Off-Road Forum contest
- david58
- Moderator
- Posts: 14100
- Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:35 am Post subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i ment i dont want to try to push anything right now. as of now im just getting my skill all dialed in and learning as much as i can, i said i have 4 to 5 years before i even try to lay down some money for a shop and all the sweet tools benders, notchers, cnc cutters ect. but yes eventually i would like to push some kind of product either small or big like i said i will be workin with CAD to do suspension mainly for toyotas and custom suspension for something like thses bajas.
i know insperation doesnt need a name but whe nim at home sitting on my ass not workin on my baja or anything elese ill think about the name and it awalys gets me off my ass and out in the garage workin its just mainly something to keep me goin strong and to get where i want to be
and yes i know all about all that license and insurence crap not fun but you gotta have it
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i ment i dont want to try to push anything right now. as of now im just getting my skill all dialed in and learning as much as i can, i said i have 4 to 5 years before i even try to lay down some money for a shop and all the sweet tools benders, notchers, cnc cutters ect. but yes eventually i would like to push some kind of product either small or big like i said i will be workin with CAD to do suspension mainly for toyotas and custom suspension for something like thses bajas.
i know insperation doesnt need a name but whe nim at home sitting on my ass not workin on my baja or anything elese ill think about the name and it awalys gets me off my ass and out in the garage workin its just mainly something to keep me goin strong and to get where i want to be
and yes i know all about all that license and insurence crap not fun but you gotta have it
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
- Lotrat
- Posts: 4975
- Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm
PostForum: The Off-Road Forum. Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:19 am Subject: Franz, the thunder pumpkin!
I used to belong to a car club that most of the members ralleyed (TSD). One of the ladies had an orange SAAB whe called "Orange Julis". I think something like that could be a good nickname for your Baja.
I used to belong to a car club that most of the members ralleyed (TSD). One of the ladies had an orange SAAB whe called "Orange Julis". I think something like that could be a good nickname for your Baja.
- david58
- Moderator
- Posts: 14100
- Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm
- david58
- Moderator
- Posts: 14100
- Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm
Knowing Leatherneck it is a typo.Lotrat wrote:What if he meant to type We instead of Whe?David58bug wrote:What if it is When or Where, instead of Whe???????????????????????
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
- Lotrat
- Posts: 4975
- Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm
- bajaherbie
- Posts: 9967
- Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:07 pm
Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:33 pm Post subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you'll be fine. that style of lightbar is for desert racing.....
'cause there are no trees in the desert i like the looks but where i ride whe have low tree branches.....
_________________
buy your vw and off-road parts from turboblue at Davis Racing 765-763-7709
Back to top
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you'll be fine. that style of lightbar is for desert racing.....
'cause there are no trees in the desert i like the looks but where i ride whe have low tree branches.....
_________________
buy your vw and off-road parts from turboblue at Davis Racing 765-763-7709
Back to top
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
- david58
- Moderator
- Posts: 14100
- Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm
herbie pay attention.David58bug wrote:Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:33 pm Post subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you'll be fine. that style of lightbar is for desert racing.....
'cause there are no trees in the desert i like the looks but where i ride whe have low tree branches.....
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
- Leatherneck
- Moderator
- Posts: 17104
- Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

This gear is pretty cool isn't it? Ready for a hint? Whe, what David58 you think we just threw this together last night or something. Spelling error catch me if you can. famous last words
We figured with giving out "Whe" it could be When,Where or We spelled Whe. go figure you guys would catch on to that.
Ok time for a clue, first word is: Where
- Leatherneck
- Moderator
- Posts: 17104
- Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm
- Jason C
- Posts: 258
- Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:24 pm
Leatherneck wrote:When you think you have it when you post it make sure you highlight the sentence and hit the bold icon above. You have to be a sniper, the shotgun approach will not work on this.
Need any help highlighting the sentence just PM me and we will get it done .
It sounded like you wanted the whole post.Leatherneck wrote:
So now the fun begins I have randomly picked a Thread in the ORF and in that thread I have picked out a sentence . All you have to do is find that sentence and post it. I will go with the post date and time to pick the winner, so post your guesses by quoting the whole post. No partial sentences will work.
Last edited by Jason C on Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Lotrat
- Posts: 4975
- Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:01 am Subject: free to a good home.... BH, clearly we all here feel this is something you must take on yourself. Calling a beekeeper, geeszch. Where's that famous Bajaherbie adventurous spirit? Speaking of spirits, whatever DIY method you choose (and you must choose one), make sure you have a few beers before you undertake this endevour as it sharpens your wits, reason, and resolve. Now the dish soap idea seems like a sure fire way to get the job done. But Where's the fun in playing it safe? If it were me, and I'm just throwing this out there, I'd go with the 12 guage plan. Just think of the fun. It would be like hunting and running all mixed into one zany sport. I mean, its not that far from what weird skiing and shooting sport they do in the Winter Olympics. BH, you could become the Abner Doubleday of the latest adventure sport: The Bee-Shoot Run-N-Scream. Don't forget your video camera. I'd pay good money to watch it.
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:56 pm Subject: "Idiots on Parade" -STF Off-Road Baja '09 Where's Motochris, Skiddy, Bajaherbie?? AND, what ever happened to SHMO?? He has spent a fair amount of time in the Baja.
Just saw this. Sounds like fun. Bay of LA is a great place to start and a safer place to leave the tow vehicles than San Felipe. Only drawback is it's a full days drive from the border.
Last time I went there from my place in Ridgecrest, we left about 4:30am and we still we couldn't get all the way there before dark.
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:33 am Subject: "Idiots on Parade" -STF Off-Road Baja '09 Where's Motochris, Skiddy, Bajaherbie?? AND, what ever happened to SHMO?? He has spent a fair amount of time in the Baja.
Sounds awesome, but I have no idea what my schedule is that far in advance....or if my baja will be running.
I say make it a sticky at the top of the page....so it don't get buried btwn now and then.
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:46 am Subject: "Idiots on Parade" -STF Off-Road Baja '09 Where's Motochris, Skiddy, Bajaherbie?? AND, what ever happened to SHMO?? He has spent a fair amount of time in the Baja.
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:22 pm Subject: New project. I drove it...Still not diesel, though.... http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/465392.jpg
Very cool shifter!
Where's the reverse lockout? Down and over like stock?
Yeah, it locks out just like stock. I have had that shifter in a couple different cars and it is a nice one.
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:30 am Subject: New project. I drove it...Still not diesel, though.... http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/465392.jpg
Very cool shifter!
Where's the reverse lockout? Down and over like stock?
Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:12 pm Subject: Hedrock's 'vert project... Where's the mud flaps? On order?
Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:49 am Subject: Rickosuave's '69 Baja / Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja Nice!!
Where'd you get those dash lights?
Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:36 pm Subject: Rickosuave's '69 Baja / Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja Nice!!
Where'd you get those dash lights?
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:24 am Subject: Pro Mo's adventure in rust and ruin. (A build thread) sorry for the hijack. Where's the pic Pro Mo?
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:31 am Subject: Rickosuave's '69 Baja / Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja Hey!
You mentioned you got some work done....I go a'searchin and I find your thread on page 2. Where's the pics?
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:38 pm Subject: Swept back and down angle measurements on axles Looks like a precision protractor from here. Use the larger of the 2 angles for your maximum deflection angle. Where's the spell check here? Dangleomerter is ok as long as you are zero camber on the rear wheels. If not you must compensate for that angle.
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:53 pm Subject: Bent Rear torsion Well, I suppose if you multiply the length of the tube by pi..... Hell, I dunno. Too big a jumpy is the best I can come up with. Where's the pic?
Here ya go. Your Turn.
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:37 pm Subject: Bent Rear torsion Well, I suppose if you multiply the length of the tube by pi..... Hell, I dunno. Too big a jumpy is the best I can come up with. Where's the pic?
Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:50 am Subject: difference between cast and forged explained Thanks for the perspective, Chris. It shows to go that application is really the key to any selection. It also brings up a few things worth noting.
As far as I know, the only forged off-road wheel for VW use is the one Pro-Am (Kartek) makes. The site lists only a 6" wide wheel, but I'd be surprised if there weren't other sizes available.
Centerline wheels, on the other hand, are spun (as are the Douglas, Mitchell, and Erco wheels), and there are some pretty significant differences between spun and forged parts.
Since spinning is basically a hand process (a big lathe, a form, and a huge pry bar of sorts), the materials are generally thin. The hammer or press to forge materials, on the other hand, delivers force on the order of thousands of tons. If I remember correctly, those Vette wheels in the earlier post used almost every bit of a 7,000-ton press. Whereas the cross-section of spun wheels may be considerably less than .200", forged wheels can be quite thicker a ...
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:05 pm Subject: Member Map Man. I think these guys are following me...
Wherever I go, they seem to show up eventually...
Welcome to STF.
I thought you were heading off-road... I was following to see Where the good spots are. Topic: Member Map
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:45 pm Subject: Member Map Man. I think these guys are following me...
Wherever I go, they seem to show up eventually...
Welcome to STF.
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:09 pm Subject: tikotikos NEW baby jump video Wheres the jump?
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:28 pm Subject: Chassis finally BACK from powder coater! I've found that powder coating lends itself to repair with ordinary spray equipment and conventional paint.
The content of powder is basically the same as paint: polyurethane, acrylic, epoxy, polyester, epoxy/polyester hybrid, and so on. The only thing that distinguishes powder coating from conventional paint is the application method. Whereas wet paint polymerizes by a chemical reaction, powder polymerizes when heated.
When you have anything powder coated, ask the coater what the material content of the powder is so you can buy paint that will work properly with it should you need to repair it. If you need to repair a damaged area, you can treat cured powder as any other painted surface.
There are finishes that don't lend themselves to repair, but it's an aesthetic thing more than function. The really crazy flakes, pearls, and marble finishes are difficult--if not impossible--to replicate with conventional paint. The repairs will be functional, but they probably won't look ...
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:09 am Subject: Off Topic but on target. Happy Birthday Marines 51. Whereas Army, Navy and Air Force jokes are funny, Marine jokes are potentially dangerous.
52. The occasional friendly debate. Refer to a Marine staff NCO simply as "Sergeant," and see what happens.
53. That troublesome "10 percent," making good Marines look great since 1775.
54. Everyone at a high school reunion is obliged to justify his last 10 years, except the guy wearing alphas.
55. As if ranks that include the words "Master" and "Gunnery" aren't intimidating enough on their own, the Corps uses them both. At once.
56. Soldiers have Hooah Bars. Marines have Ka-Bars. The second will generally get you the first.
57. The dress code. You can wear your cammies to meet the Commandant or repair a tank.
58. From "Aliens" to "Doom," the future vision of warfare almost always includes Space Marines.
59. The Corps was formed in a bar.
60. Marines predicted the WWII campaigns in the Pacific years earlier ...
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:29 am Subject: Pics of Rails and Baja's Nobody noticed the boomerang tv antenna? Where's the tv?
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:36 am Subject: So...you wanna go turbo?
Where's the action photos you took?
the view, from the front seat of Dan's rail...........
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/ ... 8A_009.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/ ... 9A_010.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/ ... 0A_011.jpg
Taken by yours truly at Sand Lake
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:22 am Subject: So...you wanna go turbo? I have a Turbonetics Evolution wastegate. The lowest spring I have that came with it is 5#.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/i ... 0780_w.jpg
I see a lot of these fancy electronic boost controllers and don't know if they will work for me. I wish I could disable the turbo with a switch however having some adjustment might be a good thing.
My car tends to wheelie a bit too much when Im riding solo.
didn't we already figure this out? just put my fat ass in next to you ALL the time!
Where's the action photos you took?
What is that 38mm?
Hey Scott Where do you put the flux compositor in that thing?
Your girlfriend holds it.
I agree, its better then having yours hold it!
Duh...it's always better to have a STRANGE r hold it.
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:14 am Subject: So...you wanna go turbo? I have a Turbonetics Evolution wastegate. The lowest spring I have that came with it is 5#.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/i ... 0780_w.jpg
I see a lot of these fancy electronic boost controllers and don't know if they will work for me. I wish I could disable the turbo with a switch however having some adjustment might be a good thing.
My car tends to wheelie a bit too much when Im riding solo.
didn't we already figure this out? just put my fat ass in next to you ALL the time!
Where's the action photos you took?
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:06 pm Subject: **STF Off Road Stickers ARE IN!!** -- ORDER NOW!!!!! Where's the rabbit?
On the Whip Flags
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:00 pm Subject: **STF Off Road Stickers ARE IN!!** -- ORDER NOW!!!!! Where's the rabbit?
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:50 pm Subject: How do you travel to the desert? But unlike ProMo, I would consider a new Chevy silverado.
Yeah...don't know why they changed the look so quickly...I liked the "evil eyes".
But who the hell is designing these cars? The cobalt is downright ugly to me...still just a cavalier with rounded edges, the hhr looks like a knockoff element with a throwback front, aveo is just a geo metro in disguise... it annoys me.
Where's the originality?
If it wasn't for the trucks. (My 94 had 178k and running very strong when I sold it) the vette Z06 and new camaro are sweet!
...chevy would totally lose me.
Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:18 pm Subject: New humble baja build... Nice build so far... looks pretty damn clean to me. Whereabouts in Mexico?
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:12 pm Subject: New Front Beam Set-Up I was originally thinkin the 944 stuff was fine, that is why I acquired all 4 wheels worth, but after talking with Rich at McKenzies, he splained to me what the differences are between all of the possible brake set ups. Whereas the CNC, GearOne, Tatum, type brakes were not only 15 lbs per wheel lighter, but out performed 944 style brakes by 50%. He actually told me drum brakes with some type of wool lining on them would out perform the 944 brakes. He basically broke it down Whereas 25 year old technology just can not hold a candle to the type of brakes that exist today. While other technology has not changed much in 25 years, brake technology has improved dramatically. I have to say, I agree with him on this. The new style brembo, drilled and ported, multi-caliper brakes that are available today that I put on my wifes Mercedes are 100 times better than the brakes that came on the car when it was built in 1999, and that is just 8 years ago. I think brake technology has advanced f ...
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:52 pm Subject: Kbwakesk8's cars ,i need help! Where's HACIENDA HEIGHTS?
Sounds like a strip club......us Oklahoman's don't git out too much
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:48 pm Subject: My rail project (56K go bake a cake) Where's the pix of you getting pulled over by the washington county pigs?
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:05 am Subject: Air (cooled) Supremacy lunch. Where's your green one?
i think the new carb needs a rebuild
BURN!
It was at home with a persistant oil leak I am tracking down.
Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:27 pm Subject: Air (cooled) Supremacy lunch. Where's your green one?
i think the new carb needs a rebuild
Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:44 pm Subject: Air (cooled) Supremacy lunch. Where's your green one?
Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:26 pm Subject: ***Frankenstien ***
Where's the pics?
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:06 pm Subject: ***Frankenstien *** Oh yeah, straightened it out yesterday around 11:00 looks good as new. Thanks David
Where's the pics?
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:47 pm Subject: OFF-Roaders Rides Anzan, looks like you've got a skidplate that works with heater boxes. Where'd you get it? And if you don't mind, how much? I need one.
Nuke, I wish I could help! The guy who built my cage 20 + years ago made it for me about 4 years ago. Sad news is he died 2 years ago. He was a real artist and 'offroading' lost a really good fab man. He was known as Dune Buggy Dave Dunbar.
on edit: we could always use it for a template and have one made. Mine's aluminum.
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:27 pm Subject: OFF-Roaders Rides Anzan, looks like you've got a skidplate that works with heater boxes. Where'd you get it? And if you don't mind, how much? I need one.
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:55 pm Subject: OFF-Roaders Rides Thanks for the tip Anzan. Where's it go? On top?
I got lucky with mine!
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:23 pm Subject: OFF-Roaders Rides Thanks for the tip Anzan. Where's it go? On top?
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:55 pm Subject: Headliner Alternatives? Where's STV's version of this pix.. I remember a specific missing sticker
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:27 pm Subject: Headliner Alternatives? Where's STV's version of this pix.. I remember a specific missing sticker
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:08 pm Subject: Who has been to Glamis & Pismo? Where's Rasor Road?
Its about 50 miles from Barstow headed North on I-15 and about 12 miles South of Baker.
GPS Coordinates: 35° 7'57.21"N, 116°12'34.34"W
plug those into Google earth and you can get a good veiw of the whole "ohv are 52"
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:22 pm Subject: Who has been to Glamis & Pismo? Well screw glamis and pismo, come out to Rasor Road with us!
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/r ... -06007.jpg
Dunes+not crowded+bajas and buggies=fun
Edit:
And 2wd is not a problem getting to camp
Where's Rasor Road?
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:42 pm Subject: Body Rake - Body lift I think I have a handle on what your talking about there Lee. As always pics are a good thing! If you send em I can post them here.
I've been thinking about ording a replacement captians hat and modifying it with some of the info you suggested...
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... D701%2D131
Tim, At this point I dont think I am going to have much of a problem with the back. Jsut that one drastic curve at the rear. However the curve itself is flat on the mating surface. It's just the insides/outside area's that are curved. Whereas the captains hat mating surface is the curved part.
Thanks for the offer though, and thanks for the info so far! I'll post up a bazillion pics like I usually do when I get started.
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:23 pm Subject: The WinterNationals this week at Pomona Ca. Penguin nice cart. Where's the roll bar?
If you think $15 is bad for admission for the sand drags, look what it cost to go to the WinterNationals on Saturday "$49". The Eliminator Club is $325. I get to go free. I know the guy who did the return lane. I will be in the Control Tower. Right in the middle of the track. Not bad I will let you know when they have the next race in the sand. Here's the lay out for the Winternationals. Call me.
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:39 am Subject: The WinterNationals this week at Pomona Ca. Penguin nice cart. Where's the roll bar?
If you think $15 is bad for admission for the sand drags, look what it cost to go to the WinterNationals on Saturday "$49". The Eliminator Club is $325. I get to go free. I know the guy who did the return lane. I will be in the Control Tower. Right in the middle of the track. Not bad I will let you know when they have the next race in the sand. Here's the lay out for the Winternationals. Call me.
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:06 pm Subject: OFF topic rant and rave suggestion. biodiesel..
word from the dairy guys is that price of corn is WAY up because so much of it is being used for ethanol. at least they are doing something to not support the terrorists
I also heard there is rioting in South America because corn is a staple food for the poor and the price is being driven up.
I say: if they find oil in my back yard, let them get it, as long as I get a cut. That goes for the Arctic National Wastelands and the Gulf of Mexico too. Wherever it's found in the USA drill it. Unlike 3rd world countries, we clean up our mess.
And while your at it, "Thank God for Global warming"! It reduces heating bills.
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:22 pm Subject: Rickosuave's '69 Baja / Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja It looks like im going to be getting a new 1 peice front end.
Would you consider a 1 piece front end for free? I have one in the back yard, the flip style with the front bumper hinge, been sitting for years, already has a few of the common cracks in it.
C'mon, TAKE SOMETHING WILL YA? I also have a few rear fenders laying around, maybe you guys could haul my jun......er,........give some perviously owned Baja stuff a new home......
Wheres Antelope Valley??? I ll come help you clean up that back yard! How far are you from Palm Desert?
For now, ricosuave had "dibs" on the baja kit stuff, I really do need to do some yard cleaning, and these (well worn) kits came off a few junk bajas I ended up with over the years. The stray dog I took in last month looks like he is going to stay a while and I need to make room for him.
Most of California only sees a blank spot on the map Where we live:
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:05 am Subject: Rickosuave's '69 Baja / Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja
Wheres Antelope Valley??? I ll come help you clean up that back yard! How far are you from Palm Desert?
You dont know Where the AV is? Its like the poppy capital of CA.
I just went thru cathedral city on my way back from ocotillo. Were about 150 miles NorthWest of you. About 60 miles (as the crow flies) north of LA. Come on up and we can make a trip around the local mountains once i get my baja back on the road.
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:57 am Subject: Rickosuave's '69 Baja / Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja It looks like im going to be getting a new 1 peice front end.
Would you consider a 1 piece front end for free? I have one in the back yard, the flip style with the front bumper hinge, been sitting for years, already has a few of the common cracks in it.
C'mon, TAKE SOMETHING WILL YA? I also have a few rear fenders laying around, maybe you guys could haul my jun......er,........give some perviously owned Baja stuff a new home......
Wheres Antelope Valley??? I ll come help you clean up that back yard! How far are you from Palm Desert?
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:30 pm Subject: Rickosuave's '69 Baja / Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja am i mean? yes i kind of am, im a very opinionated person
Where's Captain Understatement when you need him....
You dis on people's stuff more than you hand out any type of sound advise. And then, when you "happen" to get it right (once out of many), you run around breaking your frickin' arm trying to pat yourself on the back...
Real class act, there...
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:53 pm Subject: Outer Shock mounts Where's the steering column going? Stops up high and doesn't go anyWhere. Or, the most radical U Joints know to man.
Is that a flip up spotlight or an open spitoon on the front? Sorry second look shows two head lights and the spitoon. You got to hand it to the High Dollar Fabricators too come up with that.
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:58 pm Subject: Rear wheel bearings *revisited* OK, so I pulled the baja down off the ramps, and yanked the left rear control arm (being I've already torn down the pass. side one and know the bearings were toast in it) and had the bearing come out in my hands, and then a sleeve fell out of someWhere as well.
I've bought all new seals, bearings, and gaskets for each rear corner, anybody have any insight as to what goes Where? google netted me nothing, search button didnt either. Where oh Where is my How to Keep My VW Alive For the Complete Idiot book when I need it?
Erik
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:58 pm Subject: Rear wheel bearings *revisited* OK, so I pulled the baja down off the ramps, and yanked the left rear control arm (being I've already torn down the pass. side one and know the bearings were toast in it) and had the bearing come out in my hands, and then a sleeve fell out of someWhere as well.
I've bought all new seals, bearings, and gaskets for each rear corner, anybody have any insight as to what goes Where? google netted me nothing, search button didnt either. Where oh Where is my How to Keep My VW Alive For the Complete Idiot book when I need it?
Erik
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:27 pm Subject: Rims I have white spoke spindle mount steel wheels. I am not sure of the make. I bought them from the Off Road Wherehouse approx 18yrs ago. I can post a photo or give you measurements if it will help.
Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:42 pm Subject: So, who has the most coinage into their baja? 8WR_Buggy_of_Doom,
I scoped out your website, but there was no mention of the race ready mud boggin V-8 manx. I also didn't see the 440hp baja, unless it was the orange stocker with the charbroiled engine cover. Where's the pics? You need to update your site man.
SHMO
Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:44 pm Subject: Place to Ride?? Unclebob
Where's Middlesburg??? How far from Otown are you? Always looking for new places to ride.
Let us know when your coming to the Forest.
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:56 pm Subject: "Idiots on Parade" -STF Off-Road Baja '09 Where's Motochris, Skiddy, Bajaherbie?? AND, what ever happened to SHMO?? He has spent a fair amount of time in the Baja.
Just saw this. Sounds like fun. Bay of LA is a great place to start and a safer place to leave the tow vehicles than San Felipe. Only drawback is it's a full days drive from the border.
Last time I went there from my place in Ridgecrest, we left about 4:30am and we still we couldn't get all the way there before dark.
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:33 am Subject: "Idiots on Parade" -STF Off-Road Baja '09 Where's Motochris, Skiddy, Bajaherbie?? AND, what ever happened to SHMO?? He has spent a fair amount of time in the Baja.
Sounds awesome, but I have no idea what my schedule is that far in advance....or if my baja will be running.
I say make it a sticky at the top of the page....so it don't get buried btwn now and then.
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:46 am Subject: "Idiots on Parade" -STF Off-Road Baja '09 Where's Motochris, Skiddy, Bajaherbie?? AND, what ever happened to SHMO?? He has spent a fair amount of time in the Baja.
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:22 pm Subject: New project. I drove it...Still not diesel, though.... http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/465392.jpg
Very cool shifter!
Where's the reverse lockout? Down and over like stock?
Yeah, it locks out just like stock. I have had that shifter in a couple different cars and it is a nice one.
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:30 am Subject: New project. I drove it...Still not diesel, though.... http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/465392.jpg
Very cool shifter!
Where's the reverse lockout? Down and over like stock?
Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:12 pm Subject: Hedrock's 'vert project... Where's the mud flaps? On order?
Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:49 am Subject: Rickosuave's '69 Baja / Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja Nice!!
Where'd you get those dash lights?
Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:36 pm Subject: Rickosuave's '69 Baja / Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja Nice!!
Where'd you get those dash lights?
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:24 am Subject: Pro Mo's adventure in rust and ruin. (A build thread) sorry for the hijack. Where's the pic Pro Mo?
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:31 am Subject: Rickosuave's '69 Baja / Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja Hey!
You mentioned you got some work done....I go a'searchin and I find your thread on page 2. Where's the pics?
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:38 pm Subject: Swept back and down angle measurements on axles Looks like a precision protractor from here. Use the larger of the 2 angles for your maximum deflection angle. Where's the spell check here? Dangleomerter is ok as long as you are zero camber on the rear wheels. If not you must compensate for that angle.
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:53 pm Subject: Bent Rear torsion Well, I suppose if you multiply the length of the tube by pi..... Hell, I dunno. Too big a jumpy is the best I can come up with. Where's the pic?
Here ya go. Your Turn.
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:37 pm Subject: Bent Rear torsion Well, I suppose if you multiply the length of the tube by pi..... Hell, I dunno. Too big a jumpy is the best I can come up with. Where's the pic?
Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:50 am Subject: difference between cast and forged explained Thanks for the perspective, Chris. It shows to go that application is really the key to any selection. It also brings up a few things worth noting.
As far as I know, the only forged off-road wheel for VW use is the one Pro-Am (Kartek) makes. The site lists only a 6" wide wheel, but I'd be surprised if there weren't other sizes available.
Centerline wheels, on the other hand, are spun (as are the Douglas, Mitchell, and Erco wheels), and there are some pretty significant differences between spun and forged parts.
Since spinning is basically a hand process (a big lathe, a form, and a huge pry bar of sorts), the materials are generally thin. The hammer or press to forge materials, on the other hand, delivers force on the order of thousands of tons. If I remember correctly, those Vette wheels in the earlier post used almost every bit of a 7,000-ton press. Whereas the cross-section of spun wheels may be considerably less than .200", forged wheels can be quite thicker a ...
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:05 pm Subject: Member Map Man. I think these guys are following me...
Wherever I go, they seem to show up eventually...
Welcome to STF.
I thought you were heading off-road... I was following to see Where the good spots are. Topic: Member Map
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:45 pm Subject: Member Map Man. I think these guys are following me...
Wherever I go, they seem to show up eventually...
Welcome to STF.
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:09 pm Subject: tikotikos NEW baby jump video Wheres the jump?
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:28 pm Subject: Chassis finally BACK from powder coater! I've found that powder coating lends itself to repair with ordinary spray equipment and conventional paint.
The content of powder is basically the same as paint: polyurethane, acrylic, epoxy, polyester, epoxy/polyester hybrid, and so on. The only thing that distinguishes powder coating from conventional paint is the application method. Whereas wet paint polymerizes by a chemical reaction, powder polymerizes when heated.
When you have anything powder coated, ask the coater what the material content of the powder is so you can buy paint that will work properly with it should you need to repair it. If you need to repair a damaged area, you can treat cured powder as any other painted surface.
There are finishes that don't lend themselves to repair, but it's an aesthetic thing more than function. The really crazy flakes, pearls, and marble finishes are difficult--if not impossible--to replicate with conventional paint. The repairs will be functional, but they probably won't look ...
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:09 am Subject: Off Topic but on target. Happy Birthday Marines 51. Whereas Army, Navy and Air Force jokes are funny, Marine jokes are potentially dangerous.
52. The occasional friendly debate. Refer to a Marine staff NCO simply as "Sergeant," and see what happens.
53. That troublesome "10 percent," making good Marines look great since 1775.
54. Everyone at a high school reunion is obliged to justify his last 10 years, except the guy wearing alphas.
55. As if ranks that include the words "Master" and "Gunnery" aren't intimidating enough on their own, the Corps uses them both. At once.
56. Soldiers have Hooah Bars. Marines have Ka-Bars. The second will generally get you the first.
57. The dress code. You can wear your cammies to meet the Commandant or repair a tank.
58. From "Aliens" to "Doom," the future vision of warfare almost always includes Space Marines.
59. The Corps was formed in a bar.
60. Marines predicted the WWII campaigns in the Pacific years earlier ...
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:29 am Subject: Pics of Rails and Baja's Nobody noticed the boomerang tv antenna? Where's the tv?
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:36 am Subject: So...you wanna go turbo?
Where's the action photos you took?
the view, from the front seat of Dan's rail...........
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/ ... 8A_009.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/ ... 9A_010.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/ ... 0A_011.jpg
Taken by yours truly at Sand Lake
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:22 am Subject: So...you wanna go turbo? I have a Turbonetics Evolution wastegate. The lowest spring I have that came with it is 5#.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/i ... 0780_w.jpg
I see a lot of these fancy electronic boost controllers and don't know if they will work for me. I wish I could disable the turbo with a switch however having some adjustment might be a good thing.
My car tends to wheelie a bit too much when Im riding solo.
didn't we already figure this out? just put my fat ass in next to you ALL the time!
Where's the action photos you took?
What is that 38mm?
Hey Scott Where do you put the flux compositor in that thing?
Your girlfriend holds it.
I agree, its better then having yours hold it!
Duh...it's always better to have a STRANGE r hold it.
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:14 am Subject: So...you wanna go turbo? I have a Turbonetics Evolution wastegate. The lowest spring I have that came with it is 5#.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/i ... 0780_w.jpg
I see a lot of these fancy electronic boost controllers and don't know if they will work for me. I wish I could disable the turbo with a switch however having some adjustment might be a good thing.
My car tends to wheelie a bit too much when Im riding solo.
didn't we already figure this out? just put my fat ass in next to you ALL the time!
Where's the action photos you took?
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:06 pm Subject: **STF Off Road Stickers ARE IN!!** -- ORDER NOW!!!!! Where's the rabbit?
On the Whip Flags
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:00 pm Subject: **STF Off Road Stickers ARE IN!!** -- ORDER NOW!!!!! Where's the rabbit?
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:50 pm Subject: How do you travel to the desert? But unlike ProMo, I would consider a new Chevy silverado.
Yeah...don't know why they changed the look so quickly...I liked the "evil eyes".
But who the hell is designing these cars? The cobalt is downright ugly to me...still just a cavalier with rounded edges, the hhr looks like a knockoff element with a throwback front, aveo is just a geo metro in disguise... it annoys me.
Where's the originality?
If it wasn't for the trucks. (My 94 had 178k and running very strong when I sold it) the vette Z06 and new camaro are sweet!
...chevy would totally lose me.
Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:18 pm Subject: New humble baja build... Nice build so far... looks pretty damn clean to me. Whereabouts in Mexico?
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:12 pm Subject: New Front Beam Set-Up I was originally thinkin the 944 stuff was fine, that is why I acquired all 4 wheels worth, but after talking with Rich at McKenzies, he splained to me what the differences are between all of the possible brake set ups. Whereas the CNC, GearOne, Tatum, type brakes were not only 15 lbs per wheel lighter, but out performed 944 style brakes by 50%. He actually told me drum brakes with some type of wool lining on them would out perform the 944 brakes. He basically broke it down Whereas 25 year old technology just can not hold a candle to the type of brakes that exist today. While other technology has not changed much in 25 years, brake technology has improved dramatically. I have to say, I agree with him on this. The new style brembo, drilled and ported, multi-caliper brakes that are available today that I put on my wifes Mercedes are 100 times better than the brakes that came on the car when it was built in 1999, and that is just 8 years ago. I think brake technology has advanced f ...
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:52 pm Subject: Kbwakesk8's cars ,i need help! Where's HACIENDA HEIGHTS?
Sounds like a strip club......us Oklahoman's don't git out too much
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:48 pm Subject: My rail project (56K go bake a cake) Where's the pix of you getting pulled over by the washington county pigs?
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:05 am Subject: Air (cooled) Supremacy lunch. Where's your green one?
i think the new carb needs a rebuild
BURN!
It was at home with a persistant oil leak I am tracking down.
Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:27 pm Subject: Air (cooled) Supremacy lunch. Where's your green one?
i think the new carb needs a rebuild
Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:44 pm Subject: Air (cooled) Supremacy lunch. Where's your green one?
Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:26 pm Subject: ***Frankenstien ***
Where's the pics?
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:06 pm Subject: ***Frankenstien *** Oh yeah, straightened it out yesterday around 11:00 looks good as new. Thanks David
Where's the pics?
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:47 pm Subject: OFF-Roaders Rides Anzan, looks like you've got a skidplate that works with heater boxes. Where'd you get it? And if you don't mind, how much? I need one.
Nuke, I wish I could help! The guy who built my cage 20 + years ago made it for me about 4 years ago. Sad news is he died 2 years ago. He was a real artist and 'offroading' lost a really good fab man. He was known as Dune Buggy Dave Dunbar.
on edit: we could always use it for a template and have one made. Mine's aluminum.
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:27 pm Subject: OFF-Roaders Rides Anzan, looks like you've got a skidplate that works with heater boxes. Where'd you get it? And if you don't mind, how much? I need one.
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:55 pm Subject: OFF-Roaders Rides Thanks for the tip Anzan. Where's it go? On top?
I got lucky with mine!
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:23 pm Subject: OFF-Roaders Rides Thanks for the tip Anzan. Where's it go? On top?
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:55 pm Subject: Headliner Alternatives? Where's STV's version of this pix.. I remember a specific missing sticker
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:27 pm Subject: Headliner Alternatives? Where's STV's version of this pix.. I remember a specific missing sticker
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:08 pm Subject: Who has been to Glamis & Pismo? Where's Rasor Road?
Its about 50 miles from Barstow headed North on I-15 and about 12 miles South of Baker.
GPS Coordinates: 35° 7'57.21"N, 116°12'34.34"W
plug those into Google earth and you can get a good veiw of the whole "ohv are 52"
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:22 pm Subject: Who has been to Glamis & Pismo? Well screw glamis and pismo, come out to Rasor Road with us!
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/r ... -06007.jpg
Dunes+not crowded+bajas and buggies=fun
Edit:
And 2wd is not a problem getting to camp
Where's Rasor Road?
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:42 pm Subject: Body Rake - Body lift I think I have a handle on what your talking about there Lee. As always pics are a good thing! If you send em I can post them here.
I've been thinking about ording a replacement captians hat and modifying it with some of the info you suggested...
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... D701%2D131
Tim, At this point I dont think I am going to have much of a problem with the back. Jsut that one drastic curve at the rear. However the curve itself is flat on the mating surface. It's just the insides/outside area's that are curved. Whereas the captains hat mating surface is the curved part.
Thanks for the offer though, and thanks for the info so far! I'll post up a bazillion pics like I usually do when I get started.
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:23 pm Subject: The WinterNationals this week at Pomona Ca. Penguin nice cart. Where's the roll bar?
If you think $15 is bad for admission for the sand drags, look what it cost to go to the WinterNationals on Saturday "$49". The Eliminator Club is $325. I get to go free. I know the guy who did the return lane. I will be in the Control Tower. Right in the middle of the track. Not bad I will let you know when they have the next race in the sand. Here's the lay out for the Winternationals. Call me.
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:39 am Subject: The WinterNationals this week at Pomona Ca. Penguin nice cart. Where's the roll bar?
If you think $15 is bad for admission for the sand drags, look what it cost to go to the WinterNationals on Saturday "$49". The Eliminator Club is $325. I get to go free. I know the guy who did the return lane. I will be in the Control Tower. Right in the middle of the track. Not bad I will let you know when they have the next race in the sand. Here's the lay out for the Winternationals. Call me.
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:06 pm Subject: OFF topic rant and rave suggestion. biodiesel..
word from the dairy guys is that price of corn is WAY up because so much of it is being used for ethanol. at least they are doing something to not support the terrorists
I also heard there is rioting in South America because corn is a staple food for the poor and the price is being driven up.
I say: if they find oil in my back yard, let them get it, as long as I get a cut. That goes for the Arctic National Wastelands and the Gulf of Mexico too. Wherever it's found in the USA drill it. Unlike 3rd world countries, we clean up our mess.
And while your at it, "Thank God for Global warming"! It reduces heating bills.
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:22 pm Subject: Rickosuave's '69 Baja / Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja It looks like im going to be getting a new 1 peice front end.
Would you consider a 1 piece front end for free? I have one in the back yard, the flip style with the front bumper hinge, been sitting for years, already has a few of the common cracks in it.
C'mon, TAKE SOMETHING WILL YA? I also have a few rear fenders laying around, maybe you guys could haul my jun......er,........give some perviously owned Baja stuff a new home......
Wheres Antelope Valley??? I ll come help you clean up that back yard! How far are you from Palm Desert?
For now, ricosuave had "dibs" on the baja kit stuff, I really do need to do some yard cleaning, and these (well worn) kits came off a few junk bajas I ended up with over the years. The stray dog I took in last month looks like he is going to stay a while and I need to make room for him.
Most of California only sees a blank spot on the map Where we live:
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:05 am Subject: Rickosuave's '69 Baja / Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja
Wheres Antelope Valley??? I ll come help you clean up that back yard! How far are you from Palm Desert?
You dont know Where the AV is? Its like the poppy capital of CA.
I just went thru cathedral city on my way back from ocotillo. Were about 150 miles NorthWest of you. About 60 miles (as the crow flies) north of LA. Come on up and we can make a trip around the local mountains once i get my baja back on the road.
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:57 am Subject: Rickosuave's '69 Baja / Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja It looks like im going to be getting a new 1 peice front end.
Would you consider a 1 piece front end for free? I have one in the back yard, the flip style with the front bumper hinge, been sitting for years, already has a few of the common cracks in it.
C'mon, TAKE SOMETHING WILL YA? I also have a few rear fenders laying around, maybe you guys could haul my jun......er,........give some perviously owned Baja stuff a new home......
Wheres Antelope Valley??? I ll come help you clean up that back yard! How far are you from Palm Desert?
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:30 pm Subject: Rickosuave's '69 Baja / Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja am i mean? yes i kind of am, im a very opinionated person
Where's Captain Understatement when you need him....
You dis on people's stuff more than you hand out any type of sound advise. And then, when you "happen" to get it right (once out of many), you run around breaking your frickin' arm trying to pat yourself on the back...
Real class act, there...
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:53 pm Subject: Outer Shock mounts Where's the steering column going? Stops up high and doesn't go anyWhere. Or, the most radical U Joints know to man.
Is that a flip up spotlight or an open spitoon on the front? Sorry second look shows two head lights and the spitoon. You got to hand it to the High Dollar Fabricators too come up with that.
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:58 pm Subject: Rear wheel bearings *revisited* OK, so I pulled the baja down off the ramps, and yanked the left rear control arm (being I've already torn down the pass. side one and know the bearings were toast in it) and had the bearing come out in my hands, and then a sleeve fell out of someWhere as well.
I've bought all new seals, bearings, and gaskets for each rear corner, anybody have any insight as to what goes Where? google netted me nothing, search button didnt either. Where oh Where is my How to Keep My VW Alive For the Complete Idiot book when I need it?
Erik
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:58 pm Subject: Rear wheel bearings *revisited* OK, so I pulled the baja down off the ramps, and yanked the left rear control arm (being I've already torn down the pass. side one and know the bearings were toast in it) and had the bearing come out in my hands, and then a sleeve fell out of someWhere as well.
I've bought all new seals, bearings, and gaskets for each rear corner, anybody have any insight as to what goes Where? google netted me nothing, search button didnt either. Where oh Where is my How to Keep My VW Alive For the Complete Idiot book when I need it?
Erik
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:27 pm Subject: Rims I have white spoke spindle mount steel wheels. I am not sure of the make. I bought them from the Off Road Wherehouse approx 18yrs ago. I can post a photo or give you measurements if it will help.
Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:42 pm Subject: So, who has the most coinage into their baja? 8WR_Buggy_of_Doom,
I scoped out your website, but there was no mention of the race ready mud boggin V-8 manx. I also didn't see the 440hp baja, unless it was the orange stocker with the charbroiled engine cover. Where's the pics? You need to update your site man.
SHMO
Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:44 pm Subject: Place to Ride?? Unclebob
Where's Middlesburg??? How far from Otown are you? Always looking for new places to ride.
Let us know when your coming to the Forest.