Welding Techniques do you push or pull your weld? Post a pic

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Welding Techniques do you push or pull your weld? Post a pic

Post by david58 »

When you lay a bead using a Mig. What determines if you push or pull the weld?
Last edited by david58 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Mig? I just mix the red cap stuff with the black cap stuff and BAM! there ya go! :lol:
User avatar
takotruckin
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:40 pm

Post by takotruckin »

i think you push with an upward vertical bead
winifredevw
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:08 pm

Post by winifredevw »

Push with gas, pull with flux core.
___________________________

Wheatley science.
terry cloyd
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:41 pm

Post by terry cloyd »

David I do both push and pull. But here's the real story. It's nice to hear from the people who build the welder.

http://www.millerwelds.com/education/te ... /MIG_tips/
winifredevw
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:08 pm

Post by winifredevw »

My little 110 mig can use gas, but I haven't upgraded yet (I know, I know). It's been a while since I've used gas, so I'm kinda used to flux core and I'm guilty of pushing the puddle sometimes. I was always told "Push gas - pull flux" but that ain't necessarily so. Can someone shed some light on this?
___________________________

Wheatley science.
terry cloyd
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:41 pm

Post by terry cloyd »

winifredevw wrote:My little 110 mig can use gas, but I haven't upgraded yet (I know, I know). It's been a while since I've used gas, so I'm kinda used to flux core and I'm guilty of pushing the puddle sometimes. I was always told "Push gas - pull flux" but that ain't necessarily so. Can someone shed some light on this?
If I lay a piece of 1/2" X 2" metal on a welding table and I welded the 2" down. That would be a drag weld. The gun would face up. You would not start from the bottom and go up.

All my stick welding is a drag weld. I push the rod into the puddle.
winifredevw
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:08 pm

Post by winifredevw »

I may be wrong, but I watch the "arc" to see where the metal flows. Is this a good practice? You guys know more than I. Please share.
___________________________

Wheatley science.
terry cloyd
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:41 pm

Post by terry cloyd »

winifredevw wrote:I may be wrong, but I watch the "arc" to see where the metal flows. Is this a good practice? You guys know more than I. Please share.
First of all I would like to {{{{{{Thank}}}}} David for starting this posts.

I would think that it would be better to post a picture of your weld. This way we could beat you up :lol: I grew up with the best welder's in the world and I still weld like dog poop. It looks like a roll of dimes.
winifredevw
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:08 pm

Post by winifredevw »

OK dog me at will, sorry about the fuzzy pics. I'll take better pictures later, but I can't gaurantee better welds!!!!!

Image

Image

P.S. I'll be the red-headed stepchild for welding.... :D :D :D
___________________________

Wheatley science.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

This was my son Curtis welding on the his first day. I showed him what little I know about welding and let him go at it. He was 17.
Image
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Several years ago, there was a company in Missouri (I think) that offered a halogen light that attached to your MIG welding gun. Anybody know anything about it and if it is still available?

Lee
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Several years ago, there was a company in Missouri (I think) that offered a halogen light that attached to your MIG welding gun. Anybody know anything about it and if it is still available?

Lee
I searched for one but came up empty it is a great idea though.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Raymondo
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:26 pm

Post by Raymondo »

winifredevw wrote:I may be wrong, but I watch the "arc" to see where the metal flows. Is this a good practice? You guys know more than I. Please share.
When I learned to weld, I was taught that especially when I'm starting out I'll want to always be able to see flow. I've read this in books as well. I don't think there is any harm in it, but I'm really not qualified to state this as an absolute.

In fact, I think it's one of the major reasons why some people prefer pulling the weld vs pushing the weld.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

A little learning material. Watch this vid.
http://www.millerwelds.com/education/vi ... matic.html#
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Post Reply