Myth busted!

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
joel mohr
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:58 am

Post by joel mohr »

:D Thanks for the info!!!!! It's refreshing to see good honest testing....I made my own 36hp doghouse back in 1980 from 2 stock shrouds and it worked great! Keep up the good work!! :D :D :D
User avatar
vwfye
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sun May 21, 2000 12:01 am

Post by vwfye »

so, i wonder if a 'slash' shroud, with vanes in it would be the answer? it has a much lower 3/4 side volume. boy, wouldn't that be scarey! a chrome, slash, ROC built shroud whooping up on all the others.
Jeffs57
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Jeffs57 »

What brand of shroud was it. please tell me it was a scat
User avatar
57Drag
Posts: 499
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:01 am

Post by 57Drag »

Read the top of the graph :shock: .....Donald

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 9&start=90
User avatar
dstar5000
Posts: 4555
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 12:01 am

Post by dstar5000 »

57Drag wrote:Read the top of the graph :shock: .....Donald

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 9&start=90
BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

CHEATER!!
:lol:

Don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Ummn, Nope! thats the way I have them classified.... This was NOT, I repeat NOT and EMPI!!! It was not SCAT either!! I tried BOTH of them-

I have the spreadsheets classified as "empi" for aftermarket, OEM for stock systems and DTM for DTM systems to keep the comparisoons easier...

Cheaters lose!

I caklled the manufacture of the system I have and they no longer make them like this one. I told them I'd sell them my data for a good chunk of change! - I'm still testing it. I just added a 356 upper pulley and we are waiting to see what happens...

One BIG drawback is guess what- It draws 17 BHP to operate at a stock drive ratio... I'm doing 6K powerpulls after each test with and without the fan belt.... I knew it was using more energy from the engine when the EGT was 30 degrees higher than the other systems (engine is working harder to pull the fan and shows it in the EGT :-)
User avatar
DRD
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:01 am

Post by DRD »

Jake just made a 6 k dyno pull while I was on the phone with him.
Nothing like the bark a of HEALTHY DUAL CARBURATED VW ENGINE!
Wicked!!!
:twisted:
Last edited by DRD on Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Yep, that was a pull with no belt adn teh 36HP shroud.... should be here this sucker runs like a champ..
MNotary
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:01 am

Post by MNotary »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote: One BIG drawback is guess what- It draws 17 BHP to operate at a stock drive ratio... I'm doing 6K powerpulls after each test with and without the fan belt.... I knew it was using more energy from the engine when the EGT was 30 degrees higher than the other systems (engine is working harder to pull the fan and shows it in the EGT :-)
Head temps lower..EGT higher...ok But why would it pull more HP? More internal restrictions in the shroud? Same type fan (of course, I would assume) as the stock?
boredandstroked
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:03 am

Post by boredandstroked »

MNotary wrote:Head temps lower..EGT higher...ok But why would it pull more HP? More internal restrictions in the shroud? Same type fan (of course, I would assume) as the stock?

The more air a fan moves the more power it takes to run. Therefore LESS restriction in the shroud.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I feel that the 36HP shroud has less volume, and therefore the air pressure is greater inside it. This gives the air the ability to be diorected by the internal vanes even better. The next series of tests will be with pitot tubes installed in the shrouds to show which ones have more pressure- thats a couple of months away, but we'll use the same engine and retest the 3 best systems
MNotary
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:01 am

Post by MNotary »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:I feel that the 36HP shroud has less volume, and therefore the air pressure is greater inside it. This gives the air the ability to be diorected by the internal vanes even better. The next series of tests will be with pitot tubes installed in the shrouds to show which ones have more pressure- thats a couple of months away, but we'll use the same engine and retest the 3 best systems
I don't think it is the volume, it is the way it restricts the flow out... backs the flow up.. Once the volume is filled, no matter how much the volume, the pressure will stay the same.

bored.. I don't think so rpm is the same
MNotary
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:01 am

Post by MNotary »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:I feel that the 36HP shroud has less volume, and therefore the air pressure is greater inside it. This gives the air the ability to be diorected by the internal vanes even better. The next series of tests will be with pitot tubes installed in the shrouds to show which ones have more pressure- thats a couple of months away, but we'll use the same engine and retest the 3 best systems
I don't think it is the volume, it is the way it restricts the flow out... backs the flow up.. Once the volume is filled, no matter how much the volume, the pressure will stay the same.

bored.. I don't think so rpm is the same
Post Reply