Ricko's New Ride-'71 Baja

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

Image
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Thanks David. The pics are perfect.

Anyone know about welding on that kind of metal?
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

Image
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

This is a good discussion I have been running the solid, long time, but my mount is drilled through top and bottom of frame horn, does create a somewhat weaker area, may fill and weld.

Rick if I have missed it sorry but have you and any others running stock frame horns welded the seams?
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Leatherneck wrote: Rick if I have missed it sorry but have you and any others running stock frame horns welded the seams?
I have not yet weled the seams, but since i have to remove the engine and tranny to put in the solid kit, i am going to do it at the same time.
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 3509
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Post by Skidmark »

Make sure you grind away all of that gold zinc plating on the surfaces to be welded. That stuff is really unhealthy to breath when burned. This is important, Rick. Take a sander or grinder and only weld on cleaned metal.
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Thanks Skid. I was kind of weary of just going for it. I wasnt sure if it could be welded at all. Thanks again!
I still owe you a pic of the fuel cell mounted huh? :oops:
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
runslikeapenguin
Posts: 719
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:42 pm

Post by runslikeapenguin »

Skidmark wrote:Make sure you grind away all of that gold zinc plating on the surfaces to be welded. That stuff is really unhealthy to breath when burned. This is important, Rick. Take a sander or grinder and only weld on cleaned metal.
isnt that cad plating?
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

Leatherneck wrote:always have run solid mounts, yea it causes problems, vibrates, ya feel the engine 8)
I have no problem feeling the engine. :twisted:

So, from the pics, I take it that you have to lift the body off the pan for this modification/upgrade?
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

CopperBaja wrote:So, from the pics, I take it that you have to lift the body off the pan for this modification/upgrade?
I hope not :shock: Other wise ill still have a flopping engine when I go to Pismo :cry: No one to help me lift the body.
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

Too bad you're not closer...I'd surely help. One hand for you, the other occupied by a cold drink. 8)

My mom-in-law lives in Victorville. I'll give her a call...send her over. :D (j/k) :lol:
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

CopperBaja wrote: My mom-in-law lives in Victorville. I'll give her a call...send her over. :D (j/k) :lol:
:shock: :shock: uh...thanks for the offer but... :lol:

Anyone know if the installation requires removing the body??
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
bajaherbie
Posts: 9967
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Post by bajaherbie »

i did mine with the body on, but then again i'm really short :lol:


seriously, the body can stay on...
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

:D Thanks Herbie!
man, I was sweating it for minute. i was thinking I was doomed to have my engine fall off and Tako run it over in Pismo. :lol:
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

rickosuave1987 wrote::D Thanks Herbie!
man, I was sweating it for minute. i was thinking I was doomed to have my engine fall off and Tako run it over in Pismo. :lol:
There you go....making me sound crazy, laughing at the computer screen! :lol:

I'm sure he'd break it, but from what I've seen, he could definitely fix it, as well. ;)
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
Post Reply