about to get a bradley!
-
Bob Standal
- Posts: 96
- Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:15 pm
about to get a bradley!
I'm about to go pick up (I hope) My very first VW kitkar! it's a bradley GT2. Is there anything I should look out for? I'll be buying it without the pan, since I already have one. any tips would be appreciated. btw, here is the link:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=111330
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=111330
- Kubel Nick
- Posts: 1770
- Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:01 am
Any kits or fiberglass bodied cars you'd have to look for body cracks from years of stress on the body (flexing or bad 'glass job). If you're worried about original gelcoat then lok at spiderwebbing on the coat surface, if you're going to repaint it I wouldn't worry too much abou that. Also be aware of special parts as alot of kit parts are near impossible to find. But being a Bradley Sun Ray makes alot of new replacement stuff for them.
-
Chris in Ohio
- Posts: 52
- Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:01 am
if i wanted any info about a bradley i would go to http://www.bradleygt.com they have a site listed for the gt 2 as well. also a for sale page. good luck. chris
-
Chris in Ohio
- Posts: 52
- Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:01 am
-
jspbtown
- Posts: 88
- Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:01 am
Just some ideas for you.
1. Watch out for the doors and how they close. GTII's were infamous for settling out back causing the doors to have pretty wide gaps in them.
2. Consider getting a tilt steering column for the car. The steering wheel angle looks pretty high, and if you rotate the steering box too much then you will have some issues with bump steer.
3. Windshields and gas tanks are custom Bradley units. They are not from any other car. Windshields are available but expensive, and SunRay does NOT do GTII parts. Heck, they barely will sell you GT parts. Gas tanks are rare, but you may be able to customize something.
4. The wiring looks like a nightmare. Get yourself a wiring kit (Painless or another manufacturer) and start from scratch. You will save a ton of time in the long run.
5. Seats are custom bradley units and work pretty well. Substituting other seats can be a challenge. They need to be low and narrow.
6. Looks like you will need replacement weatherstripping. Check out www.soffseal.com. Lots of custom applications
1. Watch out for the doors and how they close. GTII's were infamous for settling out back causing the doors to have pretty wide gaps in them.
2. Consider getting a tilt steering column for the car. The steering wheel angle looks pretty high, and if you rotate the steering box too much then you will have some issues with bump steer.
3. Windshields and gas tanks are custom Bradley units. They are not from any other car. Windshields are available but expensive, and SunRay does NOT do GTII parts. Heck, they barely will sell you GT parts. Gas tanks are rare, but you may be able to customize something.
4. The wiring looks like a nightmare. Get yourself a wiring kit (Painless or another manufacturer) and start from scratch. You will save a ton of time in the long run.
5. Seats are custom bradley units and work pretty well. Substituting other seats can be a challenge. They need to be low and narrow.
6. Looks like you will need replacement weatherstripping. Check out www.soffseal.com. Lots of custom applications
- MNAirHead
- Posts: 9570
- Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am
REALLY check the windows and plastic doors....
I live about 10 miles from the current owner of replacement parts.... he won't sell if you even stop by
GTs are cool cars (especially a II).... these are not ones to piece back together... they're too easy to find complete.
You'd be amazed at how many of these are tucked in garages etc.
T.
I live about 10 miles from the current owner of replacement parts.... he won't sell if you even stop by
GTs are cool cars (especially a II).... these are not ones to piece back together... they're too easy to find complete.
You'd be amazed at how many of these are tucked in garages etc.
T.
-
DV8
- Posts: 12
- Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:05 pm
GTII for sale
Thanks for the input guys - by the way I'm the would-be seller of the Bradley in question.
To address everyone's concerns:
Bradley GTII's are "too easy to come by complete" for "little more money"?? Show me an example in the price range we are talking about. GT's maybe but II's?
If bolting the body on a vw pan and installing seats & carpet is "considerable work involved" then I think we should find a different hobby.
Plastic doors? Fiberglass.....and this body isn't "settled" at all.
Read. The gas tank is INCLUDED. As is all of the mounting, Seats (complete with tracks), console, and all of the other Bradley kit stuff. Hell even the original guages and mirrors are included.
The wiring has been disconnected from the panel for some reason - all of the switches are still hooked up to the wiring. It is hanging there for lack of a better thing to do with it. Would you suggest cutting it out or just ripping it?
I have tried to be as honest as possible in describing this car - sometimes pictures don't do justice to the true condition. If I had the motivation I could have this on the road in a couple of weekends - I have lost interest. If its not worth the asking price then someone please tell me what they think it IS worth. (as a seller and not a potential buyer)
Chris
To address everyone's concerns:
Bradley GTII's are "too easy to come by complete" for "little more money"?? Show me an example in the price range we are talking about. GT's maybe but II's?
If bolting the body on a vw pan and installing seats & carpet is "considerable work involved" then I think we should find a different hobby.
Plastic doors? Fiberglass.....and this body isn't "settled" at all.
Read. The gas tank is INCLUDED. As is all of the mounting, Seats (complete with tracks), console, and all of the other Bradley kit stuff. Hell even the original guages and mirrors are included.
The wiring has been disconnected from the panel for some reason - all of the switches are still hooked up to the wiring. It is hanging there for lack of a better thing to do with it. Would you suggest cutting it out or just ripping it?
I have tried to be as honest as possible in describing this car - sometimes pictures don't do justice to the true condition. If I had the motivation I could have this on the road in a couple of weekends - I have lost interest. If its not worth the asking price then someone please tell me what they think it IS worth. (as a seller and not a potential buyer)
Chris
-
Chris in Ohio
- Posts: 52
- Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 1:01 am
Chill DV8, a quetsion was asked an OPINIONS were given. I'm not out to make or brake your deal, I just think that if the guy is new to bradleys, he should check all options. I was just saying that the cost of the car + the cost to get it on the road could pass the cost of a running, driving, gt11. (lots of them for $2500). But hey, maybe this guy would like the peace of mind that he built the car. And by the way gt11s are not that rare, but if you have a good gt11 windsheild, they are hard to find.
Sorry if I ticked you off, I was just trying to help another man make an informed decision. Chris
Sorry if I ticked you off, I was just trying to help another man make an informed decision. Chris
-
Guest
Well, congrats, the deal is broken. You saved him from the kitcar hobby and all of its terrible problems.
The deal was to trade a incomplete non-running baja bug for a incomplete non-running Bradley. As a financially challenged college student I'm sure he can pick up a complete driver easily though since they are all over the place.
I would rather have had cash for it but since he had a nice start on the baja and having a weak spot in my heart for basket cases I was OK trading for it. Even spent some hard to come by time putting it on a pan I didn't really want to part with and getting the title notarized so as to be ready when he rolled in this weekend. I was even spotting him the $20 to get the title made for his baja......
Maybe everyone could try to be a little more positive when handing out pointers on this hobby. Could be we are scaring off more people than we are helping.
Chris
The deal was to trade a incomplete non-running baja bug for a incomplete non-running Bradley. As a financially challenged college student I'm sure he can pick up a complete driver easily though since they are all over the place.
I would rather have had cash for it but since he had a nice start on the baja and having a weak spot in my heart for basket cases I was OK trading for it. Even spent some hard to come by time putting it on a pan I didn't really want to part with and getting the title notarized so as to be ready when he rolled in this weekend. I was even spotting him the $20 to get the title made for his baja......
Maybe everyone could try to be a little more positive when handing out pointers on this hobby. Could be we are scaring off more people than we are helping.
Chris
-
Guest
It really wasn't this forum that made me change my mind. It's just that I dont think I can afford the extra expense of a new project, and besides, mine is so close to being finished, I'd rather just finish it, have some fun with it and then maybe move on to another challenge. I didn't mean to make you do a whole bunch of unneccesary work. You've been a really great "would be" seller. And you better believe when the baja is done and the fun has been had my next project will be a bradley.