Dry Sump Secrets

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
WickedWagens

Re: Dry Sump Secrets

Post by WickedWagens »

turbobaja wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:09 amAnother good idea is to open up the Pressure pump inlet fitting from -8 AN to -10 AN. With the "small" 21mm pressure stage being fed easily from a large line and gravity from the tank, it can easily supply what the engine needs.
Does anyone off hand have the fitting thread for this pump so I can order the -10 fitting to replace the -8?

also, Do you change any of the factory oil pressure springs or any other modifications. If you remove the factory oil cooler would you want to change the oil pressure relief or the bypass?
1968 Karmann Ghia land speed
G/CFALT 106.643 MPH G/CGALT 113.131 MPH
G/CBGALT 169.462 MPH G/CBFALT 146.715 MPH
G/CBGC 158.242 MPH H/CBGC 94.334 MPH
H/CPRO 93.383 MPH H/CBFALT 101.282 MPH
H/CBGALT 120.591 MPH
Top Speed 174.2 MPH
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

I'm pretty sure the -10 fitting I used for the pump inlet had 3/4" NPT threads on the other end. The pump body uses a straight thread, o-ring sealed fitting as-shipped. I had to open up the threaded hole a bit and then tap the 3/4" NPT threads into the pump inlet to install the -10 fitting. This way, the inside diameter of the -10 fitting was larger all the way through vs. one made to thread into the pump. No changes to the stock oil control springs/plungers is needed, even if you delete the oil cooler inside the shroud, as long as the block off plate has a path for the oil to pass through.
Karl

DON'T QUIT
chickensoup

Post by chickensoup »

ok dumb question but i want to run a 2 stage dry sump system in this 2180 im building. so i can add oil squirters to the heads although the hoover mods will probably be enough. The question is, can i add a oil filter both after the pump(using a dog house cooler), and then another before the pump, to protect the pump itself? or is it a waste? will it affect oil pressure or cause oil drain back after the engine is cold?

Also, is it possible to add oil squirters to the cylinders to help lube/cool the underside of the pistons? or will the pistons make contact. engine will be a few mm's narrower than stock, between the 5.4in rods, and toyota pistons with 29mm cr height.

Thanks!
Ian Godfrey

Post by Ian Godfrey »

Some thoughts for you. usually there is no filter on the inlet side of the pressure pump, you want no restriction here.
re the squirters, I did piston Porsche squirters drilled into the bearing webs using the 'Gears' method from here: www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116915
I also eyeballed the angle and it worked fine.
I can't comment on squirters in the heads but a few have done it ( I can't find a good link for you)
bug66

Post by bug66 »

CB pump;

Can you plug it and use the 26mm gear for pressure, and 21mm gear for scavenging for example a turbo?

I've seen the youtube tutorial, but my turbo is above the torsion bars, would the 21mm gears provide enough suction?
---

2165cc on a Borg Warner S257 SXE, DTA S60 on E85.

Boost was created only to make people smile, and make power! 8)

10.626 @ 132mph SCC2016
10.407 @ 134mph SCC2017
10.221 @ 135mph SCC2018
chickensoup

Post by chickensoup »

bug66 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:29 am CB pump;

Can you plug it and use the 26mm gear for pressure, and 21mm gear for scavenging for example a turbo?

I've seen the youtube tutorial, but my turbo is above the torsion bars, would the 21mm gears provide enough suction?
turbos need very little oil. otherwise you blow out the seals. so i think the gear size would be more than enough. However, im not familiar with the CB pump but it is catching my interest. im looking into it now! thanks
chickensoup

Post by chickensoup »

Ian Godfrey wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:02 pm Some thoughts for you. usually there is no filter on the inlet side of the pressure pump, you want no restriction here.
re the squirters, I did piston Porsche squirters drilled into the bearing webs using the 'Gears' method from here: www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116915
I also eyeballed the angle and it worked fine.
I can't comment on squirters in the heads but a few have done it ( I can't find a good link for you)
Thanks for the info! Now i see how porsche added the squirters in the main web, facing the bottom of the piston. Image

I looked into the CB dry sump pump they sell, and it seems alot of people have had really good results with the system. and the price is great too! my question: how would i go about plumbing the oil squirters? ive never done something like this but i do have the tools.

Thanks again!
Aiden
bug66

Post by bug66 »

chickensoup wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:47 am
bug66 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:29 am CB pump;

turbos need very little oil. otherwise you blow out the seals. so i think the gear size would be more than enough. However, im not familiar with the CB pump but it is catching my interest. im looking into it now! thanks
Thsi is the tutorial.

Given the small amount of oil, will the pump just turn in air and not start the suction perhaps? :?:
---

2165cc on a Borg Warner S257 SXE, DTA S60 on E85.

Boost was created only to make people smile, and make power! 8)

10.626 @ 132mph SCC2016
10.407 @ 134mph SCC2017
10.221 @ 135mph SCC2018
Ian Godfrey

Post by Ian Godfrey »

The oil squirter in the web picks up its oil from the groove in the back of the main bearing. You just need to line up the hole you drill carefully so it meets the bearing groove on one side of the web and points to the piston on the other side of the web.
chickensoup

Post by chickensoup »

awesome!! thanks for the help sir! that makes life soooo much easier doing it that way. I'm thinking about using the Porsche squirters.

Take care!
Aiden