MoFoCo 050 Heads.
-
helowrench
- Posts: 1925
- Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:20 am
Re: MoFoCo 050 Heads.
Sounds good Roy. We look forward to the results.
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
Re: MoFoCo 050 Heads.
I had a sarcastic comment but I'll defer it in the chance that he finds something to completely void 100+ years of IC engine design, from Ricardo onward.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
-
Steve Arndt
- Posts: 7420
- Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2001 12:01 am
Re: MoFoCo 050 Heads.
Same with Pyle, momma said keep trap shut. I have direct experience with the other Mfco casting and the fin blockage from casting flash is comical...
The latest claim on samba is the blocked air flow passages through the heatsink from casting flash (in the industry we call that "fin fouling") doesn't change the head temps.
Can't wait to see the "numbers".
The latest claim on samba is the blocked air flow passages through the heatsink from casting flash (in the industry we call that "fin fouling") doesn't change the head temps.
Can't wait to see the "numbers".
Steve
My Baja Build
My Baja Build
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
Re: MoFoCo 050 Heads.
A variable speed sawzall with a demolition blade works pretty laying flash flat on the outer fins.
...Even some German heads had this issue, last i mentioned that some very bright folks also said it made no difference... which defied logic.
When you can feel much more airflow with your hand it's probably cooling better IMHO.
I figured everyone did that.
...Even some German heads had this issue, last i mentioned that some very bright folks also said it made no difference... which defied logic.
When you can feel much more airflow with your hand it's probably cooling better IMHO.
I figured everyone did that.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
- stevepugh
- Posts: 144
- Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:28 am
Re: MoFoCo 050 Heads.
I thought I'd put up and update.
I decided to have the step removed completely and have the Combustion Chambers laid back to unshroud the Valves. They are very shrouded, probably due to the fact they come as standard for 85.5mm and then opened to 94mm with no any extra work done to glean the best out of the larger Bore.
The heads measured 56cc with the step and with the work done we could only get them to 50cc. They were polished after the grinding out was done, and we figure that we may have gained nearly another 0.5mm if we were lucky but are working on the basis that it's just 50cc.
So I'm resounded to running an 80thou deck to get somethign akin to a usable CR of 9.8:1. Ideally I would have liked to run a deck of 50thou / 60thou but there just isn't the avail CCs in the heads to start with. It's a shame because I see real promise in the heads.
Thought you'd like to see the end results.


I'm quite excited to see how these heads run as once the air flow is sorted through the fin castings etc, I think they will run cool and there is plenty of material to remove from the inlet ports to get some more flow in there.
I decided to have the step removed completely and have the Combustion Chambers laid back to unshroud the Valves. They are very shrouded, probably due to the fact they come as standard for 85.5mm and then opened to 94mm with no any extra work done to glean the best out of the larger Bore.
The heads measured 56cc with the step and with the work done we could only get them to 50cc. They were polished after the grinding out was done, and we figure that we may have gained nearly another 0.5mm if we were lucky but are working on the basis that it's just 50cc.
So I'm resounded to running an 80thou deck to get somethign akin to a usable CR of 9.8:1. Ideally I would have liked to run a deck of 50thou / 60thou but there just isn't the avail CCs in the heads to start with. It's a shame because I see real promise in the heads.
Thought you'd like to see the end results.


I'm quite excited to see how these heads run as once the air flow is sorted through the fin castings etc, I think they will run cool and there is plenty of material to remove from the inlet ports to get some more flow in there.
Last edited by stevepugh on Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
roymofoco
- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:27 pm
Re: MoFoCo 050 Heads.
results coming soon
Last edited by roymofoco on Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
- stevepugh
- Posts: 144
- Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:28 am
MoFoCo 050 Heads.
The guy that did my headwork in the UK is Paul Millar from Harry Harpics and he uses them all the time and with turbo engines and says that they run very cool. Much cooler than other heads such as CB considering that turbos generally are a massive heat generator.
So I'm a little more confident based on the fact that the 050 is his actual head of choice as he believes that after the Casting marks and Fin Castings are all clear and some porting is done, that they make very good numbers.
So I'm a little more confident based on the fact that the 050 is his actual head of choice as he believes that after the Casting marks and Fin Castings are all clear and some porting is done, that they make very good numbers.
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
Re: MoFoCo 050 Heads.
9.8:1 no problem, should rock fine on regular with a Web 86B@112 LC. 
They came out nice, can you dish the pistons?
They came out nice, can you dish the pistons?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
- stevepugh
- Posts: 144
- Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:28 am
Re: MoFoCo 050 Heads.
Yeah. I was shooting for 9.5:1 but I'm happy with 9.8.Piledriver wrote:9.8:1 no problem, should rock fine on regular with a Web 86B@112 LC.
They came out nice, can you dish the pistons?
The cam is an Engle FK10 so does prefer a higher CR. I'm using 1.4 Ratio Rockers.
I have .024" deck in the cylinder and will be running a .060" copper head gasket.
I could dish the pistons. But I don't want to get involved with that. If and when I Goto turbo in the future, I will either run a higher deck even still. Or buy some pre dished / notched wiseco or something. Or look at getting mine done. They are forged AA Pistons.
-
Dougs Auto
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:54 am
Re: MoFoCo 050 Heads.
Despite all the hoo haa on the Mofoco heads I want ahead and purchased a pair. main reason was for the extra cooling ability. My opinion the castings were better than the pair of heads from scat. I did just as much clean up on the Scat heads that I did on the Mofoco heads. so you need to clean out some casting flash I thought it was no big deal. as far as the extra cooling I'll know in a couple weeks when I dyno it. so far very happy with the heads.
Dougs auto service
Dougs auto service
-
andy198712
- Posts: 2433
- Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:01 pm
Re: MoFoCo 050 Heads.
i had to clean and drill a lot out of my 044's cooling passages....
- 63busguy
- Posts: 200
- Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:40 pm
Re: MoFoCo 050 Heads.
Anyone have any data yet? CFM or temps?
On tos it was mentioned that roy takes cht readings from a tin screw not the spark plug. That would account for lower temps. What chamber casting does the 050 use?
On tos it was mentioned that roy takes cht readings from a tin screw not the spark plug. That would account for lower temps. What chamber casting does the 050 use?
- Clatter
- Posts: 2056
- Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 1:01 am
Re: MoFoCo 050 Heads.
It looks to me like the heads pictured above could get a bit more chamber if you wanted it.
IMHO,
You could 'lay back' the chamber from the valve seat a bit more,
Said another way, have the chamber relieved a bit more near the seat.
Or even said a third way;
Rather than having it come at an angle from the seat to the quench pad, have it carve a deeper 'arc'.
Hope that makes some sense.
Does anyone else look at those and think that they didn't get the chambers hit as hard as other typical heads done by pros you have seen?
Something i would like to add is that it has been a LONG time since i have seen a nice set of OG German 040 castings for sale.
Brazil/Mexico/China castings are really the only fair comparison to these MoFoCo heads,
As they are actually for sale these days...
IMHO,
You could 'lay back' the chamber from the valve seat a bit more,
Said another way, have the chamber relieved a bit more near the seat.
Or even said a third way;
Rather than having it come at an angle from the seat to the quench pad, have it carve a deeper 'arc'.
Hope that makes some sense.
Does anyone else look at those and think that they didn't get the chambers hit as hard as other typical heads done by pros you have seen?
Something i would like to add is that it has been a LONG time since i have seen a nice set of OG German 040 castings for sale.
Brazil/Mexico/China castings are really the only fair comparison to these MoFoCo heads,
As they are actually for sale these days...
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!
Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
- stevepugh
- Posts: 144
- Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:28 am
Re: MoFoCo 050 Heads.
Long time since this thread was alive, Just thought I'd post that I had the engine Dyno'd last week and it produced 165HP @ 5606RPM using the MoFoCo Heads.
I'm not sure if that is due to the heads, or if I would have made similar power with other heads. But I can tell you one thing, the engine pulls like a freight train and 165HP is very very respectable. That's over 215HP/ton which out powers a huge amount of expensive sports cars.
I'm not sure if that is due to the heads, or if I would have made similar power with other heads. But I can tell you one thing, the engine pulls like a freight train and 165HP is very very respectable. That's over 215HP/ton which out powers a huge amount of expensive sports cars.