Roll call

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Roll call

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Welcome to the site John. You are never too young or too old to learn how to do things. There is a lot of knowledge spread around here so here's hoping that someone here can help you with you prospective plans.

Posting is easy and attaching pix is pretty easy. Edit the pix to something under 1000 (I usually edit down to 640 X 480), then page down to "Attachments". click on it, then go to "add files, click on it to attach the pix then put it where you want it here (its obvious I think :wink: ) then start to have fun.

Lee
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Yes! Welcome! By all means start a thread and show us your car!

Max
bug oil drip

Post by bug oil drip »

Hi have been a vw freak for many years finaly realy getting a type 4 i want to build a 2270 from a 1.7 bus case and 1.7 bus heads. my name is john [email protected] i live in northport FL 34286 any help on this build would be a big help to me ive been a mechanic for 55 years retired now thanks
Mighty Ferengi

Post by Mighty Ferengi »

Greetings from Texas!

My name is Matthew and I just purchased my first Porsche, a 1975 914. The car was almost completely disassembled, but was garage kept for many years from the looks of it. Very little rust, the pans are in fantastic shape! No major dents or dings, though the car has been painted red over the factory Metallic Copper. Also, it appears the original engine was swapped out for a 1974 1.8L.

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the old air-cooled VWs. As a kid, one of my friends had a foster father who rebuilt old Mercedes-Benz diesels and VWs. He had a 1971 Karmann Ghia that he had completely rebuilt himself; bright yellow with white leather interior. I watched and occasionally helped him rebuild Beetles and Ghias.

Later, when I learned that some of the older Porsches were using VW style air-cooled engines, I was intrigued. And when I learned about the 914, I knew I had to get one. I am a big fan of Targa top vehicles. Having just finished up a 1997 Honda del Sol, I felt it was time to try a classic car. I found a great deal on a mostly disassembled 914 in great shape. Now it's time to do the research and figure out what I want to do to this old girl!

The car came with a 1974 1.8L engine that looks like it has seen better days. I plan to make this a daily driver, but I want something with legs. I'll be scouring the 'net and this forum for information and ideas to get this engine rebuilt and get this car back on the road!
Matthew C.
Texas
1975 Porsche 914 1.8L
1997 Honda del Sol
2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder
woodsbuggy1

Post by woodsbuggy1 »

Welcome Matthew, sounds like you found the potential for a very nice car. You might want to spend some time in the forced induction forum, boost is very addictive :twisted: . Please start a thread so we can see pics of your new car and follow along with the build.
Good Luck
Kenric
Good quality is getting harder and harder to find.
Timas

Post by Timas »

Hey everyone, Timas from California here.
I was previously posting on another section of the STF.
Piledriver suggested I come over to this forum so here I am

Background for everyone.

I live on the central coast ( northern part of slo county) and as a result I have nothing but hill climbs to get anywhere we want to go.

1977 type 2b
Hydraulic lifters
Factory l jet.

Swapped block for what was supposed to have been a 78 long block.

I ran into my crank eventually having oil coming out of the crank bolt which had sheared off in the nose cone and low compression issues.

Pulled motor and am close to full tear down. Once I have a little more space to work. 😁

Anyway, as with most things the deeper you dive the more you find.

So all that leads to this.

I apparently have 90.5?? mm pistons, and a broke valve boss with a nice crack on the other side