Factory cone-style LSD for 091 gearbox

Discuss VW transaxles and transmissions. Gearheads wanted!
ngobet

Factory cone-style LSD for 091 gearbox

Post by ngobet »

Hi everyone,

I recently came across a cone-style LSD for 091 gearbox and couldn't find any information online, so I thought I could be useful to share some pictures.

From outside

here you can see the springs to preload the cone style clutch

springs actually push against the sidegears

and here is the cone. When torque is applied to the diff, the cones below the side gears are pushed harder against the carrier, acting as a clutch to lock the sidegear to the carrier. There are oil galeries to keep them lubricated.

Everything disassembled

Sidegears next to the cones

Another view of the clutch

Output flanges are difficult to rotate separately because of the spring preload on the cones. Holding the diff by hand, I can't move them. The diff gives a good impression, I wonder how it behaves on the street ;-)

This diff came with a bunch of other VW LSD from a workshop which used to repair military vehicles.

Hope that it can help someone.
Passatman

Re: Factory cone-style LSD for 091 gearbox

Post by Passatman »

I am the only other person here with one of these diffs this info will surely help. Just a question can you put here the procedure to disassemble the diff.
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

I am wondering also where to get replacement parts for these also how much torque is the bolts in the gearcarrier torqued to on re-assembly.
Casting Timmy

Post by Casting Timmy »

Cool find, can I ask where you found that? IE US, Europe, Australia, etc?

There are some numbers on the diff cover plate, you might try and search those on the internet and see what you come up with on it. There were aftermarket places that made LSD's and time and different regions of the globe doesn't have all of them known to me.

I really don't know much about LSD's, but found out that a shop I think in Hungry produces T1 LSD units currently. They don't really advertise them on the internet, so it would be hard to find except I saw someone posting a used one for sale and asked about it.

Transaxle parts can be hard to track down as the old timers that know aren't big into the internet and people really aren't as big into the transaxles as the motors. You might try "Flat 4 Racers" onFacebook if you're on there and see if anyone there knows it.
grzesiek

Post by grzesiek »

I got this one too, its not 091 but 002 bearings, flanges and adjusters., also not much info, I suspect it may be US aftermarket since its using cone clutches.
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

Ngobet do you have any procedures for disaasemble and re-assemble of the diff.