How big is too big (tire size)

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
maurice

How big is too big (tire size)

Post by maurice »

So I’m just getting my car back to running, and I’m planning to get some tires for street and track days. I’m able to fit up to 235-40-17 front, and 275-40-17 rear, but are there performance downsides to having such a large tire? Will my bug be too light to keep heat in the tires? Is my steering going to suck if I go big?

In the effort of saving money, I can get some super affordable 275-40-17 Toyo ra1’s, but not sure what I’d need to balance them in the front with. Would a 205 be enough?

The car is a bit unique. ‘66 bug, mid engine, turbo Subaru WRX drivetrain. Probably makes around 275whp. Full roll cage has added some weight. 4 piston CNC rear brakes, 4 piston wilwood front. The engine in the machine shop I plan to make around 450whp mated to a significantly heavier sti 6 speed tranny. Will eventually have a wing and under car aerodynamics.

Thoughts?
maurice

Re: How big is too big (tire size)

Post by maurice »

It appears I asked this question before and totally forgot I did... I tried deleting this post but I can’t. Maybe a mod can help?

Thanks
bad62bug

Post by bad62bug »

You should be fine with the big tires especially being mid engine.
I run 215/45/17 front and 235/50/17 rear with 24mm torsion bars and it handles really nice.
EJ20, Blouch 16g xt, water injection, water to air intercooler, subaru 5 speed
The next mod i want to do is mid engine, can you share any pics of your setup.
maurice

Post by maurice »

I’ve got a thread in the conversion perversion’s section. I’ll update it and add more pictures. There were a few things that I could have designed better, ideas changed after some things were built, so don’t be too critical lol.

Feel free to email me with any questions too
[email protected]
bad62bug

Post by bad62bug »

Thanks