SEATS Discussion - Anything and Everything relating

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
FJCamper

Re: SEATS Discussion - Anything and Everything relating

Post by FJCamper »

We've used hard fiberglass and those soft hollow plastic seats, but the best for road racing we've got is the aluminum seat. This one weighs 6lbs without mounting base, and we cushion it with a good quality foam seat bottom and a lumbar support pad which are held in place by industrial Velcro.

The idea is to save weight, and transmit a true "seat-of-the-pants" feel to the driver of everything going on in the chassis.

FJC
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

One thing to watch is the total width of the seat. Measure that and make sure you can still use your parking brake.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Steve--

And interference with your roll cage. We have little to no room for foam padding.

FJC
fusername

Post by fusername »

I am very seriuosly considering either some corbeau baja SS seats, or the corbeau low back with a headrest, as the all cloth seat shouldn't get as hot in the sun in my buggy as the half vynal half cloth SS seat. Are there any other cheap suspension seat makers that wont fall apart after one year?
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
superstar

Post by superstar »

I have 16" wide racing seats to fit my butt. If your passengers have wide rear ends you better get wider seats for them to fit into. One advantage to the skinny seat is I don't have to give my mother-in-law a ride in the car.
fusername

Post by fusername »

looking into the SS, even tho a bunch of ppl seem to be running them happily in thier bajas, I don't think i can squeeze them into my buggy. mine is a fiberglass, and I have about 20 inches of width to play with. are there any nice skinny seats in the 200 dollar range? any recommendations?
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
SparksLP

Post by SparksLP »

Anyone have rough measurements on how wide of a seat will fit in a Beetle? I have a '66. Also, how much does a generic roll cage limit that space?