Twowheeletex baja build, finally.

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
twowheeletex
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am

Post by twowheeletex »

so looks like august fl_buggy.
User avatar
twowheeletex
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am

Post by twowheeletex »

so I've been plugging away, slowly. I ran in to a little snafu recently when I was told to remove it from the parking lot where I've been working on it in. It's now safely at a co workers house. here are some pictures of my progress.

Image

new tires for the front. the wheels and tires on the rear are from my rail.

Image

replaced the bent beam with one from a junk yard. nicely enough it's adjustable.

Image

all the lights are installed and operational. still some wiring left to do. waiting on an exhaust I ordered, and floor pans.

Image

but there she is so far. I won't have floor pans till the first of the year.
Last edited by twowheeletex on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
twowheeletex
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am

Post by twowheeletex »

so I got a welder for christmas, means I can finally put in my floor pans. just have to go pick them up from the parts house. also traded for some suitable exhaust. put all that in, tidy up some wiring and replace the brake lines and I'll be in business. I'm sure there's more, but that'll get me running down the road. anybody whose put in a few sets of pans. is there any tips you have?
User avatar
Hedrock
Moderator
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Post by Hedrock »

2008 ? :lol:
Collecting parts again... No I'm not going to say why!
User avatar
twowheeletex
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am

Post by twowheeletex »

friend of mine bought a new car and thought that'd be funny. it is and the windshield has a crack there, so it's staying till I get a new windshield.
User avatar
twowheeletex
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am

Post by twowheeletex »

so I traded the sandrail for some goodies
Last edited by twowheeletex on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
moneypit
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:14 pm

Post by moneypit »

So have you left this thing for dead in Shane's driveway? What's the news?

Beuhler?
User avatar
twowheeletex
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am

Post by twowheeletex »

moneypit wrote:So have you left this thing for dead in Shane's driveway? What's the news?

Beuhler?
so the project has had some setbacks but it is still in the works. I have some updates. the pictures are taken at night with my cell phone so sorry for the poor quality.

I have moved the bug some fifty miles from the co-worker house I previously mentioned. it is now 25 miles north of base in a far more work friendly environment. I pulled the body and removed the floor pans only to find the forward bulkhead was garbage. so I ordered a new one. I wanted to wait until it came to hack the old one off. once I did cut it off I had to cut a piece of the lower bulkhead on the passenger side because it was eaten through.

Image

Image

I used some of the good metal in the upper part of the bulkhead to fabricate the lower piece I removed. all in all it turned out well. be easy on the welds. I was using a 110 volt flux core and it's been a while.

Image

Image

I welded the bulkhead in yesterday and just finished welding the new floor pans in just after dark this evening. I do not have pictures of that yet. more to come tomorrow. hopefully I can have this thing in good enough shape to take around the block one or twice before I deploy in the very near future.
I guess when your just hacking, not everything goes to plan.

My Build Thread
User avatar
twowheeletex
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am

Post by twowheeletex »

I put the body on today. by the time I got the bolts all tightened down it was dark and the mosquitoes where so bad, so no pictures of the fit. the pictures I do have are of the front bulkhead welds and the floor pans in place. I took these as I was lowering the body onto the pan because I only remembered at the last second. here they are.


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

pictures of the fit tomorrow probably. also I'll try to remember to take pictures of the welds on the underside of the pans.
I guess when your just hacking, not everything goes to plan.

My Build Thread
User avatar
Lotrat
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Post by Lotrat »

So did you ever figure out what the carbs were off of? That manifold won't fit that's for sure.
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Looking good.

I have no clue on the carb either, but if you can find some manifolds that will bolt up to them i dont see why you couldnt make it work?
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
twowheeletex
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am

Post by twowheeletex »

I've decided to stick with the 34pict3 that I have. it works well enough. the carbs are from an old bmw. the exact model escapes me right now. apparently those particular carbs are very popular in the RX-7 rotory community.
I guess when your just hacking, not everything goes to plan.

My Build Thread
User avatar
twowheeletex
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am

Post by twowheeletex »

so i got the body bolted on, all the fuel and brake lines run. the car starts runs and i even took it out yesterday. the only problem is RH rear brake cylinder is shot, so no brakes for the moment. before anyone gets up in arms about me driving with no brakes, the emergency brake works. as far as going around the neighborhood the whole area is sand, including the roads. it's 5 miles of clay road out to the house and the sand roads around the neighborhood are loose enough to offer plenty of breaking power.

here is a picture of the clay road.

Image

I plan on having pictures up tomorrow and maybe a video.

the engine runs like a champ but the body needs some more love. when driving over washboard sections of road it sounds like the whole thing will rattle apart at any moment.

though it's really rough right now and nowhere near close to finished, there is that awesome feeling of accomplishment. I brought a rust bucket pos that was left for dead to a running driving pos.
I guess when your just hacking, not everything goes to plan.

My Build Thread
User avatar
moneypit
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:14 pm

Post by moneypit »

It's a good thing that the pictures are blocked on the *cough* "work" computers because I'd probably make much fun of your welds. It's all in good fun, though. Did you get the engine for my Squareback running yet? Actually, never mind the engine- is the car still there? I haven't asked about it in ages!

Either way... glad to at least READ that some progress is being made! Thow a new wheel cylinder on it and take it for a rip through the sand before you get here- cuz once you get here you'll be thinking "man, my baja would be sooo much fun here!"
User avatar
twowheeletex
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am

Post by twowheeletex »

believe me, not having brakes isn't really holding me back. it limits my speed a little, but it's still fun.
I guess when your just hacking, not everything goes to plan.

My Build Thread
Post Reply