Adapter Plates, Who uses them?

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Flipper
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:01 am

Adapter Plates, Who uses them?

Post by Flipper »

I have a set on the rear of my rail and somehow sheared off the drivers side Sunday afternoon riding around. Wasn't hot rodding it because I had my son in the car with me. How often does this occur, as I have been told that this happens alot with adapters?

Thanks

Flipper
User avatar
getsmarx
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:01 am

Post by getsmarx »

Wheel adapters?
Flipper
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:01 am

Post by Flipper »

Yeah I have wheel adapters to be able to use Chevy wheels. [/quote]
Stock93
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:01 am

Post by Stock93 »

Didnt I tell you not to use those :) If your like me, I break wheels so I can imagine what I would do to adapters...

John
Stock93
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:01 am

Post by Stock93 »

BTW, I have some hubs and discs drilled for a chevy full sized pattern(I think) with some trailing arms with mounts for the caliper and calipers if you are interested.

John
GDRBO
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:01 am

Post by GDRBO »

Wheel adapters are a disaster lurking!
type34sunroof
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:01 am

Post by type34sunroof »

Quality adapters/spacers should work fine. The Porsche people use them alot to put late wheels on early cars. Problem is the ones sold off the shelf for around $40 a pair for V-dubs don't even belong in a cracker jack box, much less on your car. A good set is gonna cost alot more than just using the correct pattern wheel or drilling your drums/hubs to the correct pattern. Better SAFE then sorry.Right?
User avatar
prerunner1499
Posts: 871
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:01 am

Post by prerunner1499 »

I bought mine from wolfgang out of hot vdubs. 69.95 a set, 5/112- 5/205
they are 1/2 " thick steel. They came in 3 days. I drilled them and pressed studs in. I really doubt they will ever break, as these things are buff stuff.
The ones I see and hear of braking are those cheap a$$ pot metal cast jobbies. Man ,,, a good fart across those and they will crack. :lol:
GDRBO
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:01 am

Post by GDRBO »

I forgot the adapters like kevin (and I) have are the only ones I know of that are not disasters lurking.
User avatar
usabug
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:01 am

Post by usabug »

I agree,

I have had nothing but problems with them. They were fine in the old days, before you could have wheels or drum made with the correct bolt patterns. I would ditch them and get a rim for VW pattern, or drum reworked with alternate pattern.

Dean
Flipper
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:01 am

Post by Flipper »

These plates are about 1/2" thick and are solid steel. The regular stub bolts that fit the wide 5 are 12mm stub bolts and aren't long enough. Think this is the main problem that I have.
GDRBO
Posts: 2574
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:01 am

Post by GDRBO »

That is quite likly your problem longer lug bolts or better yet studs would be the solution. Or if the threads are stripped or boogered you can drill and tap for the later 14mm lug bolts.
Post Reply