Poor Man 4 seater.

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
Getrdone
Posts: 2978
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Post by Getrdone »

Ok, I follow now. I kept thinking mount deflection. The lower is the same. I may be looking at changing that. Hey why do so many long travel cars have no limit straps? They get air all the time, they must be thrashing their shocks. Am I missing sumtin?
User avatar
scott the viking
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am

Post by scott the viking »

Na...A lot of them don't like the "clutter" of limit straps. So they build in a stop somewhere else. I personally like straps because they are so much smoother as a stop. Otherwise it's kind of harsh when it unloads against a solid stop.
User avatar
The Wild Kids
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:12 pm

Post by The Wild Kids »

When I had my straps on this is how we set them up hope that it helps you out. Jack up the rear and let the suspension hang free. We used a angle gauge on the axle to meaasure the angle and adjusted the strap to keep is within limits of the CV angles. I never had any problems with my CV's but I also worked on the CVs and opened up the cages.

The Wild Kids
User avatar
tuff_puff
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:30 pm

Post by tuff_puff »

also alot of "tripple bypass" shocks have rubber bump stops built into them. so you dont need a limit strap. they just set the bypass to "bump out" a 1/2" or so befor the coilover does
User avatar
Getrdone
Posts: 2978
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Post by Getrdone »

I got it on the ground today. I will update soon.
Image
Last edited by Getrdone on Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Looks good lets see some side shots. What kind of travel are you getting? Yea I need to eat soon too. :D
User avatar
Getrdone
Posts: 2978
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Post by Getrdone »

Well, the front I am getting a true 12". The rear looks like 14". I may have too short a axle (19.25") to get the full droop I could have. I had the axle in with one clip on a side. Travel will be limited to how far the axle pulls out the cage on droop. I am running a T1 trans now. When I switch to a bus trans I should be able toget a bit more due to it being a bit wider . I just have to wait and see once it is all together and I can run the CV's with no boots and just enough grease to roll. Here is a side shot. The shocks are not even close to setup. I have to tke them out again to finish some trim on the wheel wells. I ran the e-brake out the side and through new tubes. The handle still needs to move back a few inches but travel should'nt affect it. The tube will be bent in to coverthe side of the pivot bolt once I am done aligning the rear. What are ypu guys running for toe in the back?
Image
Image
Last edited by Getrdone on Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
takotruckin
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:40 pm

Post by takotruckin »

i think rear toe in should be somewhere between 0" and 1/8"
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Hey clint it looks good. I really like the cage. Are you going to just rattle can it? or get it powdercoated?
User avatar
Getrdone
Posts: 2978
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Post by Getrdone »

powdercoating is for wimps. I like to be able to "fresh'n" it up with a rattle can. I never say be careful of the paint. If I decide to add something I can whenever. Powdercoating is nice but I am done stressing over scratching anything (except my shocks). I spent too many years on hotrods and streetrods that now I am burnt on being that anal. Tired of padding tools, jacks etc. I think the arms etc. would be cool to coat. But I am lazy and dont want to wait. You need to take everything in a batch to save money.
User avatar
Getrdone
Posts: 2978
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Post by Getrdone »

Ok, I finally capped the holes in the rear torsion area. It was one of those jobs you just keep ignoring and don't feel like doing. I'm actually very proud of them. I winged it freehand and nailed on the first shot on both sides. I also got the brake and turn signals in. I decided to mount the tire vertical. Pulled the shocks out to finish some paint and minor welding. I'm hoping to fire it up this weekend. I also need to make a handle for the e-brake. I am thinking of making two handes that can pin together for street use and seperate for a turning brake. I re-routed the the brake cables to run under the seats. What type of sealant do you use for the cir-clip on the drive flange. I bought some seals but forgot they are way to small for the 930 flange.
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
scott the viking
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am

Post by scott the viking »

That spare won't hold any air. :wink:
User avatar
The Wild Kids
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:12 pm

Post by The Wild Kids »

scott the viking wrote:That spare won't hold any air. :wink:
Also hard to mount with out some steel in the middle or aluminum. lol! As for the toe in you mentioned, we try to keep it to a minimum.

The Wild Kids
User avatar
Getrdone
Posts: 2978
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Post by Getrdone »

Started the wiring the other day. I understand why good wiring is so expensive, slooooowww. I need to order relays, warning lights and some switches. So far wiringsupplies.com has good prices anyone know of anywhere else? Finally put in the droop stops up front. I really underestimated the time I would spend on limits. I was pretty excited when I got zero bump steer through the entrie travel range, which ended up at 14"'s. I was expecting a small degree. I am done with nic knack stuff for now, it's time to drive. I need to put the shroud/alt together after some repair. I am pulling a alt. off another engine and do I need to get a new stand? I had a gen. Here are some pics.
Image
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Try http://www.delcity.net/ have had good luck with them not sure how prices are compared with wiringsupplies. Yes on the alternator stand.
Post Reply