Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Chris, I have never heard of the color "as usual blue" before; is is similar to the standard STF "as usual red"? :P

Your car looks pretty good especially in that color.

Lee
Chris V
Posts: 3416
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:01 am

Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")

Post by Chris V »

Thanks, Dad and his friend did the bodywork after it was rear-ended many-moons ago and then my Uncle who used to have a job repairing fiberglass got the car, and with a little more bodywork over the course of his ownership and re-sprayed it...I believe it's by Martin Senour...he's always raved it was a cheap, easy, and decent paint to shoot. He's painted a couple pretty bajas, has always said it's a sure-fire way to get it stolen, lol.

Here's a fair picture of before we started doing bodywork again several years ago:

Image
Chris V
Posts: 3416
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:01 am

Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")

Post by Chris V »

Finally painted the media blasted decklid brackets and installed them, with a chrome spring with lighter-than-stock tension...Then to give the cut-up edge some strength I bent-up a stock front swaybar and welded it inside of it - much more rigid now.

Image
Image
Image
Chris V
Posts: 3416
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:01 am

Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")

Post by Chris V »

Well, yesterday drove the Baja out to a friend's house to help with a retaining wall, first time I've driven it more than a few miles in weeks, and apparently the last for a couple more. On the way home I was T-boned at the rear axle while traveling at about 40MPH by a car on accelerating out of a parking lot on my passenger side. I'll need a Type IV CV or two, perhaps a Thing axle, stub axle, and just maybe a 4.375 trans and pair of wheels - I hope the vintage 15x8.5 wheel made it - they've been on this car for twenty years.

Image
User avatar
CentralWAbaja
Posts: 4291
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Dammit Chris, That sucks.
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
STOICH
Posts: 613
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")

Post by STOICH »

Chris V wrote:Well, yesterday drove the Baja out to a friend's house to help with a retaining wall, first time I've driven it more than a few miles in weeks, and apparently the last for a couple more. On the way home I was T-boned at the rear axle while traveling at about 40MPH by a car on accelerating out of a parking lot on my passenger side. I'll need a Type IV CV or two, perhaps a Thing axle, stub axle, and just maybe a 4.375 trans and pair of wheels - I hope the vintage 15x8.5 wheel made it - they've been on this car for twenty years.

Image
what ever it needs.. post it up!
User avatar
turbobaja
Posts: 2826
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:56 pm

Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")

Post by turbobaja »

Wow! Looks like a pretty lucky T-bone w/minimal body damage at least. But what a bummer man :( .

I hope the trans is OK and you can get away with just "minor" repairs. Those wheels are pretty tough, I think they crack/fail completely if they're gonna do anything.

You must have done something right to take a hit like that @ speed and come out as good as you did, glad it wasn't any worse buddy.
Karl

DON'T QUIT
User avatar
Getrdone
Posts: 2978
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")

Post by Getrdone »

Does it turn left well?
Chris V
Posts: 3416
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:01 am

Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")

Post by Chris V »

Yessir it does :)

I had it pointing at the passenger-side sidewalk for a moment, before getting it parallel to the traffic lanes again, but that didn't last long - ended up throwing it into the empty oncoming lanes of traffic in an impromptu 180*...The police were a bit confused as to what transpired, as when they showed up the cars were facing the same direction in the same lane on a 6-lane wide highway.

I got lucky, feeling fine for the most part... had a bunch of muscle spasming in my neck around the collarbone yesterday - but nothing today.

I would be getting the parts ready to repair it, but the last two early passenger control arms I had ended up under the back of my buddy's Rabbit racer...and of course I work at 4am tomorrow, and then a roll into a graveyard shift schedule the same night for three weeks. Planning on going for a hike up Little Si in Northbend on Saturday morning 8:30ish for my Birthday if anyone wants to crash in - hit up the Mac & Jacks Brewery tour afterward.

Image
Last edited by Chris V on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Busk
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:02 pm

Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")

Post by Busk »

bummer to see man, i just got hit the same way in my street bug, spun me around 180 also, a wild ride but not the best feeling. hopefully its not too bad of a fix
Chris V
Posts: 3416
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:01 am

Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")

Post by Chris V »

Good to hear you made it through as well! Dad got punched on the driver's side a couple years back and it was repaired a couple of hours later, aside from the bodywork...But then again, in my first racecar I stuffed it so hard I broke the R&P and bodywork clear to the other side of the car - that took longer to repair :(

Ya' know the other cool part of the story, there happened to be a guy on a nice chopper that came over to see to it I was alright. Turns out he was behind me and I nearly took him out to some degree while I was regaining control, but he said he was most concerned with the next car exiting the parking lot that appeared to be blindly driving into the road as well under the assumption it was clear.
Last edited by Chris V on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")

Post by Piledriver »

If you ride you MUST assume the idiots are in fact actively hunting you.

Not a bad plan in any vehicle these days.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Piledriver wrote:If you ride you MUST assume the idiots are in fact actively hunting you.

Not a bad plan in any vehicle these days.
Yup, that is what I am looking at in my glass buggy. I need to install a door bar especially after I got run into while stopped by a quad (overloaded small quad with a greenie driving... after a Green: “close down the dunes to off-roader's” rally); he got me in the LH rear 15 X 15 steel wheel and bent it.

Passenger cars have from what I can tell a rippled piece of stock in the door the width of the door to take the load; I want it for the same side impact reason and to help distribute the loads forward and aft. I have been trying to find something like that as 1 1/2" tube is kind of too big in diameter with the way the body is built. My seats are as far towards the center as possible but I am still almost against the side of the buggy.

I could use some RR track (probably what Herbie would suggest) but it is too wide (even narrow gauge track is) and way too heavy and if you got caught taking the crash barriers from the side of the road (another Herbie suggestion?) it is both illegal and it makes the road unsafe for others. I wonder if there is some 1” wide by something like 2” tall X .120 wall rectangular tubing available (just thought of that while I was writing this).

Lee
User avatar
bajaherbie
Posts: 9967
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")

Post by bajaherbie »

:shock:
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
User avatar
motorbreath53
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 5:57 pm

Re: Chris' car (aka, "project on back burner, building Ark")

Post by motorbreath53 »

bummer man... glad you're ok.
Baja5 was right...
Post Reply