Mid engine fun

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
DeathBySnuSnu

Re: Mid engine fun

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

Well ...... yes.
That pic example is a truss down each side.
And like said....I have ball joint front, drop spindles disc brakes.
Again the pan is gone.....cut to pieces on top of that.
It is possible I could use the head and napoleon hat if the pedals remain bottom swung.

I imagine the chassis as a whole functioning vehicle.
The body (with lights) is a bolt on
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

I got all the urethane bushings in and both arms with plates on.
The camber is not off as badly as first thought. The right side is in spec. But the left side is an extra degree negative.

I typed the upside down arm but it is way too much positive.
So I have to bend at least one arm. But at least I know more now.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Deleted. Immaterial information.
Last edited by Ol'fogasaurus on Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

The 901 I have located (waiting on covid to be over) is a side shifter. Not tail shift like a beetle.
You could ( with lots of mods) put a tail shift on a vw pan.

As I do not have a pan......I will not be shortening one.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

DeathBySnuSnu wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:38 pm The 901 I have located (waiting on covid to be over) is a side shifter. Not tail shift like a beetle.
You could ( with lots of mods) put a tail shift on a vw pan.

As I do not have a pan......I will not be shortening one.
The ones I saw only had the tail shaft.

Lee
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

901 side shifter.
914+Trans+21296280038.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Thnx! What is the round doodie sticking out the rear? Just looked it up: https://356-5speed.com/technical-detail ... ion-choice the bottom one referred to in this URL as the 914. Very interesting!

Lee
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

The side shift has some bosses and a reverse light switch sticking out.
But not the hockey stick stem.

And yes......the bottom one.....the last generation of the 901.
The one from a 914 is the one I would need. In general it can handle 200hp.
But.
1st is weak........no drag slicks.......no big clutch dumps.
If you feel you must do a clutch dump burnout ......then do it in second gear and leave first out of play time.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Keep in mind - while the core 914 trans may be relatively cheap to pick up, the parts to rebuild it are Porsche $$$! I'd seriously look into a Suby 5-speed and adapting it. Compare overall cost. The "newest" 914 trans is over 40 years old and will definitely need going through. A WRX trans handles over 200hp stock. Even a Boxter 5-speed would be an option for sub-300hp mid-engine application.
Jeff
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

Yep.
I have added up several different scenarios.
The 914 trans came out less than using a vw trans that I already own and have most of the big parts for.
The cost of the subie trans initially looks good but once you add in the conversion axles and cv joints it goes over.
I did not add up a boxter trans. The only one I found cost a lot and put it out of the running without adding any of the extra items needed.

As long as the big parts are not blown out of the 901 and all I hafta do is some bearing, syncros and seals plus the fact that I intend no gear ratio changes.

One other thing......I have to do all my own work. There is no Porsche shop and the closest vw shop is hundreds of miles away. So labor cost is not included in any add up.

Do you know of a reasonable source for a subie trans? I am not opposed to one at all. I have looked and considered it already......and would certainly entertain the idea again.....especially as I like the gear ratios better than what I have found.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

I'd probably look into a JDM distributor where I could see/pick-up the trans in person. A crap shoot, but otherwise you're looking at Car Part or ebay? Yes, the mid-engine conversion parts run a bit of $$, until you start pricing 914 trans parts: just the tools - syncro hub removal and fork jig tools are about $250. Then add in 1st/rev shift sleeve $400+, a couple of sliders, gear teeth, syncro rings (all over $100 ea) and any bearings @ $250+ ea, those suby conversion parts start looking like a bargain!
For Suby - also you'll need to come up with a shifter & cables for mid-engine, so that's an added expense. The Boxter 5 speed already comes set-up for cable shift plus output stubs (not sure of the CV size?) - and the 5-speeds are considered "weaker" so much more affordable than a 6-speed.
I've got about $1K tied up in my 914 trans (got off easy on the rebuild) and built my chassis & exhaust around it - but if "anything" isn't right with it when I start running it I'll be converting directly to a Suby trans. despite a huge amount of work involved to make the switch (in my case).
Jeff
maurice

Post by maurice »

I’ve got a mid engine bug with a full Subaru drivetrain.

You can grab any Subaru 5 speed from either a junk yard, or if you want the beefier 1/2 gears, a wrx (mid 03 onward). The subarugears Guy makes the flanges and locking spool, but he’s a massive dick if you ever have to deal with him. You can make the spool yourself if you have a welder.

The wrx’s come with a pretty long ring and pinion, and long 5th gear. I swapped mine for a junk yard 4.11 and a shorter 5th (NA cars have nice gearing). All internal parts swap over, just the clutch and slave cylinder were different for a couple years on the turbo models.

The 6 speed sti tranny is also an option, I have one ready to go for my car. They’re 75 lbs heavier than the 5 speed and massively overbuilt. Unless you’re making solid power, they’re overkill.

Lemme know if you have any questions on a Subaru tranny swap.
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

Thanks guys.
I have been reassessing the transmission thoughts.
And again I do like the subie gear ratios better.

I have located an appropriate one. Is it worth double the initial cost and 8 hour drive each way and the cost of conversion axles all for the service cost savings over the old Porsche trans?
One other thing to put into it is that I will have to do all my own service work for either one. In excess of 8 hour drive each way to any shop capable of any type of internal trans work to either. But with a subie there would be a shop capable of a replacement (not a repair) if you are willing to trust them.

Maybe I should just build a vw trans. Of course I do not have any special tooling for them either.....but have never needed any of it anyway. It is a long arduous task to do without all the official vw fixtures and tools.....but if you only have one to do it is do-able make shift.....no problem at all....just could not make money with the amount of time involved.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

That's the $64K question snusnu. Only other consideration is the Suby will have modern (asian) shifter "feel" - that is snick-snick into gears and slick shifting, while the older P & VW boxes have a "clunkier" feel and slower shifting. You pays 'yo money and takes 'yo chances!
Jeff
maurice

Post by maurice »

Once you’ve paid for all the Subaru parts, you can keep flogging trannies and swapping them out for super cheap. It also leaves the option open for swapping a Subaru engine later if you wanted. The Subaru trannies are pretty easy to rebuild and swap internals out too.

But that’s up to you if you want to spend that initial cost on it... can you get one shipped to you?