short throw shift kit

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
User avatar
dickcharlton
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:49 pm

short throw shift kit

Post by dickcharlton »

Has anyone used one of those short throw shift kits before? I'm just wondering how they are on a bus? I've got one on my Baja and it's pretty sweet but a bus is totally different.
Everyone's opinion who has or used one would be great.
thanks,
Mark
LeeE
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2001 1:01 am

Post by LeeE »

If you mean the cheap shift kit with the riser and ball, I've used them on three buses so far. Doesn't seem to do a whole lot in a bus, the shifter will never be a light-switch anyway, but it keeps your knuckles a little farther away from the ashtray shifting into third.
On Type 1s and Ghias, they seems to work great. I always cut an inch or so off the shifter and re-threaded it, too, made an even shorter shift.
It also seems to negate the reverse lock-out, so be careful. Just remember the shift pattern on the ashtray is tilted for a reason, shift into second a little to the right.

LeeE
Kiwi_66
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:44 pm

Post by Kiwi_66 »

I've never used a shift kit, but have installed a Scat drag-fast shifter. They shorten up the shifting nicely, I would recommend one if you have the funds.
kevander
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:01 am

Short Throw Shifter

Post by kevander »

When I owned a '72 bus I installed the short throw shifter because I felt like I was reaching too far to shift comfortably. It was an easy install and my wife and I both liked the new feel. Not a big change, but one we liked.
germansupplyscott
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2001 12:01 am

Post by germansupplyscott »

the berg shifter is the only way to go in a bus. it makes shifing the bus a totally different thing. pricey, but if you drive your bus a lot, well worth it. incidentally, the berg shifter has a short shift plate built in to the base of the shifter.
Oil Phil-M
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:20 pm

Post by Oil Phil-M »

I added a 3 inch straight shifter extension along with the short shift kit. I'm rather tall and the combo made an affordable ergonomic improvement. 1/4 mile results dropped from 28.76 seconds to 28.75! :D
Pillow
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2001 1:01 am

Post by Pillow »

Berg shifter. There is nothing else that comes close in my experience.
71slammedstabbincabin
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:41 pm

Post by 71slammedstabbincabin »

go with the berg shifter. They are on 4 weeks back order so the sooner more people want them the sooner I can get mine!
Vanman_spud
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:01 am

Post by Vanman_spud »

I fitted one in my bus and it made the throw shorter front to back.

When it's in neutral and I put it into first I have to double check as I often don't beleive its in gear with such a short movement.

For the price you cant really complain if it doesn't make a major diference.

The fact that my shifter is sloppy doesn't help, I've changed the shift plate and all the bushes but it's still loose so I think either the bottom of the lever is worn or the bit it sits in.
biggraham
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:01 am

Post by biggraham »

I fitted one and reckon it's one of the best $5 I've ever spent on my bus, pretty much sorted out the "stirring porridge" feel!
User avatar
BluBus
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:46 pm

Post by BluBus »

I just installed mine and It does what it says. Very nice indeed.

One question does the fat side of the spacer go up or down?

The instructions were pitafull.

Thanks
Vanman_spud
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:01 am

Post by Vanman_spud »

Fat side down, the original shift plate slots into the recess but might need a little clearancing to fit snug.
User avatar
ricko70
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:06 pm

shifter

Post by ricko70 »

I have a Berg on my 70, I love it.
User avatar
BluBus
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:46 pm

Post by BluBus »

How much is the Berg Shifter?
User avatar
UnderscoreVW
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:01 am

Post by UnderscoreVW »

I would e-Mail Gene Berg ( [email protected]) or ( http://www.geneberg.com/ )
They have a couple to choose from...

______

GB 6748 60-65 bus shifter. Fits chassis number 835-008 through 216-028-111. Will not fit the older vehicles with a straight shift rod and smaller ball. Our ball is 21.50mm.

GB 6750 66-79 bus shifter. Fits chassis number 216-028-112 to the Vanagon.

GB 6750R 66-79 bus shifter. Fits chassis number 216-028-112 to the Vanagon. For right hand drive buses. We have bent this shifter the opposite way and installed our right hand drive handle.

GB 6751 Conversion kit to make GB 6750 or GB 6750R shifters work in a 1960-1965 bus from chassis number 835-008 through 216-028-111. This was developed for the right hand drive applications so we only needed to make one set of tooling. At some point we will discontinue the GB 6748, early shifter, as sales drop off and this provides a way for our late shifter to fit the earlier bus.
______

-Joe
Post Reply