Ghia Road Course Setup

For road racing, autocrossing, or just taking that curve in style. Oh yea, and stopping!
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Ghia Road Course Setup

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Kevin, the version of the Truss/Kaffer Bar/Traction Bar/etc. you posted is a bit different than a lot of them as it used clevises not spherical rod ends. The "Stiffy" goes one step further and connects to the trailing arm pivot but give and take, with the exception of the trans mounts where the whole mess basically originates, the whole thing is still encapsulated within the torsion housing.

This is the reason I think that at a minimum the truss bar connections should go in to the body with doublers on top of the body or better yet into the cage for load distribution. Each time this comes up I look at it a bit differently... maybe that is one of the reasons my buggy is taking so long to finish :roll: :lol: .

Lee
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

To that end, my plan is to brace the frame horns as was suggested by the gentleman who setup this chassis.
Frame horn bracing 3.jpg
The braces go from the torsion bar to the end of the frame horns to prevent excess movement. Before these were installed, there was a reported movement of up to 10mm deflection of the framehorns!
Frame horn bracing.jpg
Frame horn bracing 2jpg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

What you are planning just might work for normal racing or something like that but with longer travel (hang in this case) I am not sure.
001.JPG
003.JPG
This is one of the ideas I played with:

If you weld the seams then the spot welded mounting flanges probably work better as a stiffening flange which might take some of the side to side action out of the game with "some" being the key word.

The adding of a full length of angle iron down the bottom of the mount might work well also as now you would have a triangle.

It is an interesting thought process to come up with the best answer. A lot of the rail owners, especially with "V"-X or heavier water pumpers often remove the dingle dangles and go to a solid mount using the rail's chassis.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Racer156

Post by Racer156 »

Dorgitt, in the setup in your pic it looks like they (or you ?) are running coilovers that bypass the torsion bars. Is this your car, do you believe there is a risk of breaking the shock supports?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

"... but give and take, with the exception of the trans mounts where the whole mess basically originates, the whole thing is still encapsulated within the torsion housing."

I made one not true statement and forgot to mention something:
Body not fitting 003 (2).jpg
Both the forward and the "Pickle Forks" trans mount are attached to the torsion bar housing which is in turn is mounted to the pan's tunnel.
Pan and torsion tube support 02 (2) - Copy.jpg
pan and torsion tube support 03 (2).jpg
The other thing I missed is the hook shaped mounts at the end of the torsion tube and connect to the outside ends of the pan. They have the ability to break fairly easily when abused.

Lee