What flywheel to use...

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
User avatar
ps2375
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:04 am

What flywheel to use...

Post by ps2375 »

OK, here's the deal. I am getting my dad's Bug back on the road and I have 3 flywheels to pick from. The one that was on it, a 10#, another that is about 12-13# and a stocker at 17#. The 10#'er looks to be indexed, has 8 dowel pins and is balanced to the crank. The 13#'er has index marks and looks to have been balanced at one time, but I'll have to ask may dad if it was balanced to the current crank. And the stocker, is well, stock. If I use that one, I'll def need to get it balanced and drilled for the extra dowel pins(which my dad passed on the jig and ream for).

I know the 10# wheel will be the quickest rev'ing one, but this car will be mainly street driven with the occasional auto-x and some mountain roads thrown in there. I'm just wondering if the heavier ones will make life any better when in town or for the longevity of motor. As for the motor, it is an 82X90, Okrasa crank w/ Carrillo rods and dual 44IDF's. It was built (by my dad) to run hard and fast, and that is the way he drove it up until he parked it nearly 2 decades ago. I have the case apart and everything (bearings) look great and he tells me there is about 50K miles on motor, so right now no machining is planned.

Oh, and the clutch setup looks to be fairly stock(200mm size) with a un-sprung disc. I'll prolly stick with something like that and it has a '72 or '73 transaxle in it.

What do ya think?
Last edited by ps2375 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ps2375
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:04 am

Re: What flywheel to use...

Post by ps2375 »

I have decided to stick with the 10# flywheel. Being that it is a street car and not a Baja, it doesn't have super tall tires and momentum/stalling the motor is not an issue. I'll take a quick accelerating car any day. I'll just have to get used a slightly touchy clutch pedal, which won't be too bad, as I won't be using a clutch disc with puks.
User avatar
dunegoon
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2001 12:01 am

Re: What flywheel to use...

Post by dunegoon »

No complaints with the choice. 10# or 12#. Rev limiters are nice, even the simple rotor-type is good enough.
User avatar
ps2375
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:04 am

Re: What flywheel to use...

Post by ps2375 »

It has an GM HEI dist, which will be getting the MSD control board that has a built-in adjustable rev limiter.
User avatar
ps2375
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:04 am

Re: What flywheel to use...

Post by ps2375 »

Yes, Santa came thru. Now to figure out how to wire it so the limiter can be set from the driver's seat, easily. Already have ideas on that.
Post Reply