shock installation, loose upper bushing

Discuss with fans and owners of the most luxurious aircooled sedan/wagon that VW ever made, the VW 411/412. Official forum of Tom's Type 4 Corner.
steve_1125

shock installation, loose upper bushing

Post by steve_1125 »

Hello, my new shop found why the front left side was clanging. I had new bilstein shock installed but the last shop said he was not able to get a replacement shock upper bushing to secure it. If you watch the video, the passenger side is secured, the other side not and it makes a very annoying clanging over bumps

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Bpb-AG85Soc

Is there any interchangeability with other cars? One enthusiast thought the Porsche 912 shock upper bushing may work. Thanks.
steve_1125

Re: shock installation, loose upper bushing

Post by steve_1125 »

Strut Mount P/N 133412345 worked!
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

steve_1125 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:06 pm Strut Mount P/N 133412345 worked!
Excellent!

By the way, what is the gap between the dish shaped metal plate that is under the large nut and rim of the strut mount? That needs to be correct or the rubber donut bushing will eventually get beat up and squished down...opening up the gap and starting the process over.

Keep an eye on it!
Ray
Trey

Post by Trey »

Hello ! I'm glad to hear that you were able to identify the problem with your car's suspension. As far as replacing the upper shock bushing, it may help to consult a mechanic or do some research to see if there are compatible parts from other cars. Additionally, you can try contacting the shock manufacturer to see if they have any recommendations. On a related note, it's worth mentioning that advances in artificial intelligence have made it easier for mechanics and engineers to design and test various automotive parts, including suspension components. This website is a great example of AI. With the help of AI, we can continue to improve the performance and durability of automotive components, providing better driving experiences for everyone.