CB Rotohub Rear Discs - ALL MUST READ!!!
- shambly
- Posts: 64
- Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:07 am
To revive this thread, my car just failed its annual inspection (MoT to us brits) on excessive rear wheel bearing play, both sides.
I removed the split pins and checked the castle nuts - both needed significant tightening to get them back to spec. This on a car thats done 800 miles since being built last year with new rear german drums from CSP (5-lug conversion drums for 4-lug cars)
Something to check with all new rear brake components after a few hundred miles?
I removed the split pins and checked the castle nuts - both needed significant tightening to get them back to spec. This on a car thats done 800 miles since being built last year with new rear german drums from CSP (5-lug conversion drums for 4-lug cars)
Something to check with all new rear brake components after a few hundred miles?
- Searoy
- Posts: 2869
- Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2001 12:01 am
I was. Things change. Now I am moving to Eugene Oregon. I got a job now and we have bod on a house. I drive away necxt Monday.Piledriver wrote:Searoy:
Aren't you moving to Oklahoma?
Get used to that buttcrack view...
Maybe next summer I can get back into a Fastback streetrod or something. I already know what I'll build if given the chance, and the budget. Oh well. Here we go again.
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
Eugene is so cool, sort of like a twilight zone flashback to the `60s/70s... ACVW heaven, hippies and all.
And "Halfway down state" == ~ <1.5 hour, depending on your foot.
I'd move back to Oregon in a flash, except for the minor issue that I REALLY LIKE my current job...
And "Halfway down state" == ~ <1.5 hour, depending on your foot.
I'd move back to Oregon in a flash, except for the minor issue that I REALLY LIKE my current job...
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
-
NextGen
- Posts: 2830
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2001 12:01 am
As you know disks are cheap. When I first built this bug 15 years ago, I had a load of 914 stuff laying around. I found out there was a kit for rears using 914 calibers. Extremely expensive at the time. I bought one mounting bracket and two emergency cable brackets. Made a copy of the mouting bracket out of steel and cut down two T-3 hubs to fit in the 914 discs. Even though I hate the 914 brakes. You have to use a fielder gauge to set the pads. I have never had to change the pads in 50k miles!!! Also be aware if you need an emergency brake get the right kit.
Joe
Joe
Joe Cali
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual
Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield
http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.
Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual
Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield
http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.
Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
-
NextGen
- Posts: 2830
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2001 12:01 am
E- maybe I lost something here, you say you have 914 calibers, are they on the car? Are you having a problem with lose axle nuts? Like I said 50 and not a problem.
Joe
Joe
Joe Cali
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual
Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield
http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.
Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual
Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield
http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.
Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
- Ephry73
- Posts: 3369
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am
No Joe. Sorry, I had purchased a set of rear 914 calipers to maybe adapt to the car, but after further research, it was going to be to costly for me to do so. I then tried the 944 route, and the system is easier to install, but requires porsche bolt pattern wheels. For the money the CB system is not bad at all. I just wanted to see if Charles was ever able to come up with the right "aging" temperature and length.
Hey Joe, how are the brackets oriented on your car(rear ones)
Thanks for the info.
Ephry
Hey Joe, how are the brackets oriented on your car(rear ones)
Thanks for the info.
Ephry
-
NextGen
- Posts: 2830
- Joined: Wed May 30, 2001 12:01 am
E--------OK the brackets. I am trying to remember, They are retangular and have a big hole in the middle and the 4 bolts of the bearing cover hold them in place. It is offset inward and the calibers fit on the offset. The emergency brake brackets are like a triangle. The flat base bolts to the other bracket and the thin end has a hole and clamp to old the outer sleeve of the emerg. cable. THe bracket is horizontal. Cool looking set up. But you know, I wonder how much better it stops with discs on all four. I think it may stop just as well with disc on the front only. Granted we are all freakin nuts and it is strange what we think is cool. Those are drums on the back not just nothing.,
Something to think about.
Joe
Something to think about.
Joe
Joe Cali
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual
Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield
http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.
Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual
Beetle Magnetic Deflector Shield
http://www.nextgen-usa.com
Next Generation-U.S.A.
Email: [email protected]
or
[email protected]
- Ephry73
- Posts: 3369
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am
True, and poitn definitely taken. I like the idea of discs all around for more than one reason,
-My wife's Golf TDi has vented discs all around and l love te stoping on that car! virtually no fade during hard braking, and the rain doesn't seem to bother it at all.
-I like the fact that I don't have to adjust the discs at all.
-Easy to replace the pads (to me at least) than the shoes on drum brakes.
-If going over high waters, the brakes are still there.
-Sounds more cool when you say you have discs all around
I am going to start getting rid of all these extra parts I have, since I already purchased the CB disc setup. The research and knowing it's really cheap to get the Porsche brakes is definitely worth it, just need to get my own lathe or find a decent machine shop to do trimming.
I still want to make sure I get the roto hubs to set properly and at what torque reading to first bolt them down.
I will definitely let you know how the discs all around feel compared to the disc fronts and drum rears the Ghia had.
Thanks for the feedback
Ephry
P.S. Yes, sorry to hyjack yet another post
-My wife's Golf TDi has vented discs all around and l love te stoping on that car! virtually no fade during hard braking, and the rain doesn't seem to bother it at all.
-I like the fact that I don't have to adjust the discs at all.
-Easy to replace the pads (to me at least) than the shoes on drum brakes.
-If going over high waters, the brakes are still there.
-Sounds more cool when you say you have discs all around
I am going to start getting rid of all these extra parts I have, since I already purchased the CB disc setup. The research and knowing it's really cheap to get the Porsche brakes is definitely worth it, just need to get my own lathe or find a decent machine shop to do trimming.
I still want to make sure I get the roto hubs to set properly and at what torque reading to first bolt them down.
I will definitely let you know how the discs all around feel compared to the disc fronts and drum rears the Ghia had.
Thanks for the feedback
Ephry
P.S. Yes, sorry to hyjack yet another post
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
- raygreenwood
- Posts: 11914
- Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am
There are a handful of pads that do well. The original repco/metalmaster pads are great for thestreet. Stay away from the kevlar pads for street. They bank heat. They will not be hurt, but the rotor will. I also can post some part #'s for some excellent grades of pads. The metal content andmix of metal is key. Let me know if you have truble finding what you need, or I can hook you up with a guy at a brake jobber in Dallas thatworked for one of the major manufactureres at one point. He knows all of the friction codes by heart and can tell you what you need for what you want. Ray
- Ephry73
- Posts: 3369
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am
Now that would be great info even if just for refference.
Well, the Ghia has the stock 1972 ATE Calipers and pads now, and I have the car on jackstands as it is. The rear will get the Roto hub CB performance kit as soon as it arrives. Not sure what pads they use for them stock. i figure it would definitely be an improvement from the old, wore down non-adjusted drums(the adjusters were shot and could not get them to move at all at one point)
Part numbers for the front pads would be great, evene if just a refference.
Again, thanks for the info.
Ephry
Well, the Ghia has the stock 1972 ATE Calipers and pads now, and I have the car on jackstands as it is. The rear will get the Roto hub CB performance kit as soon as it arrives. Not sure what pads they use for them stock. i figure it would definitely be an improvement from the old, wore down non-adjusted drums(the adjusters were shot and could not get them to move at all at one point)
Part numbers for the front pads would be great, evene if just a refference.
Again, thanks for the info.
Ephry