Is a Vanagon Core Any Help Rebuilding an 091?

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
Clatter

Is a Vanagon Core Any Help Rebuilding an 091?

Post by Clatter »

So, the 091 in my bus is getting a bit balky..
The motor is built and i use it really hard.

I'm picking up that aircooled Bus 091 trans cores are getting really hard to find,
but Vanagon cores are more plentiful.

There's a 4-spider diff that works to upgrade an early 091?
Which transaxles had those?

To convert an early side-shift A/C Vanagon 091 to tail-shift:
viewtopic.php?t=79976&highlight=side+shift
viewtopic.php?t=96524&highlight=side+shift

With cores being a typical source for parts,
Think it would be worth it for me to drop $3-400 bux to get a Vanagon trans??
or would i likely end up with a bunch of junk?

What do you guys do when it comes time to build an 091?
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
Casting Timmy

Re: Is a Vanagon Core Any Help Rebuilding an 091?

Post by Casting Timmy »

The nose cone side shift a lot of parts directly interchange, wouldn't be a bad way to go if you needed a ring and pinion or mainshaft.

The econo super diffs with a good diff cover can take some good power, I know I've used the factory versions of the super diff at times as well. I'd probably check pricing if your core doesn't come with one. You can always pull the bell housing off pretty easy and see the diff and ring and pinion for damage when paying that much for the core. I'd just suggest taking a gasket with you in case you see something you don't like you put it back to sealed condition for them.

Some of the 091 parts you can get now are pretty decent on pricing or were the last time I was building a year or so ago.
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

Thanks for the input Tim.

Are the later mid side-shift trans (not nose cone side shift) good for the mainshaft and R&P as well?
Those two seem to be the most expensive internal parts..

How to tell if it has a 4-spider diff from factory?
Is there a certain code or year those start, or is it a crapshoot?

4-spider factory diffs are selling (asking?) for $300 on TOS, and there's an '86 Vanagon core on CL for $300.
Maybe I'll get my diff and then some possibly-usable other parts for the effort?

I really need to stay off Craigslist.. ;-)
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

I'm not 100% for sure on the later stuff, but I assume the one with the full reverse set up is the one that they cut the pinion shaft down to make the pinion shaft work for 091's.

I know on the 091's they called the better 1-2 hub a Waterboxer hub when I ordered them. VW didn't change a lot of stuff trans to trans, so different years can fully interchange or be slightly modified to work in earlier stuff.

I don't know which ones came with factory super diffs, I do know that Weddle sells better spider gears for the 091 and other bus boxes ( not sure how new you can go on years and it still works). Weddle sells a gear kit for stock and super diffs, you get both side gears and the right number of Weddle spider gears which are supposed to be stronger than the stock stuff. I do know I put some of those econo super diffs in some sand rails with the aftermarket diff cover from Weddle (really made by Folts) and it will take some abuse. One guy I saw a bit I called the wild man, he could destroy transaxles fast...never touched that diff set up with the V6 in his sand rail. He did finally pay to put full Weddle gears in it and hasn't broken anything yet.

I know one time he was trying to ride a wheelie between parking lots and curb jump while keeping the front end up, he said he laughed when he heard the noises as he knew he ripped out 1st or 2nd....forget which it was that time.