My Buggy (re)Build.

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

takotruckin wrote:tim, i had trouble finding 2x3s for near the price as 3x3s
Tako...
the reply is intended for folks (and Ryan if it's not too late) minding a budget.

IF you use 2x3 or 2.5x2.5 you can easily get by with stock bus axles and CVs... then have a set of bug stubs milled down. It's not the cadillac (or porsche option) but then again it slows down the flood of money going out.

Most folks go 930 and 3x3 when they realy don't need to.
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Well as soon as I get back. I intend to finish my 002 tranny install.

I'll post up a few pics. However I am REALLY interested in seeing what Scott was talking about (cutting and turning the framhorns) to get the tranny to sit level.

Because of the fiberglass body style, I cant have the motor sit 6 degree's up...
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Well I guess I'll wing it.

I spent a few hours tonight making an adapter. I have the torque tool for VW axle nuts. Well I put on Disk brakes in the back and they have a chevy lug pattern. Low and behold of course my torque tool doesnt fit that pattern. I had originally thought that I could get those off with my impact gun, however they refused to move. I put them ON with the inpact gun though. Bah! They were as tight as a virgin on prom night!

After looking at the problem a bit I made a small adapter. Basically 3/8's plate, about an inch wide by 5 inches long. 2 holes that the lugs go through and a "pin" that holds the torque tool in place. If anyone is interested I can post pics of what I did.

In the meantime, now that I have my axles loose... I can remove the doglegs and then clearence for the tranny. Kinda doing the 002 tranny install at the same time I am putting the 3x3 arms on.
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Ryan I would like to see a picture of the tool you made sounds like it saved you a lot of time and aggrivasion. What size torsion bars are you running with the 3X3's?
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

The following pics should be self explanitory. However if anyone has questions please feel free to ask... This is the simple little adapter so that I can use the torque tool on my chevy lug pattern.

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic

And here is some progress. Before removing the doglegs, then after and some clearencing for the 002 tranny. Still have alot more clearencing to do though...

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic
User avatar
All_talk
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:01 am

Post by All_talk »

Hey Ryan, just checkin in on your thread, looking good.

What have you decided to do about leveling your trans? I have started on my rear suspension and am working out CV angles, shock mounts and such. I have run into a few issues that have me thinking about lowering the frame horns, I think I’ve talked myself back out of it tho.

What are you gonna do for upper shock mounts with the longer travel rear setup? You adding a cage?

You mentioned bus stub axles, I didn’t think those would work with T1 carriers, or did you get arms with T2 carriers? The BCR site says the 924/944/191 stubs will work but doesn’t say anything about the T2s.

Gary
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Ryan great job so far, kudos on the tool adapter. You don't have the dust problem I do but just for giggles take a clean soda can and push it over your brake line ends to keep foreign matter out, or tape if they have not had fluid run through them yet.
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Hey there Gary. I know that I am not going to get the Transmission perfectly level, but I hope to get it close. I am going to "notch" the area where the CV's/Flanges are do it can sit about an inch lower then it is now. Hoping I can raise the front about 1/2 inch as well and that should get me close.

I will be building a cage. I need to buy a tube bender though. Got to dig out the link and all. I think it's gonna cost nearly a grand for it though. <sigh>. On the brighter side, I'll be able to custom make my cage and I have a Baja and a Volksrod that also will need attention with custom cages. So at least it will see some decent usage.

I'll be tying the cage into the front and rear of the framehorns as well as the torsion tube. The cage will also be the top mounting area for my shocks. Since I havent decided what i am doing shock wise yet though, I can fabricate what I need onto the cage once I get them.

You are correct on the stub axles. I clarified with Leatherneck on his usage of them. They were 944 stubs he used. So, I picked up a pair of thing stubs for $100. Matched em up to my 944 CV's and looks great!

Leatherneck, I'll be pulling all of the lines off the rear and redoing them. From the turning brake back. I severely pinched one of them w/o realizing it when I put my seats in before. So need to replace one of them anyhow. Not to mention all the battery acid that got all over the one side.

You asked about torsions as well. I am using the swingaxle torsion bars for the shorter thing as well as adjustable spring plates.

~Ryan
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Resurrecting my thread.. Been a while since I worked on my Car. I recently purchased the Adjustable Spring plates I wanted with new grommet/Bushings for the springplates. I also got new covers.

Well this evening I went to put my new 3x3 arms on the car and I couldnt get the old bushings out of the end of the old arms. Frusterating as hell! So I need to purchase a new set of those as well I guess.

So since I couldnt put my arms on, I did some more clearencing and fitting of my 002 tranny. It's really close now. Much happier. Once the wife gets the digi camera hooked up to her PC again I'll be able to post the pics.

With my Tube Bender on the way, I am hoping to have the buggy ready to go by the end of the month. w00! One can hope right? :twisted:
User avatar
All_talk
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:01 am

Post by All_talk »

Looking forward to seeing more progress, can't wait tp see what you can fab up with the bender (I lust for one).

Hey, what did you do with your old roll bar, I'm looking for one to get me by until I can get a tube bender of my very own.

Gary
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

I still have my old rollbar, Im not sure what I am gonna do with it though.

Ran into another setback... I got a set of Adjustable springplates. However they gave me 2 right hand sides. <sigh> Was REALLY hoping to have the car rolling again tonight.
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

I feel your pain, I once got two rear trailing arms for the left side. Yea that slows a project down.
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Well sadly.... I've lost a large amnount of pictures. Not only from the past few days or working o nthe car but from our vacation in Utah. Not sure wtf happened to my camera...

Anyhow, The following pic shows my drivers side put together. I havent hacked off the shock tower on this side yet. You can also see the tranny. I clearenced things up a bit...

Image
Larger Pic

In the following picture, I had a question about the trailing arm. It doesnt seem to sit too low. However in the other thread about travel, I may have my awnser. To hack the hell out of the shock tower.

Image
Larger Pic

Lastly... Here is the right hand side where I did cut off the end of the shock tower.

Image
Larger Pic
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

So tonight I completed the right side. I am getting 11" of travel. Not sure if that is good or bad really. I posted about it in the measuring travel thread.

I have most of the left side clearenced but dont want to tighten it all up until I put the body on to make sure the tires are not going to hit the body. That would suck.

As soon as I get the travel worked out, I'll get started on the mackup cage using conduit. Once I have that situated I'll use it as a guide to make the actual cage.
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Well I have a BIG problem outline in another thread I started which really discouraged me. However I knew I had a whole day to myself and really wanted to make progress on the car.
I decided that I should get started on the rear mount for the transmission. I had tip trouble with my plasma cutter at 1st so some of the cuts are really horrid. Took me a while to clean them up.

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic

Image
Larger Pic

All in all at the end of the day I am a happy camper with what I accomplished. I am by no means a master fabricator. IT make look not so great. But I think it's functional.
I hope I can finish tomarrow. The plan is to have 2 small mounting tabs on the framehorns that will bolt through the parts over the top to hold it. Yes, it is a hard mount but it's a sand buggy so i'm not looking for smoothness on the road. :)
Post Reply