Gas Heater for a "67 bug

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
landrocket

Gas Heater for a "67 bug

Post by landrocket »

Got our first taste of cold in Denver and want to know who is running gas heaters. Worth it? Easy to install? Any info is appreciated. I have only seen pics, never one up close. It looks like the exhaust is just blowing around next to the gas tank? Yes? Safe? Thx. Ron
Stray Catalyst

Re: Gas Heater for a "67 bug

Post by Stray Catalyst »

I have no actual experience with them - but I've never heard of them being any more prone to fires than the rest of the VW bug. If you're going to get one, buy one of the name brands or an original - they're often posted on Samba.

Stray
Bugfuel

Post by Bugfuel »

I have used them for decades, different models and brands. There is no better way to get heat in a VW!

Absolutely love them, and if you install them properly, they are safe. All of them have failsafe systems and automatic shutoffs.
Exhaust is routed into the driver's side fenderwell, outside of the car. You can run an exhaust piupe extension all the way to the floorpan height. Some models are picky about having ~equal lenght intake and exhaust pipes to maintain proper airflow.

Some glow plug models are getting hard to find, see if you can find spares for the model you are intending to buy, before making your decision.

My favorite is the Eberspacher BN4, one with both glow and spark plugs, and a thermostat to adjust output heat. They are BIG, so they don't fit in the B2/BN2 location by the gas tank. I managed to fit a BN4 in the spare tire well in my 68.

Pay attention to wiring. Do quality work, and wire them exactly as instructed, and use heavy gauge +12V wire to feed it. They draw a lot of power while starting.
landrocket

Post by landrocket »

Thanks for the info, Ron
Turbinepowered

Post by Turbinepowered »

How big of an impact do they have on fuel economy, out of curiousity?
david58

Post by david58 »

Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Bugfuel

Post by Bugfuel »

Turbinepowered wrote:How big of an impact do they have on fuel economy, out of curiousity?

They burn half a pint to a pint an hour or so?
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Bugfuel wrote:
Turbinepowered wrote:How big of an impact do they have on fuel economy, out of curiousity?

sooooo.....like in gallons?
Turbinepowered

Post by Turbinepowered »

kangaboy wrote:
Bugfuel wrote:
sooooo.....like in gallons?

Well, with 8 pints to a gallon, looks like you'd burn an extra gallon or two over the course of a long trip. Not bad, honestly.
spencer.adams

Post by spencer.adams »

What are some of the brand names making these? Are they still being made? Does anyone have an Eberspacher BN4 for sale? I wondering with all the new stuff I've seen with people restoring components, is there any small business out there rebuilding these or others like them? Thanks
spencer.adams

Post by spencer.adams »

Idid find one person on Samba restoring the Eberspacher's in Denver, CO. If you search for Eberspacher heater on Samba it will take you right to the adds. I plan on looing into one for my 67 Sunroof Beetle. Not freezing cold here on hte VA coast, but the winters do get a little chilly.
odette

Post by odette »

I had a 1969 VW Mini Rolls and it had a Borg & Warner gas heater. I loved it especially in our sub-zero temps in the upper midwest. The car was toasty warm within minutes of turning on the heater. My 1963 with stock heat was like sitting in a freezer once it got to 20 degrees. Looking for my next VW Beetle and it will have to have a gas heater.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I've used them for over 20 years in my bugs. Only way to go with real heavy winter use.

The exhaust pipe runs in the inner fender down towards ground.
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

I put an early bn4 in my bug and it works great! I did however have to modify the heater outlet to fit in the nose but well worth it for almost instant heat:)Image
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I suspect “modern fuel” would dissolve, swap meet OEM units if they were not all ways missing metering pumps, fittings, and harness. Has anybody searched the usual retailers for “12v gasoline air heater” and been brave enough to try something like?
http://www.car-parkingheater.com/

Cost wise it doesn’t seem bad. Who is brave enough to try?
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.