VW Trike

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
VWLARRY72
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:08 am

VW Trike

Post by VWLARRY72 »

I am in the process of turning a wrecked '72 Super into a Trike. I've been cruising the web looking for ideas and came across this site, http://hometown.aol.com/eretzelectric/C ... trike.html, he has used rigid electrical conduit for the frame of his trike. Any thoughts on this, is it stong enough, will it last. Real curious as to what others think. Thanks.
fortyeye
Posts: 1351
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:49 pm

Post by fortyeye »

No ... No ... and NO ... BTW the link doesn't work

Dave
AKA clearsurf
letterman7
Posts: 484
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:17 pm

Post by letterman7 »

Echo on Dave....bad idea. For anything that is going to be on the street, it should be a heavy wall aluminum or steel (better) frame, TIG welded is best. Conduit is too thin, bends waayyy to easy, and rusts if you look at it.
If you go aluminum, use T6061 and TIG weld it. Just don't try to bend it too far.

Rick
VWLARRY72
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:08 am

Post by VWLARRY72 »

Sorry about the link, let's try it again. members.aol.com/eretzelectric/Charliestrike.html

Maybe it will work this time and thanks for the feedback.
letterman7
Posts: 484
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:17 pm

Post by letterman7 »

Hmmm...looks pretty. Let's see how it fairs under load and pulling that trailer. Welding galvanized isn't easy. The only problem I see thus far is possible electrolysis from all the dissimilar metals used. Hopefully it's primed and painted and grounded correctly. Who knows? This might be the new way to build bikes!
User avatar
JC-ATL
Posts: 1559
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:01 am

Post by JC-ATL »

Have you considered just mating an existing frame to the rear axle assembly? I've seen a million of 'em done that way, seems like it would be a very simple way to go, and hell, most cycle boneyards are just rotten with older frames, particularly Japanese cruiser and standard frames.
Gomer_pyle
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:48 am

off topic

Post by Gomer_pyle »

what does btw stand for?
fortyeye
Posts: 1351
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:49 pm

Post by fortyeye »

by the way
AKA clearsurf
User avatar
JC-ATL
Posts: 1559
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:01 am

Re: off topic

Post by JC-ATL »

Gomer_pyle wrote:what does btw stand for?
By The Way
Gomer_pyle
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:48 am

Post by Gomer_pyle »

ok i get it......thanks
Guest

Post by Guest »

Actually that is what I'm doing on this fist trike. I'm keeping the entire bug pan, cutting off the frame head and welding on the front of an '82 Honda CB900 Custom that I picked up from a salvage yard for $100. Plan to sell the good parts of the bike on Ebay and get my money back. Just go to Ebay and do a search for Honda CB900 and you'll get about 5 pages of parts. Seems to be a market. But like I said this is my first trike, want to do something different next time. But I do appreciate all the input. Didn't think conduit was the way to go. Thanks again and I'll post some pictures when it's done, most likely next spring. Just like this year, got pulled off the project to paint the house.......
Post Reply