What battery are you running ?

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
panel

What battery are you running ?

Post by panel »

Hey guys. Just curious what kind of battery are you all running? Might as well give all the specs like CA and CCA's etc. Mines nothing special just a generic one. 950CA and 800CCA.
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Totoob

Re: What battery are you running ?

Post by Totoob »

I made my own Lithium battery. I found this superlight lithium (LiFePo4) racing battery made by a german company called Liteblox:

Liteblox LB20XX Battery

It weighs less than 2kgs (4,5lbs), 12,5Ah capacity and has the equivalent of peak 750cca. But it costs 1250 EUR (1400 USD), so that was out of the question. I found that they use a 4s5p configuration of LithiumWerks ANR26650 cells, so i found a supplier of cell packs on ebay that sold the same cells and had them build me a pack in the configuration that i wanted, and then designed a case and started 3d printing and machining. The hardest component to source was the BMS, the problem is the high continuous charging current from the alternator, most battery management systems are not designed for high charge current, but eventually i found one that was suitable to use in a car.

The battery is now completed and charged and seems to function properly, i have not yet tested it in the car as the car is in 1 million pieces at the moment, but the smart charger is indicating that all cells balance fine and that there are no issues, we´ll see how it works once it is charged by the alternator.

Final cost of my battery was around 250 USD, and ended up weighing 2,3kg (5lbs)

Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Totoob wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:57 am I made my own Lithium battery.
You win. :)

Max
Totoob

Post by Totoob »

Haha thanks, not saying this is for everyone, but i wanted to show that it can be done. Granted i have a 3d printer, a mill and a lathe, and i put in quite a few hours, so for the majority i guess buying a battery would make more sense. For me, making things is my hobby/passion so i am not concerned with the time spent.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

OK, I'm impressed. Pretty good for DIY!
madmike

Post by madmike »

small cheapass wallyworld battery in my turbo bug :wink: