DISCLAIMER- I am by no means a shock expert. I know just enough to get my shocks apart and back together (hopefully without extra parts).
First release the nitrogen from the shock. Then place the shock in a vise upside down.

Loosen set screw on bottom cap. Unscrew cap. Rescrew on cap a few threads. Ever-so-lovingly, tap on cap with mallet. This will free up the piston in the shock. Now unthread the cap and slide up the shaft. Push down on the piston and you'll see a clip. Remove clip. Now slowly remove the shaft/piston from the shock body. Let the oil drain back into body.


Now you can see the shock piston and valve shims. There is also a teflon ring around the piston.

Take the nut off the the end of the shaft and remove all shims. I lay them on a clean rag in the order they came off the shaft. Compression is on the bottom of the piston and rebound is on top. I meassured each shim, both thickness and diameter, and noted them. Then refer to your handy Fox Shox cheat sheet (available on thier website) for valving. Ends up I have 50/50.



Now repeat the process in reverse and reassemble your shock. And don't spill the oil.
So now once I have the car running I can make adjustments as necessary based off of this info.
