200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'
- Wally
- Posts: 4575
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am
Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'
Sorry, let me rephrase it: where does your question come from? Since you obviously already know what the general opinion is, why the question?
- Kalle
- Posts: 441
- Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:10 am
Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'
I asked because I was curious about your mouse engine set up. Obviously I would not have asked seeing your reaction, sorry.Wally wrote:Sorry, let me rephrase it: where does your question come from? Since you obviously already know what the general opinion is, why the question?
- yvre
- Posts: 501
- Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:58 am
- Wally
- Posts: 4575
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am
Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'
Thanks Yvre
Drove the car 440km to and 440 from the event and the engine made 155 Wheel-hp and 174 crank-hp which won the contest:
Some pics from the Challenge dyno meet ('Bitchspeed Maikäfertreffen Warm-up party'):
http://www.pixum.de/viewalbum/id/6179392
Drove the car 440km to and 440 from the event and the engine made 155 Wheel-hp and 174 crank-hp which won the contest:
Some pics from the Challenge dyno meet ('Bitchspeed Maikäfertreffen Warm-up party'):
http://www.pixum.de/viewalbum/id/6179392
- Dan Dryden
- Posts: 488
- Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:56 am
Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'
Congrats Wally! I'm very impressed with your results. Will this 1200cc motor be driving you to Spa in August? I'd Love to take a closer look. 
-
Gunnar
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:26 pm
Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'
Coooool, I love it.
As Kalle wrote, why closed loop?
I really like your work and want to hear your opinion.
(if you don't want it in the open, I'd really like it in a PM, thanks.
Kalle just dumped a link to this thread in my project thread, and i must say you have inspired me, big time the last year, specially after starting my own '75 1303 project. And with this engine it is even closer to my aim.
Keep up the good work and the nice threads.
Gunnar
As Kalle wrote, why closed loop?
I really like your work and want to hear your opinion.
Kalle just dumped a link to this thread in my project thread, and i must say you have inspired me, big time the last year, specially after starting my own '75 1303 project. And with this engine it is even closer to my aim.
Keep up the good work and the nice threads.
Gunnar
-
70dragbug
- Posts: 534
- Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:01 am
Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'
Congrats again from me too Wally! It was a lot of fun! Once those little hesitations are found I think there will be a few more horsepower available? It also ran incredibly cool I think.IIRC CHT was only about 120°-140° Celsius? Inside the car the little 1200 sounded more like a big type 1,pretty raspy,aggressive sound! The best thing is that we got to meet after all these years and have a few beers together!
See you in Spa!
- Wally
- Posts: 4575
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am
Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'
Thanks Gunnar!
Cheers Mark!
Glad you felt it too as we drove around for warming up before the dyno. I think I even might have found the problem: the warm-up temperature sensor had 2 cracks each in the isolation of the wires...I think there has been an electrical connection of both wires now and then as the log also showed jumps in temp reading.
So I agree, there is some hp left on the table, also because the tune was extremely conservative in respect of the cast Mahle pistons.
BTW, CHT wasn't connected at the moment though
I already removed the engine and started on the assembly of the T4 today, so no T1 at Spa Dan as I want to chase a certain Race-taxi Bus with a twin-turbo 993 engine
Cheers Mark!
Glad you felt it too as we drove around for warming up before the dyno. I think I even might have found the problem: the warm-up temperature sensor had 2 cracks each in the isolation of the wires...I think there has been an electrical connection of both wires now and then as the log also showed jumps in temp reading.
So I agree, there is some hp left on the table, also because the tune was extremely conservative in respect of the cast Mahle pistons.
BTW, CHT wasn't connected at the moment though
I already removed the engine and started on the assembly of the T4 today, so no T1 at Spa Dan as I want to chase a certain Race-taxi Bus with a twin-turbo 993 engine
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
- Dan Dryden
- Posts: 488
- Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:56 am
Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'
Wally wrote:I already removed the engine and started on the assembly of the T4 today, so no T1 at Spa Dan as I want to chase a certain Race-taxi Bus with a twin-turbo 993 engine
Sorry to go off topic slightly.
-
andy198712
- Posts: 2433
- Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:01 pm
Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'
Amazing result!!
My daily is a 1200 bug and maybe when new made 34bhp, but to think your getting so much more, like 5 times more then stock!! Mental!
My daily is a 1200 bug and maybe when new made 34bhp, but to think your getting so much more, like 5 times more then stock!! Mental!
-
70dragbug
- Posts: 534
- Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:01 am
Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'
A loose connection on the CLT/warm up could be a reason why it used more fuel also.I would have expected your AFR to be richer than what it was.But if there is a loose contact it makes sense that it hesitates during acceleration turning on and off?
From the youtube videos I´ve seen, that T1 taxi driver punches that thing pretty hard....you do have enough horsepower to beat him though! That´s a race I definetly want to see in person!
From the youtube videos I´ve seen, that T1 taxi driver punches that thing pretty hard....you do have enough horsepower to beat him though! That´s a race I definetly want to see in person!
- Wally
- Posts: 4575
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am
Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'
Nah, he has twice the road holding and driving capabilities then me, but its nice to have a goal 
-
AldoQ
- Posts: 48
- Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:24 pm
Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'
Hi Wally
cam specs????
wow ,very nice car and engine, inspirational
best regrads
cam specs????
wow ,very nice car and engine, inspirational
best regrads
- Wally
- Posts: 4575
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am
Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'
Thanks! It had an FK-7 with 1.4 rockers at the Challenge.
-
70dragbug
- Posts: 534
- Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:01 am
Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'
...which made it sound pretty pissed off 