1914 turbo bug

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
User avatar
bazibbo
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by bazibbo »

I'll have to base it on the S40 DTA as I've already headed off down that route ( shame cos there's a lot more help around for MS) Mines currently an ignition only ECU but upgrades to the full monty for anout 200 gbp. (full monty! does that work after crosing the pond?)

I'll start posing questions about which way to go when I get my engine quote back, but suspect I'm going to be baseing it on the existing Mexican or German rather than CB, Redline or VW speedsport...... dunno yet. The plot thickens
_____________________________________________________________________________

'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo

My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
User avatar
bazibbo
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by bazibbo »

Oh dear!

it's beginning to look like the sensor position setting should be 51 deg BTDC and not 56 deg BTDC.

Does this mean that in actuality I'm adding a further 5 degrees advance to every one of my settings! So I'm up to 37 deg before boost comes in. It was definately pinking /detonating away on light throttle openings before the boost came in.
_____________________________________________________________________________

'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo

My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
User avatar
Dan Dryden
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:56 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by Dan Dryden »

I would have expected the person who tuned it to ensure the calibration was correct. Most ECU's have an ignition locking facility which enables you to check the alignment with a timing strobe.
User avatar
bazibbo
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by bazibbo »

Me too Dan, I made sure they knew that everything needed checking.

I'm so tempted to buy a decent AFR wideband, stick the carb back on and go from there. They were pretty adamant that the fueling wasn't far off, they were checking it all along, so it's beginning to sound like an ignition only problem.

I'm more concerned about getting my car back on the road and having a bit of fun with it this year.

Still waiting to hear back from my engine builder :|
_____________________________________________________________________________

'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo

My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
User avatar
bazibbo
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by bazibbo »

OK so things have taken a turn for the better.

Picked up the engine on friday night and amazingly the damage was minimal and was mostly due to a pushrod jumping out of its 'cup', causing a slight kissing of valve and piston. Needed a new valve and pushrod only, which I was pretty happy with and only cost me £125, or about 200 dollers in your money. I still have no idea as to why it jumped out; I'm told it's usually over revving, weak springs or possibly the effect of very high boost on springs, but oddly none of that was remotely relevant at the time it went pop.

The good news is that for now I an continue with the carb and go with fuel injection when I can afford it, rather than having to get it.

Image
(all a bit simple and I'm not proud of my throttle linkage)

So the engine is now in, (sorry, I forgot to take a photo while it was light! it does look better than that in daylight) everything is plumbed up and I've written my own map (shock!) based on every other map I've found on here and your comments. I doubt if it's the best map in the world, but hopefully it's reasonably safe.

Image

I'm now just having my usual problems of flat battery and single handed fiddling stopping play, so I haven't had it running yet (sooooo frustraiting).

Looking forwards to this...
Last edited by bazibbo on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
_____________________________________________________________________________

'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo

My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
User avatar
Vee Dub Nut
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:01 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by Vee Dub Nut »

From just a quick glance, that ignition map looks much better than what you first posted. Good luck and keep us informed!
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by miniman82 »

Map looks much better, just make sure your AFR's are in check and keep an ear peeled for the rattles of detonation. You should be fine.
Image
User avatar
bazibbo
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by bazibbo »

thanks guys.

Work permitting, I'm hopeing to ger her started one evening this week. I'll let you know.
_____________________________________________________________________________

'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo

My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
Clonebug
Posts: 4763
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:28 pm

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by Clonebug »

Check the rocker arm cup for damage or excessive wear.

Also you might want to see if the rocker arms clear the valve spring retainer in all positions.

There have been a couple threads posted elsewhere that ran into that problem. It would be more likely if you have a higher lift cam or ratio rockers.

Just a thought......

Clonebug
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
User avatar
bazibbo
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by bazibbo »

thanks Clonebug.

Well after an embarassing start when I messed up the ignition lead order, it started. I did double check the leads at least twice with the info I had at hand, but given the popping and f@rting going on, I decided to reverse the leads.

In my defence, it's not as easy as it used to be with a distributor :oops:

It then fired up immediately, although I had to stop after a few seconds as it'd managed to spin the oil filter off enough to spurt oil everywhere. So half a bag of kitty litter later and I'm ready to try again, though I'll be securing the filter somehow, maybe a jubilee clip and wire.

Roll on round two....
_____________________________________________________________________________

'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo

My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
User avatar
bazibbo
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by bazibbo »

Been having more trouble with the additional oil cooling / filtering this week.

I managed to secure the oil cartridge, but sadly blew a hole in my cooler instead! not a happy bunny. :(

I think the biggest problem has been the lack of a thermostat and the cold weather we're having at the moment in the UK. (that's relatively cold weather.... it's hovering just above freezing today) I've moved from semi synthetic oil to mineral and totally forgotten the issue about cold oil turning to treacle, and it was a warm October / November when it was running last.... never mind.

I did get the car running on the new map and had a quick run out to see how things were running. I'm still getting a lot of audible detonation so didn't go far. It's appearing around 2000 - 3000rpm (no rev counter yet) as I begin to accelerate and build boost. I don't think it's happening on boost, but I'll be getting back to the rolling road as soon as possible to check thing out. I still don't have an exact position for my ignition sensor, it's currently at 51 deg which should be not far off, (had it at 56 deg btdc) but strangely it still detonates as much as it did before... odd. I did try it at 49 deg but I couldn't get it started.

Boost is currently about 5psi, which doesn't feel up to much.... but I'll be winding it up to 10 psi as soon as I get it on the rollers.

This weekends job is to sort the oil cooling by fitting the thermost and try and sort the throttle as I don't think I'm getting full throttle.... then get it booked in at the tuners.

Today I feel like a real amateur...
_____________________________________________________________________________

'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo

My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
miniman82
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by miniman82 »

If you're still having trouble, DON'T DRIVE IT.
Image
User avatar
bazibbo
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by bazibbo »

don't worry... I literally did a few hundred yards up the road before I realised it wasn't quite right and I'll get it trailered (or towed) to the rolling road.
_____________________________________________________________________________

'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo

My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
Boardpaul
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by Boardpaul »

Any updates on this?
Also do you know what jets your running on the carb?
Shortly be building a 1835 turbo using a R5 carb.
Cheers
User avatar
bazibbo
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am

Re: 1914 turbo bug

Post by bazibbo »

I'm hopefully about a week away from an update, but as yer asking, and my brother went out with a lass from Huddersfield, in his youth! here you go...

Bug spent a few hours at the local rolling road (again!), trying to fettle the group A renault 5 carb. Sadly though it was beginning to look like it's simply not suitable for the 1914 and I decided to bite the bullet and bring the next stage forward. Whilst the group A carb can easily cope with the boosted requirements of the engine, it has huge problems with the smaller throttle openings, to the extent that I'm experiencing lean spots that they can't iron out with jetting.

So, in an attempt to stop throwing good money after bad, and because my latest box of bits had arrived from across the pond.... I've gone fuel injected.

Image

So here's the Mexican fuel injection stuff (thanks Bill) with uprated fuel rails, injectors, throttle body and inlet manifolds (guess that's all of it then) and here's my to do list:
  • Upgrade DTA ECU
  • Upgrade fuel tank outlet by adding a sump
  • Upgrade fuel pressure regulator
  • sort fuel lines to the fuel rails
Then it's back to the rolling road to finalise the sensors and get it all set up. I'll be looking to do it as cheaply as possible for now but improving things as time goes by, so I won't be running a closed loop setup with wideband sensors and the like, which makes things a bit simpler and cheaper.
Last edited by bazibbo on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
_____________________________________________________________________________

'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo

My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
Post Reply