what is everyone cutting with?

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
allsierra123
Posts: 849
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:32 pm

what is everyone cutting with?

Post by allsierra123 »

I just broke a sawzall, so Im curious what everyone else is using to cut metal with?
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

A sawzall for on frame parts or the 14' chop saw for bench type cutting.
User avatar
All_talk
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:01 am

Post by All_talk »

Everything I got!

Depends on what I’m doing and what tool will work/fit: Horizontal/vertical Band saw, Sawzall, Skill saw with metal cutting blade, Angle grinder with metal cutting blade, Air die grinder with cutoff wheel, RotoZip with cutoff wheel, Air body saw, Jig saw, Torch and Hack saw... and that’s just in the last 2 weeks, LOL.

Gary
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

I have all the same stuff as Gary there with the exception of the rotozip. but then I add in my Plasma Cutter. I love that thing...
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Military Can Opener.. you've seen my stuff!

Hitatchi Recip Saw.. OR.. metal blade in a Compound Miter Saw.. nibber for body panels (or grinder)
MadDog
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:35 pm

Post by MadDog »

plasma cutter oooooohhhhhhhh!
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

MNAirHead wrote:Military Can Opener.. you've seen my stuff!
Is it a John Wayne or a P3 ?

Image
User avatar
takotruckin
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:40 pm

Post by takotruckin »

sawzall in spark/heat unfriendly areas. skilsaw with metal cutting blade for tube. plasma cutter, oxy acetylene torch, nibbler, die grinder with cutoff wheels, air chisel, hand shears, basically anything i can get my hands on
User avatar
SANDDUDE
Posts: 1617
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:15 pm

Post by SANDDUDE »

Leatherneck wrote:Is it a John Wayne or a P3 ?
Image

cP3o...

Image

I've never used either? :roll:
*member of SandRail IS running club
*member of Baja is NOT running club
User avatar
Big Dave
Posts: 3208
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 4:31 pm

Post by Big Dave »

Image
DesertGuy
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Post by DesertGuy »

For sheet metal up to 1/8", I use a DeWalt HD Jig Saw with Bosch Metal Blades. After 1/8", I use a Miller Spectrum 375.

For tubing: a vertical/horizontal bandsaw (Cheapy HF Model... slow but works decent). Chop Saw.

Holes in tubing: Milwaukee hole saws or Jancy Sluggers (Depends on the "what for")

... But, I think, Big Dave has the right idea :lol:
terry cloyd
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:41 pm

Post by terry cloyd »

Leatherneck wrote:
MNAirHead wrote:Military Can Opener.. you've seen my stuff!
Is it a John Wayne or a P3 ?

Image
David that's a P38 and Shelby Corp made it for US Army.
moturbopar
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:05 pm

Post by moturbopar »

DesertGuy wrote:For sheet metal up to 1/8", I use a DeWalt HD Jig Saw with Bosch Metal Blades. After 1/8", I use a Miller Spectrum 375.

For tubing: a vertical/horizontal bandsaw (Cheapy HF Model... slow but works decent). Chop Saw.

Holes in tubing: Milwaukee hole saws or Jancy Sluggers (Depends on the "what for")

... But, I think, Big Dave has the right idea :lol:
Those bosch blades are the best blades I have ever used for a jigsaw. I baught a pack of six, and have only use one up in over a year!, Used it to cut out speaker hole in a chevy truck, front off of a baja, lots of metal shaping and trimming. They almost make them too good. I also use a sawsall in places that I cant get the jigsaw in. On tubing or thick metal I use angle grinder or my chop saw.
User avatar
bajaherbie
Posts: 9967
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Post by bajaherbie »

i use mental telepathy...... :lol:


and if that doesn't work, my makita 4" angle grinder w/ a cut-off wheel. or the sawsall, or the ........
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
DesertGuy
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Post by DesertGuy »

bajaherbie wrote:i use mental telepathy...... :lol:

...Or, perhaps, "metal" telepathy...hmmmmmmmmmmmm :shock:


moturbopar: I agree, I have no complaints from those Bosch blades... seem to do the trick everytime.
Post Reply