MadMike's 'Casper' 76 bug

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
madmike

Re: MadMike's 'Casper' 76 bug

Post by madmike »

Yes it's 'Dry Friction' springs & things :lol:
Yepper, Lake effect,, so glad we don't get 4 foot now days
buguy

Post by buguy »

I had to look up lake effect. Had never heard of that before!
madmike

Post by madmike »

:lol: Yea it's only up here in the Frozen North,, Today we had 51* so much is melted :wink:
madmike

Post by madmike »

"Casper" is all tucked in , this is how I store Him, in the corner of the Garage sideways ,PITA with a floor jack , waiting on 'coasters' from a friend will make it Easy,,,er :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I have floor jacks sitting on coasters (I made adapter mounts) and it makes life so much easier. The reason for floor jacks is setting the buggy flat but... care must be taken when moving it around. Just the coasters is a good idea in itself as it makes things movable, but tires do loose air when just sitting there too.

Lee
madmike

Post by madmike »

Picked this up from Ireland, thought it would be cool to Crank Start the Turbo Bug at the car shows :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John S.

Post by John S. »

You should keep 911 on speed dial. Lol
madmike

Post by madmike »

I don't own a cell phone :shock: :roll: Plus it's only 8 to 1 Compression and starts easy, two pumps of throttle and it fires right up :lol:
madmike

Post by madmike »

I have a Newish Shifter coming ,seem I had the wrong one in my bug since I built it,use to hit my el-bow on the darn e-bake handle or something only when i raced,
Cheers,Mike
Kafer_Mike

Post by Kafer_Mike »

Yeah. Looks like a Scat Dragfast angle shifter for '67 and earlier. The shifter mount on the tunnel was further forward on those earlier Beetles. Did you find another Dragfast -- or changing it up?
"Build 'em fast...or let 'em sit"
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

There are other options you might want to look into such as a bus shifter.
IMG_0127 (1).JPG
This shows both the bug and the bus shifter. The bus shifter has a longer connection to the shift rod than the bug shifter does so an adapter is needed and available.

I think there are also a couple of longer arm stock shifters available also but the last time I checked it was a long time ago.
IMG_0127 (1).JPG
Since I am running an 091 trans which requires the shift rod to be on top of the trans I had to make my own adapter but... I got the look I wanted (an old hot rod shifter look).

It does put the shifer knob pretty high up... if that is the look you might want.

For what it is worth...

Lee
madmike

Post by madmike »

Lee u crack me up sometimes, I aint gonna put a bus shifter in my Drag bug,, :roll: :lol:
Yea,Kafer mike, it's a early shifter I had in my 58 tub buggy,I didn't think about the difference when I slapped it in the bug back in 2015 :lol:
I found one in AZ ,it's on it's way here :wink: Thanks,Cheers & Merry Christmas Everyone :D
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Mike, you missed my point. I was trying to show that there might be other options or ways of doing things.

I was "deck shifting" (aka "Bang shifting") back in the mid to late 60s so I do have a clue on that. :roll:

I have two straight post shifters (I took pix of them but can't download them for some reason, I think the battery in the camera was in need of recharging which is now going on). One of them is an older Hurst shifter but this one has the longer shifter post in it (was in an older dune buggy) and the other one is a shorter post SCAT unit. The Hurst unit's bushing is tired, and I don't know if there are replacements for it.

The other one is a SCAT shifter with a Hurst tyle of shifter knob, it stands roughly 11 3/4" high (off the bottom of the mount pad to the top of it's racing style of Hurst style of shift knob). The post again is straight up and down with a Tee shaped reverse lockout.

Lee
madmike

Post by madmike »

Yea,,Lee luv to see some photos of the shifters, I'll get mine all together too and get a Pic :wink: ,may take a few days ? We'er Having a "Blizzard" Right now and I don't mean the Dairy Queen ones :lol: I'm suprized I'm not on Battery power, cuz of the winds take out the Grid :roll:
Cheers,& Merry Christmas
Mike
madmike

Post by madmike »

My small collection,looking at the old Hurst I remember It's needs some TLC :lol: