Mig welders max

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
terry cloyd
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:41 pm

Mig welders max

Post by terry cloyd »

I think i'am at my max with the mig welder. I have the Miller 354, 480 volts on 3 phase. Setting is 300 volts,wire speed 300 and 60lbs of mix. I know buy some rod?????????????? Need input????????
Bugfuel
Posts: 3011
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2001 1:01 am

Post by Bugfuel »

Is there a question in there somewhere? :D

Jan
User avatar
takotruckin
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:40 pm

Post by takotruckin »

a pig went shopping at radio shack, yet he couldn't find the mustard.
terry cloyd
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:41 pm

Post by terry cloyd »

Bugfuel wrote:Is there a question in there somewhere? :D

Jan
So what do you think is the max thickness for the mig welder? One pass?
terry cloyd
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:41 pm

Post by terry cloyd »

takotruckin wrote:a pig went shopping at radio shack, yet he couldn't find the mustard.
You need a babysitter :wink:
Bugfuel
Posts: 3011
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2001 1:01 am

Post by Bugfuel »

terry cloyd wrote:
Bugfuel wrote:Is there a question in there somewhere? :D

Jan
So what do you think is the max thickness for the mig welder? One pass?

Makes me wonder what you are trying to do with it that you have to ask.
I don't know, my welder was 360V 3 phase 400A and I never turned the power knob past 1/2 way in any car related work. Maybe just a little over when making tools, like welding heavy steel stock, angle iron etc..

With the higher settings, I could cut through the entire car with ease... yes cut not weld :D

Jan
terry cloyd
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:41 pm

Post by terry cloyd »

Jan....i am building a tower that has 1/2" and 1" steel. The Miller chart has a cut off of 1/2" with the mig welder. http://www.millerwelds.com/education/te ... /MIG_tips/ .

I was hoping that someone would know about welding steel above the 1/2" with the mig welder.
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

Thanks for the link....I bookmarked that one for later. :)

Are you trying to penetrate the 1"?

I think if you are just trying to buttweld them together, you're ok, just err on the side of the 1/2" to get penetration more to it.

Right?
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
terry cloyd
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:41 pm

Post by terry cloyd »

CopperBaja wrote:Thanks for the link....I bookmarked that one for later. :)

Are you trying to penetrate the 1"?

I think if you are just trying to buttweld them together, you're ok, just err on the side of the 1/2" to get penetration more to it.

Right?
I have a 1" X 3" piece of flat iron on top of a piece of 10" X 30lb channel. The 1" cantilevers over the channel by a 1/2". The welds will be 3" long and skip 8" and then start 3". There will be a weld on the top of the 1" and the underside of the 1". The track will be 50' long. The test will be 35 tons of up-lift on the welds. The question is will the mig welds hold the 1" X 3 flat iron from lifting off the channel at 35 tons?
User avatar
69bug4me
Posts: 777
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2001 12:01 am

Post by 69bug4me »

The way I read it is you are going to lay the 1" thick bar on the channel.

Which would make it a fillet weld.

Good shop practice is usually make the weld the size of the thickness of the thinest mating peice.

It it was 1/2" plate welded to 1" plate the the fillet weld would be 1/2". You get the idea.

Depending on what size weld you need and wire size will detemine if you can do it in one pass.

I have made 3/4" fillet welds with one pass at 550amps and 35 volts with .093" fluxcore and that was in flat position.

And as to say whether or not it would it would hold 35 tons or not I wouldn't dare say without seeing it and probably welding it myself.I have seen a few large heavy parts hit the ground when something breaks.

This thing gonna be used for lifting?
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

35 tons....my vote would be NO. I don't think any weld done by equipment the normal public could purchase would hold a stress of 35 tons.

You trying to lift a Tank?
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
Mach1VW
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:53 pm

Post by Mach1VW »

what size wire are you using?

you have enough machine to weld 1" and 1/2". if you're using hard wire I would say .045 would be the min. size. it may take a while but you could do it.

If you want it done quicker you could step up to 5/64" innershield wire. makes about a 1" bead at 290 amps. you probably need a different gun and some good leathers! ha ha
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Is this vw related?

Interested
terry cloyd
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:41 pm

Post by terry cloyd »

MNAirHead wrote:Is this vw related?

Interested
Sorry Tim your right.......Zero.......I can't see the word VW in any of the posts about Kobalt air compressors?

No more.
terry cloyd
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:41 pm

Post by terry cloyd »

Tim do you have a brother named Brad????
Post Reply