My BAJA is getting a Little work done to HimUpdate 14.08.09

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
Urabus
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:58 pm

My BAJA is getting a Little work done to HimUpdate 14.08.09

Post by Urabus »

Howdy.

We have started a body off rebuild of my BAJA.
Igor started life as a 1973 1300T/P beetle with swingaxle and drum brakes all round.

On the first build he got a new beam with disk brakes and BAJAed and then a bit later a EA81 subie with a turbo cam and 32/36 webber Carby
Now he is getting a adjustable front beam,2in body lift, Irs and 1600 kmobi box, new shocks all round and tree bars on the side and a full inside and out paint job.

I have removed all the old seam sealer from the body and pan and replaced with new sealer, Lucky he has very little rust only and few small hole under the rubber for the side windows and small hole in the seam in front of the left side door.

oky here are some photo's of what he looked like before this make over and some off what we have done so far.

Marc
Image
Image
Image
Image
Last edited by Urabus on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:19 am, edited 6 times in total.
User avatar
Urabus
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:58 pm

Pics

Post by Urabus »

Has you will see in these photo's the IRS is done and the gearbox mounts are done,
Next we are making the support for under the front of the gearbox then the straps front and rear of the box.
Once they are made we will move the clutchcable the throttle cable over to the left so they clear the box.
then we will remove the box and trailing arms so I can finish the pan, then I will clean and paint the trailing arms put new bearings and new rubbers for the torsion tube.
that will keep me busy for this weekend.

marc


Image
Image
Image
User avatar
kcnaz
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 pm

Post by kcnaz »

Looking good. U keeping the BJ front?
Offroading vicariously
User avatar
Urabus
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:58 pm

Post by Urabus »

Here are some pics of the front gearbox mount
Image
Image
there is a video playing at a 4WD park
Image

Marc
User avatar
Urabus
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:58 pm

Post by Urabus »

Hi
Yep keeping the ball joint front have been bashing it off road for nearly 3years with no breakages.

The new beam will have adjusters and long travel ball joints.

Marc
User avatar
Urabus
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:58 pm

Post by Urabus »

another Video
Image


Image
User avatar
kcnaz
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 pm

Post by kcnaz »

Igor up nice hill video is nice and your car sounds great.
Offroading vicariously
User avatar
Urabus
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:58 pm

Post by Urabus »

thanks we like him, forgot to say the new gearbox has a locrite locka in it.

Marc
User avatar
kcnaz
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 pm

Post by kcnaz »

I noticed the midlifecrisis tag.............how old does one have to be to fit that catagory? I know I'm a boomer but not sure I need the other tag as well........ :wink:
Offroading vicariously
User avatar
Urabus
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:58 pm

Post by Urabus »

Midlifecrisis is my user name most places.

I got it about 8 years ago when I picked up a Type 3 fastie the family said I must be having a midlife crisis because I am driving a imported 2 door sports car LOL so it stuck ever since and I was only 41 at the time.

Marc
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Urabus,nice job so far, what are you going to do about the ebrake handle? Are you keeping the stock arms? How is parts availability down under?
User avatar
nukeworker
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Post by nukeworker »

NICE CAR. Don't mean to nitpik but I think you installed the pedals and steering wheel on the wrong side. :P
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

Urabus wrote:Hi
Yep keeping the ball joint front have been bashing it off road for nearly 3years with no breakages.

Marc
Yup.... I just heard Murphy....should have kept quiet! It's over now! :lol:
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Looks good and a lot of fun but I have never understand how you guys (down there) can build such good machinery and drive so hard while hanging upside down. I was told by the Australians and New Zealanders that I worked with that you roll your cars every so often just to get the blood to rush back down to your feet.

Thanks for joining us and posting pictures and video.
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
User avatar
Urabus
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:58 pm

Post by Urabus »

Thanks leather.
Ebreak and arms are staying stock will long travel ball joints.
Some parts are ok to find but a lot have to come from over seas like the long travel ball joints I have ordered them through the supplier here I use and they will be here in his next shipment in about 2 weeks.
I think a lot of people here import a lot from the USA.


Hey nukeworker thanks
I thought something looked wrong, looks like I have some extra work over the weekend to put them on the right side or should I say the left side LOLOL.

Cooperbaja
DUH!!!!!!!!!! :roll: maybe I should just keep him in the garage when he done now. :lol:

ol'fogasaurus

Now the trick to driving upside down and not falling off is.........
we have a conveyor belt with spikes on it under the car so they hold us up as we drive along.:wink:

I try not to roll the car I just fall out of it and hope for the best has worked so far :twisted:

I am having withdrawal symptoms I have not been offroad for over 4 months, can't wait to get him back on /off the road.

Marc
Post Reply