Transmissions for Dummies

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

Stock93 wrote:What would you like to see. I've got pictures of the 091 midshift reverse gear setup and I can take some of the 091 noseshift showing the differences.

John
Any pics you post in this thread will be a great addition to this thread. So post them all.
Stock93
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:01 am

Post by Stock93 »

This is the reverse gear setup from an 091 midshift. Note that the gears are helical cut instead of strait cut like an 091 noseshift. They are also not made onto a shift sleeve but instead are a constant mesh gearset. That shiny thing is a quarter for size reference.

John
Image

Image

Image
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

Thanks for sharing this info. Nice pics.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
birddog1148
Posts: 1444
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:42 am

Post by birddog1148 »

:shock: Why isnt this a sticky :shock:
I may look dumb, but that's just a disguise, I'm a master-mind in the field of espionage!
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Right here Transmissions
User avatar
birddog1148
Posts: 1444
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:42 am

Post by birddog1148 »

:oops: I'm so ashamed :oops:
I may look dumb, but that's just a disguise, I'm a master-mind in the field of espionage!
User avatar
airdreams1
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:53 pm

Post by airdreams1 »

I must be a tard......
All the gear ratio stuff may as well be greek! Im still lost as heck....
My little pee brain cant seem to figure out what speed you get with the different ratios....


This is what I think I understand:
higher = slower speed?
lower = faster speed?
But tire size changes everything?
& the motor size factors into the equasion as well?

No wonder why Im confused.

Oh, I was told that the type 1 68 long swing axle has a different gear ratio than the short swing axle. Its suppose to be a bit faster top end.
But like i said " I dont know squat about that tech stuff & cant seem to wrap my little gord around the info to make any sens of it!"
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Here are some links to gear ratio calculators, play with the gear numbers and you can see the differnce a gear size will make.

http://et-studios.com/motorsports/gears/gears.html

http://www.rocky-road.com/calculator.html
Last edited by Leatherneck on Tue May 19, 2009 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
fusername
Posts: 6806
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am

Post by fusername »

airdreams, if you like graphs better than numbers you can easily make an excel plot that will show you your speed as you go through the gears. I could tell you how if the links don't answer all your questions.

edit by leatherneck, offending pop up thread removed, hince removal of info pertaining to flagged web site. Thanks for watching out for us.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
User avatar
turboblue
Posts: 3969
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:01 am

Post by turboblue »

Bump, this should be a sticky.
Gary

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy
2013 Polaris Ranger 4x4
Image
My Website
Shop Facebook Page
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

turboblue wrote:Bump, this should be a sticky.
It is
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... ns+dummies
The Transaxle Forum
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=50
It is just kinda hidden.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

Transmission for Dummies is also a sticky in the Newbie forum
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=102124
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
turboblue
Posts: 3969
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:01 am

Post by turboblue »

david58 wrote:Transmission for Dummies is also a sticky in the Newbie forum
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=102124
It is?

That looks like this thread.
Wherever it is it needs to be readily noticeable...
Gary

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy
2013 Polaris Ranger 4x4
Image
My Website
Shop Facebook Page
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

turboblue wrote:
david58 wrote:Transmission for Dummies is also a sticky in the Newbie forum
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=102124
It is?

That looks like this thread.
Wherever it is it needs to be readily noticeable...
It is the same thread I don't know how to make it any more noticeable. This search engine we have needs a tweak or twak. :wink:
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
turboblue
Posts: 3969
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:01 am

Post by turboblue »

david58 wrote:
turboblue wrote:
david58 wrote:Transmission for Dummies is also a sticky in the Newbie forum
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=102124
It is?

That looks like this thread.
Wherever it is it needs to be readily noticeable...
It is the same thread I don't know how to make it any more noticeable. This search engine we have needs a tweak or twak. :wink:
It was way down the pages in the off road forum.
I guess I meant it needs to be stickied in this forum IMHO.
Lot of people, me included, only look at a few forums on here.
I went digging for it when 72bajaben was asking about a swing axle.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=126029
Gary

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy
2013 Polaris Ranger 4x4
Image
My Website
Shop Facebook Page
Post Reply