Tempered glass ....cut with a Plasma?
-
Billyisgr8
Tempered glass ....cut with a Plasma?
I keep thinking about my chop top bug and have stock tempered glass, but no extra to experiment on.
Do you think I could put a sheet of metal under the glass and then cut the glass with the plasma?
The flame should be hot enough, I just wonder if anyone has tried it.
Kevin
Do you think I could put a sheet of metal under the glass and then cut the glass with the plasma?
The flame should be hot enough, I just wonder if anyone has tried it.
Kevin
-
JohnConnolly
- Posts: 3336
- Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2000 12:01 am
Re: Tempered glass ....cut with a Plasma?
I have no on plasma (too hot I would think), but I do know that a water-jet will do it.
John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
-
Bruce2
- Posts: 7105
- Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2001 1:01 am
I predict you will explode the glass too.
If you want glass made, take a stock piece of glass and hold it in a stock window opening to see how it fits. Then make your template from thin sheet aluminum and get the glass cut to fit. Once its cut they will temper it for you. I just got a pair of rear windows made for $40cdn.
If you want glass made, take a stock piece of glass and hold it in a stock window opening to see how it fits. Then make your template from thin sheet aluminum and get the glass cut to fit. Once its cut they will temper it for you. I just got a pair of rear windows made for $40cdn.
- kevin @ No Dollars Racing
- Posts: 735
- Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:01 am
-
Billyisgr8
thats why there would be sheet metal under it. To make the complete circuit.kevin @ No Dollars Racing wrote:Only electrically conductive materials can be cut with a plasma cutter. Glass is not conductive. Sorry.
I would like to try it, maybe I can find some tempered glass somewhere. for free.
Kevin
- Marc
- Moderator
- Posts: 23741
- Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am
Another option would be to have them cut from laminated safety glass (the stuff used in windshields). Cadillac started doing that long ago, both for safety and reduced noise & UV transmission.Bruce2 wrote:...Once its cut they will temper it for you...
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question508.htm
http://www.alumaxbath.com/tech/tgp.htm
Note the trick of using polarized sunglasses to see if the glass is truly heat-treated.
- kevin @ No Dollars Racing
- Posts: 735
- Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:01 am
-
Billyisgr8
With my plasma as soon as I get about 1/2" ( it could be more since I have never really looked at how high above it starts) away from the metal it will start the plasma arc. Anything in the way would also get cut. It could be wood, leather, glass anything as long as I stay within the range for the plasma to keep the arc flame going. The key would be to have the metal stick beyond the glass so an arc could be started, then move it onto the glass and the arc will continue through the metal under it.
Kevin
Kevin
- vdubsinjensen
- Posts: 790
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2001 12:01 am
- p-nor
- Posts: 41
- Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:01 am
glass is an insulator not a conductor and shouldn't let the arc reach the metal. if you started it with the metal and traveled to where the sheet of glass was, you would lose the arc. as far as the electricity was concerned the distance wouldn't be in a straight line but rather in a curved line around the glass and back to the metal. once that distance was greater than the 1/2" or so that you needed for an arc, you'd lose the arc.
at least i think.
paul
at least i think.
paul
-
Billyisgr8
OK I cut my 1/4 window glass tonight with the plasma. I got about 1 1/2" into the glass then it shattered from the heat. I was actually surprised, I had thought while I was cutting this is way too easy.
As a note though, 1 time in the cut I went to fast, and the flame cut out since the glass did block the flame travel as it was not melted yet. As long as I went slow the glass was being melted. I used a sheet of 1/16" steel underneath to conduct the current.
Myth busted.
Kevin
As a note though, 1 time in the cut I went to fast, and the flame cut out since the glass did block the flame travel as it was not melted yet. As long as I went slow the glass was being melted. I used a sheet of 1/16" steel underneath to conduct the current.
Myth busted.
Kevin