*Update* turbotype4

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
jonas_linder

*Update* turbotype4

Post by jonas_linder »

This thread contiunes where the "Hmm- turbotype4" ( http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=87503 ) thread ended.

I have started my new header!

This is my homemade stubpipes
- The flanges are lasercut and are 12mm at the head and 10mm at the header.
- Welded by me with my mig

(be nice, I haven't taken any weldingclasses ;) )
Image <<--- this pictures is lost :(

As you can see they need a bit of "porting" and also som matching to the head

Image<<--- this pictures is lost :(

Here is my very first collector, not the nicest looking collector in the world ;)

Any tip how I should welded to the header ?

This is just the start, it needs more welding and alot of cleaning :roll:

This is a "mockup"

VWarms greetings from sweden ;)
Last edited by jonas_linder on Sat May 20, 2006 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frallan2

Post by Frallan2 »

I do not think you should worry too much about how you weld. Looks good an specially if you are new to it.
The only thing which I told you before is to be aware of when MIG welding is the bits that could come loose and ruin your turbo.
Congratulations!
Thanks for sharing pictures, it is like visiting someones garage and I love it.
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Thanks fredrik, I respect your replays, you have som much experience ( or so it seams ? :roll: :wink: )

I will share more! No problems ;)
Wesayso

Post by Wesayso »

Can't wait to see more...

I like the home made stuff....
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

It will be more this week ;)
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

Looks great!! I too love home-built things and custom fabrication like this. I'm considering a similar project for a turbo I have kicking around. Keep up the good work!!
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

nate@nateswaterart wrote:Looks great!! I too love home-built things and custom fabrication like this. I'm considering a similar project for a turbo I have kicking around. Keep up the good work!!
Your site was the first I found when I was starting in the VWscene, how is the CISengine coming along ? Keep up the good work you too :)

A little update to the project ( or the projectcar anyway :roll: )

Yesterday I was at my friends place and scored a set of whitespooks.. went to another friend and got rid of the rubber and this morning I left them for sandblasting and painting :)

Today I will try to finish the collector, more updates later!
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Update 2005-06-01

Went to the garage yesterday

Tried to weld the collector inside.. gave up.. took of the uper part of it and finished welding!

Took the dremel and startet to grind it inside... this takes a really long time....

This morning I finished the grinding inside.. now it's just a little more work welding it all up again and weld on the flange!

Before I thought this was kinda easy.. now I have _great_ respect for people like Tiger, chris and turbothomas that can make great looking collectors without all the grinding :oops:

No new pictures... I got a evil virus at my homecomputer :evil:

Oh and bugrun is next friday.. the engine should be ready by then :shock:
Jari Granath

Post by Jari Granath »

Hi!

First of all, gotta love your DIY project, much more interesting than the usual dual dells/webers type1 stroker blahblah... 8)

Next time you plan on grinding weld seams or for example, doing some work on the heads I think you´d find an air-powered grinder with some good quality blades much more useful than a dremel..

I think wurthfor example has some good ones that can be bought over there too.
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Yeah I know.. I'm moving to a new shop.. I don't have a compressor connected in this garage.. But I can't let the project sleep, can I ? :roll: :wink:

Tonight I have no time to work on the project..

Thanks for your input :)
slowtwitch

Post by slowtwitch »

jonas_linder wrote:Update 2005-06-01

Before I thought this was kinda easy.. now I have _great_ respect for people like Tiger, chris and turbothomas that can make great looking collectors without all the grinding :oops:
You know Jonas, they all where beginners at one time. Keep up the great job. I'll attempt to build my own exhaust for my 67 very soon, so I'm watching this post. Thanks for the updates.

pete
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

slowtwitch wrote:You know Jonas, they all where beginners at one time. Keep up the great job. I'll attempt to build my own exhaust for my 67 very soon, so I'm watching this post. Thanks for the updates.

pete
Thanks Pete :)
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Okej, here we go :)

Here is a "dummyengine" - empty inside, bad heads, etc - assembled to fabricate the header. It sits on my homemade enginestand!

The stubpipes went on with no problems! Only the number4 stub had to be notched a little!

Another angle

An overview of my garage... not much room to spare.. Up on the table is my buggy and behind it is 3 vwpowered waterpumps!

The finished collector!

It needs a bit of grinding and cleaning!

Me holding it in the correct position in front of the number three cylinder.

And finally an overview of the garage with my sandblasted 58 shell sitting in the front :)
Last edited by jonas_linder on Sat May 20, 2006 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe vw

Post by Joe vw »

And I thought my shop was a mess :shock: :!:
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Joe vw wrote:And I thought my shop was a mess :shock: :!:
Well, little time, to little space and moving to another garage does that :lol: :wink: