pm

Post by motorbreath53 »

CopperBaja wrote:Saw those on Craigs.

Word on the street is that they was a killer deal on them and some are reselling for a profit. Damn wheel flippers. :lol:
This may or may not be one of those gentlemen.... and I may or may not be getting them for the price he paid...

:D

I think $100 per wheel for brand new beadlocks is a fuggin deal.

And yea Wriz... the "other" purchase is behind my closed fence, and has most the camping goods from the LanceCamper swapped into it...

Thats a big ol' sombitch to tow... :lol:
Baja5 was right...
TCoville
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:27 pm

Post by TCoville »

motorbreath53 wrote:
CopperBaja wrote:Saw those on Craigs.

Word on the street is that they was a killer deal on them and some are reselling for a profit. Damn wheel flippers. :lol:
This may or may not be one of those gentlemen.... and I may or may not be getting them for the price he paid...

:D

I think $100 per wheel for brand new beadlocks is a fuggin deal.

And yea Wriz... the "other" purchase is behind my closed fence, and has most the camping goods from the LanceCamper swapped into it...

Thats a big ol' sombitch to tow... :lol:
Does the guy you got them from for 100 each have any more?

I really want a set of those but I have only seen sets of 5 or 6 on race dezert for like 200 each. I am pretty sure those guys are flipping them from the group buy.

What size tires are you planning on running? I don't know anything about tire sizing so I have been trying to figure out what the widest tire you could fit on those rims is (are they 6 or 6.5? I have seen people say both).
User avatar
motorbreath53
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 5:57 pm

Post by motorbreath53 »

I'm getting em from a buddy that ended up with 4 and only needed two. He says they are 6in wide ... but either way, i'm running the 33x10.5 Yokohama SuperDigger's that i've got..
Baja5 was right...
User avatar
Punchdrunk Monkey
Posts: 840
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:17 am

Post by Punchdrunk Monkey »

I sold 5 of those (not on this site). I do know a couple people that bought 20-30 of them and were flipping them. If opportunity knocks on the door, you gotta answer. They say 6" wide but if you measure them they are 6.5".

Motorbreath- be careful taking the beadlock bolts out. I know a few were cross threaded and breaking the bolts. Make sure you use anti-seize when re-installing the bolts.

You also might want to consider running tubes with those. If you do, get the heavy duty ones with the threaded valve stem. Parkhouse Tire in Kearny Mesa should have them.
User avatar
motorbreath53
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 5:57 pm

Post by motorbreath53 »

I'm all in on running tubes... Is there any downside to tubes other than a bit more weight?
Baja5 was right...
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

motorbreath53 wrote:I'm all in on running tubes... Is there any downside to tubes other than a bit more weight?
in low pressure situations, they can get pinched in the wheel and pop. Then youre F'ed if the beadlock doesnt hold air :lol:
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
Punchdrunk Monkey
Posts: 840
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:17 am

Post by Punchdrunk Monkey »

motorbreath53 wrote:I'm all in on running tubes... Is there any downside to tubes other than a bit more weight?
If your running the pro-comp wheels, the tube weight won't make a difference. Those wheels are HEAVY!
User avatar
bajaherbie
Posts: 9967
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Post by bajaherbie »

Punchdrunk Monkey wrote:
motorbreath53 wrote:I'm all in on running tubes... Is there any downside to tubes other than a bit more weight?
If your running the pro-comp wheels, the tube weight won't make a difference. Those wheels are HEAVY!
heavier than a BTR beadlock? i weighed mine (15 x 4) and it was a bit less than a wide five steelie....
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 3509
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Post by Skidmark »

I pinched a tube in my rear BTR... I will never run tubes in them again. No valve stem, no inflate. Taking the tire off in the field to remove the tube, I don't think so! So carrying an extra stem just in case is not a good option...

Tubes in bead locks? Been there, done that. Won't do it again...
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
User avatar
motorbreath53
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 5:57 pm

Post by motorbreath53 »

Punchdrunk Monkey wrote: If your running the pro-comp wheels, the tube weight won't make a difference. Those wheels are HEAVY!
...are you trying to tell me that somthing from Pro-Comp is less than top of the line?

.... I won't hear it. Your just upset that I get to run the heavy, prone to cross threading beadlocks on my car.

Jealousy is a stinky perfume friend.....

I'll think about the tubes a bit more. Seems like, if don't airdown too much, the tubes would be a good thing right? Less likely to flat?

And really, in most cases, If I were to flat a rear tire, i'd be sticking my spare on and cruising back to camp to fix the flat anyway. So, my "field fix" would involve power/air tools that can now accompany me to the desert. So, changing a tube would be annoying... but no more annoying in that case than swapping a tire....

So.. sofar, I think i'm sold on the tubes... but please guys... I love the opinions... keep em coming.
Baja5 was right...
User avatar
Hedrock
Moderator
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Post by Hedrock »

No tubes for me. With no tubes if you get a small hole you can always plug it. With tubes... not so easy.
Collecting parts again... No I'm not going to say why!
Post Reply