Building the Ultimate Killer Bee!

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Thanks. I bookmarked it.
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Johnson adapter plate. The axle overtubes are at the welder.

Image
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

http://www.geocities.com/btsandsports/upright.html
Thrown Hammer I ran across this site it is on page 44 I think Here is a link to it some info on gear reduxes.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=40611
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Skid plates are cut out and ready to bend. I have the front end and engine skid done. Still working on the trans skid. I have the trans strap mounts so at the front they go under the frame horns. I think I can just stop short of them and weld one in. Or maybe notch the front corners out so they clear the straps but still go all the way up. Leaving enough clearance to get the straps out when needed. Need to cut a drain hole in it too. How big should that be?
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Engine skid is bent and mounted. The front skid should be ready to bolt on in a day or two. I have pics but have been Uber Busy. I will post them up as soon as I can. Once the shark mouth gets painted on the front skid I am changing the Baja's name from Sponge Bob to Killer Bee. 8)
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Here is the engine skid. I used 1/8" treadplate steel. I put the smooth side down.
Image

And here it is on the car.
Image
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

How is it mounted, fairly easy take off for screen changes? You should have no problems anything moving that.
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

You see those perfect beautiful welds?(cough...cough...) Those are the heads of carraige bolts and the engine cage is tabbed. So four bolts and it's off.
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Okay, I just talked to the guy with my front skid. It should be done today. I will try to get it painted and mounted up tonight and get some pics. (no shark paint yet, that will take some time)

I also got my Johnson no-hop axle tube stiffeners back from the welder. This guy is amazing. I don’t think they will EVER break at the weld. I will get some pics of those as well.
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Front skid.
Image

axle tube stiffeners.
Image
User avatar
bajaherbie
Posts: 9967
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Post by bajaherbie »

nice welding for sure.

what is right above the skid? a ratchet winch thingy?
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
User avatar
takotruckin
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:40 pm

Post by takotruckin »

click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click theres one foot, ten more to go click click click click click click ....
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

It’s a manual winch for “worst case, lost in the woods alone and buried to the pan recovery operations.” I don’t like the location so I need to move it. Where it is the hood and bumper interfere with the wrench so it is more like:

Click, click…………………. Click, click…………………. Click, click…………………. Click, click…………………. Click, click…………………. Click, click…………………. Click, click…………………. Click, click…………………. Click, click…………………. Click, click…………………. Click, click…………………. Click, click…………………. Click, click…………………. Click, click…………………. Click, click…………………. Click, click………………….
:lol:
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

I got the engine cowl trimmed and painted. I plan to put the hi-lift on the roof rack Tim is holding for me. Now i have a place to mount my pirate flag! 8)

Image

And the shot we have all been waiting for...SHARK MOUTH!!! I went thru a ton of masking tape but got-r-done. Notice the "angry eyes" on the headlights. :D

Image

Tim, could you please change the title of the thread to "Building the ultimate Killer Bee" so Leatherneck can get the freakin' SpongeBob song out of his head? :lol:
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Heck please don't wait on ole Timmy boy. go to your first post hit the edit button and change the thread title to "Building the ultimate Killer Bee" , instead of that that soggy sponge. . Every fricken morning going to work. Who lives in a pineapple under the sea sponge bob square pants, who is irritating to have to listen to Sponge Bob you get the idea.
Post Reply