Building the Ultimate Killer Bee!

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Best bet is to take it apart (you need to anyway) and measure the parts you need then ask the vendors for that size. It could be a stock beam that has been modified could be a warrior could be a johnny come lately off-road beam. Heck I would want to take it apart anyway just to see what the P.O. did to it. Greasy fingers,busted knuckles and beer, yea buddy :lol:
User avatar
shmoishere
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:29 pm

Post by shmoishere »

I concur,

there is pretty much no way to tell from your pic what bushings it will require.

SHMO
User avatar
bajaherbie
Posts: 9967
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Post by bajaherbie »

use the kitchen table when you pull out the trailing arms and bushings......
User avatar
scott the viking
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am

Post by scott the viking »

Now you're just pointing out the obvious...I am sure he knew that. :lol:
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Well I was gonna use the dishwasher to clean the arms anyway so the kitchen table is a no-brainer!

I wish we had a VW parts house local….Maybe I should start one up?
User avatar
scott the viking
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am

Post by scott the viking »

thrown_hammer wrote:Well I was gonna use the dishwasher to clean the arms

MAN....I got busted the other day doing that....I forgot and left a cylinder head to my dirtbike in the dishwasher. The ol' lady was not........pleased. I think the big issue was that I have a rather spendy, thermal parts cleaner...but that was all the way out in the shop and it was 104 degrees outside. So I figured...why leave an air conditioned house, beer and a comfy chair when I have a parts washer right here. No one will ever know...I'll just take it out when it's done, right after I finish this six pack and take a little nap. Next thing I knew...I awoke to the words WTF :evil: !!! and her looking in the dishwasher. :shock:
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Scott....

You're now on a good roll... if you do this enough times close enough together she'll move to the next stage...

numbness....


Then if you keep it up you'll become entertainment.

T.

So does the dishwasher thing work???? I can pull just about anything at home.
User avatar
scott the viking
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am

Post by scott the viking »

MNAirHead wrote:
So does the dishwasher thing work???? I can pull just about anything at home.

You bet...really hot water mixed with a soap that will pretty much remove skin.
A lot of folks don't know just how potent electric dish washing soap really is. If you have a stainless steel thermos or coffee pot that is stained brown inside from years of use, then you know you can scrub and scrub and there will be no change. Put a little electric dishsoap in the bottom, fill it with really hot water (boiling) and let it sit for an hour. When you dump it out...it will look like brand new. Good stuff for cleaning about anything, but don't get it on your clothes.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

In my day work --- we mfg professional cleaning chemicals...

You'd be amazed at what the chemists have shown me...

Dishwasher... I'll have to remember this... maybe have to pick one up for our shop.... can't have enough clutter.

Timmy
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

One of the guys over at GruppeB tried the dishwasher parts cleaner trick and fried his dish washer and left a film all over the inside.

http://www.gruppeb.org/forum/viewtopic. ... ish+washer
User avatar
scott the viking
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am

Post by scott the viking »

PHEEEY! the guy has a crap dish washer...I have been using mines for YEARS and I would have never even been caught had I not fallen asleep at my post.
Or...he may have hard water...I know that if you have really hard water it will not clean very well at all.
Also...I'm really not the type of guy that would shove an engine block with an inch of oil and grime on it in there...I try to get what I am putting in kind of clean before I do. That way it is just getting in the hard to reach spots.
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Ordered a set of retreads from High-Tec retreading. http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/sizes.html

I got the 31x10.5x15 OTR Mud terrains. For two tires shipped to my door the tab was $155. Got them mounted up today and stuck them on. So far so good. If the tread delaminates and I do several barrel rolls as soon as the casts come off I will let you guys know. IMO they look pretty sweet…

Image
User avatar
Big Dave
Posts: 3208
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 4:31 pm

Post by Big Dave »

thrown_hammer wrote:Ordered a set of retreads from High-Tec retreading. http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/sizes.html

I got the 31x10.5x15 OTR Mud terrains. For two tires shipped to my door the tab was $155. Got them mounted up today and stuck them on. So far so good. If the tread delaminates and I do several barrel rolls as soon as the casts come off I will let you guys know. IMO they look pretty sweet…

Image
Pretty sweet for $155!
My MTs cost me $420 :(
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

I am pretty sure these have the same tread pattern as the BFG M/Ts. I only got two tires for $155. I could of gotten a set of four for $300 dropped at my front door. These are retreads so we will see how they wear. They came with a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

If someone is interested in lower quality tires... a friend bought a pair of TSLs for $200 shipped.

Can find info if someone is ready to order.
Post Reply