GEX International Rip Off?

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
User avatar
ANT
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu May 24, 2001 12:01 am

Post by ANT »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Do it once.
Do it right.

Open the wallet once.
Or as the author of THE blue books would say:

"Cry once" :lol:

Right, Meester Jake? :wink:
-ANT
User avatar
vdubsinjensen
Posts: 790
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2001 12:01 am

Post by vdubsinjensen »

Welcome to the STF,and sorry to hear you got boned by GEX.Did you get the displeasure of talking to Otis,the warrantee guy at GEX? If I lived within driving distance of them,I would have been tossing junk cylinder heads and pistons(theirs) through their front windows.I went around with those &*#holes for over a month to get reimbursed for a warrantee on a customers motor.I kept a VERY accurate phone/mail record of my contact with them,and had to threaten them with legal action before I got any positive results from them.I've even tried to talk with the owner of the place,and that only got me numerous hang-ups (and laughed at)on the phone.Since then,I've tried to make sure no one else gets burned by them.Spread the word! Paul
User avatar
Kenny2428
Posts: 2830
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Kenny2428 »

There needs to be a way that we can get the word out to people that GEX engines SUCK! Not just on the forums...but everywhere...wherever VW parts are sold!
User avatar
ANT
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu May 24, 2001 12:01 am

Post by ANT »

Kenny2428 wrote:There needs to be a way that we can get the word out to people that GEX engines SUCK! Not just on the forums...but everywhere...wherever VW parts are sold!
I agree, but you leave yourself wide open for legal action. Libel and slander.....but then again, their rep is so bad that they may very well keep their mouths shut lest they bring more attention and bad publicity upon themselves.
-ANT
User avatar
getsmarx
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:01 am

Post by getsmarx »

I used to work at a VW shop in Orange County. Back then (about 10 years ago), we sold GEX engines and had very few problems.

I only remember 2 engines coming back to us. One had a hairline crack in the case near the oil cooler. The other one suffered head damage because someone had dropped a bolt down one of the intakes. I think the guy that installed it did that since he has sort of an idiot and should not have been working on or near his car.

Anyway, it seems that the quality of GEX has taken a serious nosedive. Ever since I got online about 5 years ago, I have never seen anything positive written about GEX.

Charles 8)
Stroker 40 horse
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:27 am

Post by Stroker 40 horse »

ANT wrote:
Kenny2428 wrote:There needs to be a way that we can get the word out to people that GEX engines SUCK! Not just on the forums...but everywhere...wherever VW parts are sold!
I agree, but you leave yourself wide open for legal action. Libel and slander.....but then again, their rep is so bad that they may very well keep their mouths shut lest they bring more attention and bad publicity upon themselves.
-ANT
:arrow: When DIRT BIKE Magazine tests a product they hate, they say so, and then are not sued :)
User avatar
green65bug
Posts: 980
Joined: Sun May 25, 2003 10:51 pm

Post by green65bug »

A buddy of mine bought a 1776 turn key from them one time and after around 2 or 3 thousand miles it started throwing oil real bad around the crank pully. Too much endplay. He could'nt get anywhere with the service people so he gave up. I got that same engine in the corner of my garage. I got it off of him for almost nothing. Im probably going to try and rebuild it soon, mainly because Ive never rebuilt an engine. Sorry that happened to you, sh1t like that gives the VW after market and performance industry a bad name and rep. I bought a turn key from Fisher Buggies about a year and a half ago, a 1600cc dual port. Shortly after I got it I started to have problems with it. To make a long story short I sent that one back and they sent me another one. I had to actually talk to Ken Fisher before that happened but they worked with me. Ive got around 13 to 14 thousand on this one so fare. I hope you told them to go to h3ll, ovcourse after you knew you was'nt get'n anywhere with them.
User avatar
Glenn
Posts: 5108
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Glenn »

Maybe HVW and VWT should think about accepting ads from them.

Without those print ads, they'de probibly be out of business within a year.
User avatar
John Kelly
Posts: 664
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2001 12:01 am

Post by John Kelly »

Glenn,

Now you are talking! I would take it further and blame the magazines for taking the money from pirates who deceive their customers over and over again. I have not bought one of those rags in years. I'm sure I miss a few things, but that's OK with me. One of the online kit car editors (Curt ....?) wrote a very nice article about ripoffs in the kit car industry and how they keep getting away with it because the magazines rake in those dollars. Plenty of drug dealers have more decency as far as I'm concerned.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
User avatar
71_vw
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:26 pm

Post by 71_vw »

ErikTheRed wrote:Well dude, if it makes ya feel any better, your situation could be alot worse--- you coulda ordered from MOFOCO!
Ive been there. It only took me 4 months to get my heads back and they still never got machined.
VWGirl
Posts: 895
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:01 am

Post by VWGirl »

are the engines stamped anywhere that they are from GEX? My 74 autostick came with a rebuilt engine... dunno who rebuilt it... but it runs great... I have never (to my knowledge) had a GEX engine... just curious... The 1600 I am running on now is factory rebuilt and I have no complaints!

BTW the only acvw engines (that i know of) that Autozone sells are GEX... I informed everyone I worked with there NOT to sell those engines... and one of the guys i worked with had wanted one for a dune buggy... this is how i learned they sold them!
User avatar
theo_m24
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:46 pm

Post by theo_m24 »

green65bug wrote:I bought a turn key from Fisher Buggies about a year and a half ago, a 1600cc dual port. Shortly after I got it I started to have problems with it. To make a long story short I sent that one back and they sent me another one. I had to actually talk to Ken Fisher before that happened but they worked with me.
That?s the difference between a good company and a bad company. :D :D

You had problems and can you actually talk someone, Even better the owner "Ken Fisher"
, And they worked with you to resolve the problem.


THAT IS THE WAY IS SHOULD WORK FOR ANY REPUTIBLE BUSINESS


Fishers have been super helpful to me and friends.....


IF GEX has got a super bad reading on the BBB report... Why the hell do the magazines still let them advertise???... I know its Ca$h, Still doesn't make sense...
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Its really simple......Tey pay big money for those ads. Guys like me that don't advertise (don't need to) cannot get the time of day for the release of a revolutionary product...
User avatar
Glenn
Posts: 5108
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Glenn »

VWGirl wrote:are the engines stamped anywhere that they are from GEX?
All the GEX engines i've seen have a GEX sticker on the back of the engine flange. That's the engine side right in front of the fan shroud.. If it's not there, it could of fallen off.
User avatar
ErikTheRed
Posts: 1815
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:01 am

Post by ErikTheRed »

ANT wrote:I agree, but you leave yourself wide open for legal action. Libel and slander.....-ANT
Aww come on, Ant!! Libel? Slander? Good grief. Its like this-- if you get completely and utterly BUTT-RAPED by some jerk-off company, and they do NOTHING to make it right, and then turn around and hammer the next poor schmuck, LIBEL AND SLANDER AWAY!!!! All you fellas in here badmouthing GEX have obviously not done business with MOFOCO. These clowns are the biggest batch of hose-hounds ever to open public doors, yet they continue to line their pockets with scum money thanks to cleverly deceptive advertising. Im willing to lay odds that GEX may be tailing a close second, and should also be shackled and tossed out on their collective a$$es next time they go to renew their ad with the Big Two. I realize the magazines rely on advertisers for their livelyhood, but at some point they have to draw a line in the sand and have SOME accountability for supporting these con artists. Yep, GEX pays out the big bucks to afford that fancy full color page-- and they pay for it by taking you to the cleaners. In reality, I think we can safely assume the mags are not going to refuse business from the knuckleheads, its too valuable for them. So, its up to us-- out here, in these forums and chat rooms-- to try our best to inform the masses of the despicable business practices and shoddy workmanship these inept bafoons provide. Sooner or later its going to leapfrog em, they wont be able to afford the ads, and the next step is bankruptcy. Dont listen to all the rediculous jargon about 'slander and libel' and whatnot-- its damn near impossible to make something like that stick-- especially when they know damn good and well all the accusations are true and supported by factual circumstances.

To any company or individual to whom I have ever given a negative report, and think you may have just cause and legal authority to claim "libel or slander", I propose to you this challenge:

BRING IT ON!!!!!

(of course, since Im not in the habit of bashing and shooting my mouth at every Tom, Dick, and Harry, this challenge is focused on a very elite few.)
Post Reply