KART

Can't afford the rare and extreme car of your dreams? Well just build one.
petew

Re: KART

Post by petew »

It's probably saved you a lot of cash, but that's pretty disappointing. It's sad that many (so-called) tradesmen only want easy jobs. :(

P.s. looking forward to colors. :)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

What is the planned final color or is that a surprise? Based on what I can see it does look pretty good.

Lee
Sepi

Post by Sepi »

Color is RAL7012 basalt grey with few yellow details, like brake saddles, coil springs etc. + brushed aluminum
Sepi

Post by Sepi »

Color is RAL7012 basalt grey with few yellow details, like brake saddles, coil springs etc. + brushed aluminum
Sepi

Post by Sepi »

First layers of the final coat is done. Quite ok, just few small blemishes

Sepi

Post by Sepi »

More pain(t) today ;-)
This really was as difficult as expected, but it is now done - at least looks like it was ok after spray. Some minor flaws but as my first paint project, it could be worse.

As you see, my garage needs now complete cleaning. Watering the whole floor maybe five times has been enough for the paper, but no problem, the time to assemble everything together will start really soon :-)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

For a first paint job, not bad at all. White is considered the "most forgiving" and the lighter colors the easier to get it right. Harder to see runs and orange peel, etc. though. Yellows are difficult not to get blotchy. Silvers, grays and the metallic are probably the most difficult (ignoring the amount of work doing candies). Again, good job!

Lee
Sepi

Post by Sepi »

Today was the dusty job to remove with this machine the old paint from front lid. I found eleven layers and some bondo - actually quite an art.

Before any new paint, the AeroCatch locks must get the slots

petew

Post by petew »

Shoulda have left the rainbow and just clear coated it! Instant gender diversity bonnet! :D
Sepi

Post by Sepi »

Front end cross support looks good now:

Maybe a bit foul side of the lid,

but the other daylight side is now perfect, because next week it'll get something else than ordinary paint ;-)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Note that there is extremely corrosion resistant copper/nickel alloy brake tubing that has been used for decades in locales that use salt.
Looks like copper. It's not.
Not even expensive, never use refrigeration tubing, it costs more.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Sepi

Post by Sepi »

Something done, but still lot to do. Front lid is covered by brushed aluminum to get some light weight illusion:

Original dashboard was quite wrong to this project and something else is coming. Now testing and then continuing with a steering column and maybe some more holes.

petew

Post by petew »

Can't see your pics. :(
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Its possible the originals were too large this was the preview.
I still cannot rationally explain why the stf cares about the image dimensions of external image links.

Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Sepi

Post by Sepi »

petew wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:17 pm Can't see your pics. :(
Yep, there seems to be some problems. My original picture collection is in Picasa3 and there was a nice sync to Picasaweb albums - But now Google is not supporting this sync anymore. So I have to send photos from my laptops hard disc to google+ pictures and there seems to be some issues of the size and publicity.