Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - SOLD

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
namelesswonder
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:37 am

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin!

Post by namelesswonder »

Spring break car plans failed fantastically due to rain. Hopefully I can get something done over a weekend before the summer arrives, but it's seeming unlikely due to the amount of work I neglect during the week with work and classes happening.

New developments: windows are even harder to crank up/down...new regulators will be in store for this summer, I guess. Passenger side door is hard to open and close, couldn't find WD-40 in the garage so no idea what's going on there. Hopefully it's fixable =\
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin!

Post by CopperBaja »

WD-40 might be the problem with the window regulators too....or some grease is better.

I feel your pain on the lack of time with work & school. All I have are the weekends...and even just a few hours then.

My spring break isn't til the end of the month...we are spending it out of town, though. 8)
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
namelesswonder
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:37 am

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin!

Post by namelesswonder »

Attention to Franz returns after graduation, May 23. Graduating with a BA in English (hope it ends up being useful somewhere) and 3 years of experience at a technology Help Desk.

-Borrow make-shift engine stand from fuser (please?)
-Replace oil cooler & seals
-Replace push rod tube seals (and possibly the tubes, think we kind of messed them up the first time around but I forget)
-Hope for the best...

Future goals
-replace e-brake cables
-replace CV bolts & final drive seals, hope for the leaks to stop
-replace tranny fluid
-install tach/other gadgetry
-new steering damper
-new window regulators
-trim steel fenders from Sneaks for the rear fenders...need some push-welt for the edges or something like that
-cheap insulation to line ceiling before installing headliner (for heat, not sound)
-which means I also need that new front windshield
-musssiicccccccc (but that means sealing off the door panels more...'cause right now the doors collect water)
-BUY NEW REAR TIRES...need to actually think about sizes first
-other stuff

sort of in order of how I want to get it done
User avatar
fusername
Posts: 6806
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin!

Post by fusername »

man I forgot how early you get out. I just signed up for classes :?

fun list, best part is half the partsneeded have already been collected, they just need to be doctored and installed. maybe some warm weather w/o rain and stuff will even get done!
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin!

Post by CopperBaja »

namelesswonder wrote:Graduating with a BA in English
Awesome! An early Congratulations! is in order. :)
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
Qurtys Lyn
Posts: 1558
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin!

Post by Qurtys Lyn »

fusername wrote:man I forgot how early you get out. I just signed up for classes :?

fun list, best part is half the partsneeded have already been collected, they just need to be doctored and installed. maybe some warm weather w/o rain and stuff will even get done!
You want to feel really bad, Today was my last day of classes. :twisted: Get my Associate's in Computer Science next Friday. Then it's on to Bachelordom.

And congrats NLW.
Fusername's evil twin

'72 Std Beetle - 1641 CC
BRAT Motorsports #936
User avatar
Sneaks
Posts: 1653
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 am

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin!

Post by Sneaks »

remember i still have those gauges for you up here. If we don't meet up in the next month, I'll see about dropping them off on my way through down to NJ.
User avatar
ajdenette
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:18 pm

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin!

Post by ajdenette »

I have some used oe window regulators hanging around I got a few to spare :roll: and if you want a real engine stand I can pull the 1.9 off it if its still on there and you can borrow my cummins tool sale engine stand :lol:
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
User avatar
namelesswonder
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:37 am

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin!

Post by namelesswonder »

Thanks for the gratz everyone.

ajdenette, I think I'll be good for the engine stand as long as fusername still has the make-shift bedframe one and we can borrow it?

Sneaks, I doubt I'll be heading towards NH anytime soon so just let me know when you're thisaway. The gauges will be wonderful, just gotta figure out how to install them and get them working =P

Some discussions need to be had with my dad about $$$ concerns and outsourcing some work to ensure reliability and a more timely repair. I want to start applying to jobs ASAP and will probably need my car for the jobs, let alone interviews. Even at a shop, it would be faster to bring my car in somewhere for work than to rely on weekends and my dad's availability.
User avatar
namelesswonder
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:37 am

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin!

Post by namelesswonder »

Bump to remind myself to update. Graduation resulted in a nice chunk of change so I want to figure out Franz's future ASAP. Might start looking for places to do some work for me, but pretty sure I'm out of luck (the only two places I know of I really don't want to go to for various reasons).

-emergency brakes (aka. replace them 'cause both are broken, have the cables, but the axle nuts are jammed to hell once again)
-engine (aka. the mysterious oil leak from hell)
-transmission (aka. drain that bad boy, change up mounts, replace CV bolts and re-seal under tranny-side joints with silicone)
-...and then the rest is "superficial", non-safety, or purely aesthetic (window work, various interior adjustments/improvements, sound system, window regulators etc.)

Notes to self: Need a new plastic headlight bucket, price out off-road tires to maybe sell mine.
User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 3509
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin!

Post by Skidmark »

Congrats on the degree...Good luck for your future!
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
User avatar
Sneaks
Posts: 1653
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 am

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin!

Post by Sneaks »

I'll try to get down your way soon, not this weekend but maybe the next one.
I might be interested in those back tires if you decide to sell them, they are better than what i have out back right now.
User avatar
namelesswonder
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:37 am

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project

Post by namelesswonder »

Okay...not the update you all were hoping for.

I'm killing this project. Numerous things have lead me to this decision, but Franz is not something I can really work on right not, and it's not worth holding onto and taking up space on right now either. I need to sell this car. If I come back to cars anytime soon, I'll be looking to invest in something that runs immediately and doesn't need too much work, to get me to work (assuming I get the Apple job I'm gearing for). I hope to get another Volkswagen project, or at least a nice little WORKING bug someday, but that is for some other year.

If you sent donations that have not yet been installed (or I haven't received, which I think is the case for most), please get in touch with me/the person that has the item(s) and I'll get them back to you if you want. Or get in touch with whoever has it, and let me know if you'd like help shipping it back...not really sure how to handle this. I don't really have $ to send things back to people.

I can be reached at silly(dot)little(dot)goth(at)gmail(dot)com (haha yeah sorry, not worth making a new email address and filling people in on it blah blah blah). I don't plan on coming back to the forum for the time being, so that's the best way to reach me.

Thank you all for your well wishes, support, advice, and donations over the past almost-3 years. It's been a great learning experience, and I am glad for having had this opportunity, even if it's not working out the way I had always hoped. If you know of anyone in New England who might want to purchase this beastie, please let me know! I haven't figured out what a reasonable price is yet. And I should probably at least fix the emergency brakes before it goes anywhere... After that, it could be driven away...as long as you carry extra oil and aren't going too far.
User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 3509
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project

Post by Skidmark »

:cry:
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
User avatar
hotrodsurplus
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:43 pm

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project

Post by hotrodsurplus »

namelesswonder wrote:Okay...not the update you all were hoping for...I need to sell this car.
The right decision isn't always the easy one. I had to sell off a lot of things close to me to get to where I am today, and while I miss them I wouldn't change it for anything. Just keep posting. The cars unite us but we're really here for the people and friendships.
Locked