FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
User avatar
Vee Dub Nut
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am

Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

CLKWRK wrote:very clean install
Thanks!
User avatar
MarioVelotta
Posts: 4086
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:01 am

Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1

Post by MarioVelotta »

Your going to be on the road in no time :P
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
User avatar
JSL56
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:30 am

Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1

Post by JSL56 »

Looks GREAT Vee Dub Nut!!

Loving the nice neat install! Please please keep us posted with lots and lots of pics of your install! :D

Cant wait for the next update!

J
56 Bug Rat-look http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=583273
54 Bug Cal-look Project http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,9879.0.html
Lil'1200cc OR 1600cc turbo engine project
Redline Weber

FI Build-up - EDIS "missing tooth"

Post by Redline Weber »

Again, a great "pictorial", your EDIS drawing stating missing tooth location is the best I have seen AND I agree.

My "haste" comes for MY world wherein the "common" question "Which tooth is TDC on the FORD engine EEC-V OEM ? ".

I too am enjoying the continued reports, now another observation :

1. The pictured fuel pressure regulator shows NO manifold pressure reference, am I correct ?

If this IS the case, then the BARO fuel correction may need to be INVERTED. (NPC vs PPC)

I would be WORTHY to discuss the section of the MS calibration "object" that does this work.

Lance
User avatar
Vee Dub Nut
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am

Re: FI Build-up - EDIS "missing tooth"

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

Redline Weber wrote:Again, a great "pictorial", your EDIS drawing stating missing tooth location is the best I have seen AND I agree.

My "haste" comes for MY world wherein the "common" question "Which tooth is TDC on the FORD engine EEC-V OEM ? ".
Oh, ok.. By the way, I stole that picture from the MegaManual
Redline Weber wrote: I too am enjoying the continued reports, now another observation :

1. The pictured fuel pressure regulator shows NO manifold pressure reference, am I correct ?
Correct, there is no manifold pressure reference.
Redline Weber wrote: If this IS the case, then the BARO fuel correction may need to be INVERTED. (NPC vs PPC)

I would be WORTHY to discuss the section of the MS calibration "object" that does this work.

Lance
Tell me more. This is all new to me, and I'm still learning. I know that several people have used this regulator with MS without issue, but I'm not aware if there was any specific modifications done to the MS or code to do so.
Redline Weber

Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1 "BARO"

Post by Redline Weber »

The modern EMS will have a 100% dedicated Barometric pressure sensor. (BARO)
This method IS REQUIRED to provide real time information concerning changes in altitude (air pressure) to the EMS
The other required "load" sensor could be MAP, TPS, MAF, etc.

The "Redline" EMS has this feature (MAP & BARO TWO separate sensors board mounted).
This feature states that I may have correct information provided by my observations AND our users.

Now for a succinct description :

1.The BARO correction with the fuel regulator "ported" to open air pressure will need an INCREASE (add fuel) in fuel correction when the engine is "throttled" to maintain constant AFR.
2.The BARO correction with the fuel regulator "ported" to manifold will need a DECREASE (remove fuel) in the fuel correction when the engine is "throttled" to maintain constant AFR.

Now, I am not a MS user/expert, someone else needs to share that area of the GUI (object) that can be adjusted in your case.

Lance
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1

Post by miniman82 »

The simple fix is a regulator that's properly referenced, but you could always do the MAPdaddy mod so you'll have 100% realtime BARO correction. DIY Autotune sells a kit, I think. In my experience, it's not a real big deal unless you climb mountains all day long. Even going over the Grapevine in CA I didn't notice the difference, it just runs a little richer is all. You can do a running restart if need be at altitude to recalibrate the ECU, MS takes a BARO reading in the first few cycles when it's switched on. Just push in the clutch, kill the engine, then restart it.
Redline Weber

Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1 "BARO"

Post by Redline Weber »

My Point, missed by "miniman", is that the MS has NO code to support the position of the fuel regulator air pressure reference location.

The statement, if correct about "MAPdaddy", would make the BARO correction in the opposite direction.

Lance
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1 "BARO"

Post by miniman82 »

Lance, when I can understand what you're typing I'll attempt to answer what you post.
User avatar
WickedWagens
Posts: 775
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:33 pm

Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1

Post by WickedWagens »

miniman82 wrote:Lance, when I can understand what you're typing I'll attempt to answer what you post.
What i don't understand is the constant thread jacking to push the redline product, and put down everyone elses way of doing things.
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1

Post by miniman82 »

I wasn't gonna go there, since I do my fair share of pushing MS/MJ stuff around here (though I don't make a dime off it). I just wish I could understand him(?).
Redline Weber

FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1

Post by Redline Weber »

My concern is to help all those here with information including "Vee Dub Nut" AND those who produce the MS code.

When I see an EFI problem, I will try to correct, solve, or repair the issue.

The point of "BARO" correction with respect to the fuel regulator "air reference location" is often overlooked.
This is even stated by remarks made by "miniman".

THAT is my point AND if incorporated into MS code those users would have a better running engine.

Now, lets work together and FIX the problem that is stated by "miniman".

Lance
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1

Post by miniman82 »

I think some reading comprehension is what's needed here Lance, because you've misunderstood me again. What I said was if you reference the regulator correctly and put the mapdaddy on, you'll never have to worry about altitude because MS will correct for that. But like I said, it's not that big a deal. If you're very worried about it, you can always restart the engine and it'll run just fine at altitude.
User avatar
Vee Dub Nut
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am

Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

Man.. just been beat the last few nights after work, and didn't get much done on the car. After a few good nights sleep to catch back up, the wifey and I covered the ECM mount. My wifey is very handy with the sewing machine and fabrics, so I enlisted her help to get the mount covered.

As it started:

Image

I broke it all down on the table

Image

Started cutting out my vinyl

Image

Couple a folds here and a couple there, blam blam with the staple gun and whalah.

Image

I put some velcro on the bottom of the upright supports so it would bite into the carpet and stay put. Here it is in the car

Image

And some of my wiring notes I made when I was flying to alabama last week

Image

I'll be using the terminal blocks to distribute out some power between a few different things, as well as provide a central location for all of my engine grounds.

Anyways.. hope to make some good strides in getting the wiring in order this weekend.
User avatar
JSL56
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:30 am

Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1

Post by JSL56 »

That looks lovely! Very nice neat job there!!

I have to admit though that that wiring diagram looks SCARY! :shock: Is it really as scary as it looks? Or is it actually kinda straight forward? Sounds like you might be playing with more than just the MS wiring.

Awesome stuff dude! :P

J
56 Bug Rat-look http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=583273
54 Bug Cal-look Project http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,9879.0.html
Lil'1200cc OR 1600cc turbo engine project
Post Reply