Anybody got any (cheap!) solutions for use with standard style (vacuum or 050/009) dizzy & coil
thanks
Martin
:0)
Boost Retarding Ignition
-
Steve Arndt
- Posts: 7420
- Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2001 12:01 am
Boost Retarding Ignition
It is possible to use a stock vac advance distributor and make it a pressure retard intstead. It is possible, and not very hard I don't think, but I haven't done it. A year ago on the Cal Look forum a guy had just done this and was quite happy with it.
Another option is to hit ebay or Summit racing (for new) and buy an MSD 6BTM. It is a regular MSD 6 rev limit CDI box, but with a MAP sensor and adjustable retard per boost amount.
Another option is to hit ebay or Summit racing (for new) and buy an MSD 6BTM. It is a regular MSD 6 rev limit CDI box, but with a MAP sensor and adjustable retard per boost amount.
-
volkaholic
Boost Retarding Ignition
I used a 009, set timing at idle at 8'BTDC, then limited total advance to 28' by taking apart the distributor & bending over the little tab so the weights hit it sooner. It works great! I would get better gas mileage if there was a way to have the normal advance curve when not under boost, then retard it when under boost, but this works. I looked at using a vacuum canister as a boost retard by reversing the action, but had no luck. But, I'm sure it can be done with enough effort.
- Steve C
- Posts: 1143
- Joined: Sun May 14, 2000 12:01 am
Boost Retarding Ignition
Hi Martin
A friend of mine used a dual vac dizzy and just fed boost into one of the vac can ports to make it retard on boost. Grab a dizzy and blow into it to see which port is which.
Regards Steve C
A friend of mine used a dual vac dizzy and just fed boost into one of the vac can ports to make it retard on boost. Grab a dizzy and blow into it to see which port is which.
Regards Steve C
-
MdR
- Posts: 85
- Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2000 12:01 am
Boost Retarding Ignition
Steve
that seems far too easy!!!
I'll give it a try
Thanks everyone
Martin

that seems far too easy!!!
I'll give it a try
Thanks everyone
Martin
- Sharkey
- Posts: 966
- Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2000 12:01 am
Boost Retarding Ignition
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MdR:
<B>Steve
that seems far too easy!!!
I'll give it a try
Thanks everyone
Martin
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Like it or not, this is a proven technique. CB once sold Bosch 205 dizzies with their older carbureted turbo kits.
<B>Steve
that seems far too easy!!!
I'll give it a try
Thanks everyone
Martin
Like it or not, this is a proven technique. CB once sold Bosch 205 dizzies with their older carbureted turbo kits.
-
Carsten
Boost Retarding Ignition
Heres what I did:
Go to the junkyard, find a 205 dissy from a vanagon. take the one with dual vacum canoister. grab all the electrict, coils, idle stabilasor.
The dual vacum will retard under boost around 7 dergrees. I changed the springs inside to get 34 degrees at 2500 rpm. then _7 under boost. I blocked the vacum advance so I wouldt see the mutch advance. a one way valve will do.
this way you get boost retard. Hall sensor pick up. All oem!!
I have it in a 1776 and will do it on mu 2276 too!
Carsten
Go to the junkyard, find a 205 dissy from a vanagon. take the one with dual vacum canoister. grab all the electrict, coils, idle stabilasor.
The dual vacum will retard under boost around 7 dergrees. I changed the springs inside to get 34 degrees at 2500 rpm. then _7 under boost. I blocked the vacum advance so I wouldt see the mutch advance. a one way valve will do.
this way you get boost retard. Hall sensor pick up. All oem!!
I have it in a 1776 and will do it on mu 2276 too!
Carsten
- Tom Notch
- Moderator
- Posts: 3332
- Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2000 12:01 am
Boost Retarding Ignition
Carsten, aren't you the the person I emailed the 205 dizzy specs to about a year ago? The Bentley ones that are about a whole page? I finally got the later Bentley book and it also has some info. I'll look at them again and make another scan for reference. I'll let all know when they are available and will probably post them on my web page, saves me a lot of sloooooooow upload time when ever someone would want a copy.
------------------
Tom Notch
Tom's Old VW Home
------------------
Tom Notch
Tom's Old VW Home
-
Carsten
Boost Retarding Ignition
yes thats me!
I would like to get the newer 205 specs to! the vanagon 205 with the Hall sensor is really nice!
I shall put in my new 2276 turbo intercooled halltech engine today..... hope to fire it up around easter.
Carsten
I would like to get the newer 205 specs to! the vanagon 205 with the Hall sensor is really nice!
I shall put in my new 2276 turbo intercooled halltech engine today..... hope to fire it up around easter.
Carsten