1966/67 Serial Numbers

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
fmtennant
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:53 pm

1966/67 Serial Numbers

Post by fmtennant »

Hello folks,

I recently bought a Maxi Taxi kit car and am showing some conflict with the serial numbers. I was told by the previous owner that this car was built on a '67 beetle, but some friends have told me that the chassis is actually a 1966 model. Also, the engine serial number is F 1260933, which I cannot seem to verify on the 'net. All sources I have found show that the '66 model year engine #'s run from F 0000001 through F 1057754, and that '67 models begin with H0204001.

The chassis (VIN) number on this car is 117 002 317, which indicates early 1967, so I am wondering if some 1300cc '66 model engines were actually built in the early '67 model cars. The engine number on this car begins with an "F" as in '66, but the number is out of the range listed anywhere I can find.

I am trying to track down some problems in the charging/starting systems, and want to be certain of which parts models I need for replacement. The present generator is a 12-volt model.

Any help with the serial number issue will be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone can point me to a parts dealer for the Maxi Taxi, I will be most thankful. I am looking for a new grill and some trim for the engine compartment.

Thanks in advance,
Frank
letterman7
Posts: 484
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:17 pm

Post by letterman7 »

Never take for granted that the engines match the chassis', even in something that was never apart. Frequently the motor supplies got used up before chassis', so having a '66 chassis with a '67 motor wouldn't be uncommon early in a '67 year. But don't worry about all that - the parts were just about completely interchangeable up until somewhere around '69. The only thing that changed other than some body trims were axle lengths in '67 - they got shorter. So, go ahead and order what you need for the charging system. They'll be compatible.
As for Maxi Taxi parts - good luck. Try to find a parts car on eBay or in the classifieds. There were several last week (I think) on eBay - Taxi's haven't been made in years.

Rick
fmtennant
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:53 pm

Post by fmtennant »

Thanks for the reply Rick. I went ahead and ordered parts for the charging system, along with new brake system components to provide separate front and rear brakes. I'll try checking eBay for parts for the Maxi.

Thanks again,
Frank
Slow 1200
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Slow 1200 »

F1260933 was built in november 67, the 1300 was a one year only engine in the US but in the rest of the world it was sold for some more years.
Post Reply