Tempered glass ....cut with a Plasma?

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
Billyisgr8

Tempered glass ....cut with a Plasma?

Post by Billyisgr8 »

I keep thinking about my chop top bug and have stock tempered glass, but no extra to experiment on.

Do you think I could put a sheet of metal under the glass and then cut the glass with the plasma?

The flame should be hot enough, I just wonder if anyone has tried it.

Kevin
JohnConnolly
Posts: 3336
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2000 12:01 am

Re: Tempered glass ....cut with a Plasma?

Post by JohnConnolly »

I have no on plasma (too hot I would think), but I do know that a water-jet will do it.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
vdubyah73
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:01 am

Post by vdubyah73 »

I thought a plasma cutter worked on an electric arc and air pressure to blow the burnt metal away. Kinda like an arc welder with air and high amps to actually burn the metal . Can't arc it through glass. Bill
User avatar
buckly1
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:01 am

Post by buckly1 »

i think thats what he was getting at with the sheet metal on the back side of the glass
GDRBO
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:01 am

Post by GDRBO »

I believe the heat will cause expansion and shatter the glass.
Bruce2
Posts: 7105
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2001 1:01 am

Post by Bruce2 »

I predict you will explode the glass too.

If you want glass made, take a stock piece of glass and hold it in a stock window opening to see how it fits. Then make your template from thin sheet aluminum and get the glass cut to fit. Once its cut they will temper it for you. I just got a pair of rear windows made for $40cdn.
User avatar
buckly1
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:01 am

Post by buckly1 »

you can make you own useing poly-carbonate or lexan just be carefull not to scratch it up.
Last edited by buckly1 on Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
kevin @ No Dollars Racing
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:01 am

Post by kevin @ No Dollars Racing »

Only electrically conductive materials can be cut with a plasma cutter. Glass is not conductive. Sorry.
Billyisgr8

Post by Billyisgr8 »

kevin @ No Dollars Racing wrote:Only electrically conductive materials can be cut with a plasma cutter. Glass is not conductive. Sorry.
thats why there would be sheet metal under it. To make the complete circuit.

I would like to try it, maybe I can find some tempered glass somewhere. for free.

Kevin
User avatar
Marc
Moderator
Posts: 23741
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Marc »

Bruce2 wrote:...Once its cut they will temper it for you...
Another option would be to have them cut from laminated safety glass (the stuff used in windshields). Cadillac started doing that long ago, both for safety and reduced noise & UV transmission.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question508.htm
http://www.alumaxbath.com/tech/tgp.htm

Note the trick of using polarized sunglasses to see if the glass is truly heat-treated.
User avatar
kevin @ No Dollars Racing
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:01 am

Post by kevin @ No Dollars Racing »

I am a bit confused now, If you have glass between the tip and the metal backing plate, then you now have a non conductive unit in between, so why does it matter if you have metal under it or not if the conduction is not there to start??? Somebody let me know. I dont want to sound stupid but huh?
Billyisgr8

Post by Billyisgr8 »

With my plasma as soon as I get about 1/2" ( it could be more since I have never really looked at how high above it starts) away from the metal it will start the plasma arc. Anything in the way would also get cut. It could be wood, leather, glass anything as long as I stay within the range for the plasma to keep the arc flame going. The key would be to have the metal stick beyond the glass so an arc could be started, then move it onto the glass and the arc will continue through the metal under it.

Kevin
User avatar
vdubsinjensen
Posts: 790
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2001 12:01 am

Post by vdubsinjensen »

A few times I was cutting away with my plasma cutter,then realized the ground clamp wasn't attached.It didn't seem to matter if it was connected or not.
User avatar
p-nor
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:01 am

Post by p-nor »

glass is an insulator not a conductor and shouldn't let the arc reach the metal. if you started it with the metal and traveled to where the sheet of glass was, you would lose the arc. as far as the electricity was concerned the distance wouldn't be in a straight line but rather in a curved line around the glass and back to the metal. once that distance was greater than the 1/2" or so that you needed for an arc, you'd lose the arc.




at least i think. :D



paul
Billyisgr8

Post by Billyisgr8 »

OK I cut my 1/4 window glass tonight with the plasma. I got about 1 1/2" into the glass then it shattered from the heat. I was actually surprised, I had thought while I was cutting this is way too easy.

As a note though, 1 time in the cut I went to fast, and the flame cut out since the glass did block the flame travel as it was not melted yet. As long as I went slow the glass was being melted. I used a sheet of 1/16" steel underneath to conduct the current.


Myth busted.

Kevin
Post Reply