Hand TAP Driver?

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Max Welton

Hand TAP Driver?

Post by Max Welton »

My search foo must be weak.

I find myself using a tap to chase some threads in a spot where there's no room to swing a t-handle.

I've often wished for something like a nut driver that would fit a tap. This square drive is 6mm on a side.
20210917_124234.jpg
Any help?

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
V8Nate

Re: Hand TAP Driver?

Post by V8Nate »

I've dug thru my sockets and found a 12pt that fit, a 12pt wrench will work too
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Good idea. My small stuff is all 6-point. I'll be in town later ... see what ACE has.

Thanks!

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Just discovered this is an actual thing called a tap socket. They sellem!

Max
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

Good to know:)
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Sadly there is no set standard for the Tap "Square" sizes, on the drive end of the tap... I have a set of "tap sockets" that are a variety of sizes, some are 1/4" drive, some are 3?8" drive sockets... with Square holes in them and a rubber "o=ring" area inside them that helps hold most taps in place while you drive them, many do not hold at all and require more attention so you don;t constantly drop the tap... But for all purposes I've had, they work *OK*... but still leave a lot to be desired in fit, simply due to the manufacturers of Taps being unable to come up with a standard, because they think it's so cool to have a special tool for machinists to "adapt" to every other tool in the drawer. Machinists are a special group, and love that they have these special skils that others don't... it gives them advantages that the garage mechanic and fabricator and general fix it guy do not have... so why standardize something that "makes us special"? right? It ain't rocket science... but they sure try and make it rocket science.
Last edited by SCOTTRODS on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
SCOTTRODS

Post by SCOTTRODS »

These say they're manufactured to some standard, but I have used them for years and find they are not solid fit for most taps... bbut read the description on the amazon ad... "Ideal for use in areas where a T handle won't fit."... "But that's not all! We'll throw in this set of steak knives to halp you swallow our BS"...
A helpful tool... not a perfect one by any stretch of the imagination.
Tap sockets
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Whelp ... most of ACE HWs stuff is 6 point.

Max
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Decades of tool collection - most of my old "cheap" imported sockets were 12 pt. Having served their purpose at the time, but always at a disadvantage on corroded bolt heads and super tight nuts/bolts. I've since switched to mostly 6-point & better quality (Tekton my go-to brand if they offer what I need), but usually able to find a suitable old 12-pt in my stash for fitting the odd tap.
In a pinch I've also used a length of heavy wall tubing, drilled to fit the square tap into the end with a set screw in the side bearing against one of the flats. Just have to figure out how to turn the other end!
Jeff